Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little perspective
(10-31-2021, 09:09 PM)wanga Wrote: Such a bad game to drop. Expecting a mental letdown after the Ravens game but still thinking they’d have enough talent and drive to get over the line. Typical trap game.

I thought when they were up 31-20 in the 4th quarter, it was going to be a done deal.
That'll teach me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Video 
[Image: uqwc2vw1zcyh9desjebb]
Reply/Quote
The negativity is getting out of hand. We played like garbage today and lost by 3.

That just goes to show how talented this team is.

Fact is, this loss is 100% on the defense today. The same defense that was the only one in the league to not allow more than 25 points in any of the first 7 weeks. The same defense that was top 8 in yards/points allowed.

Considering that every other team had a game where they allowed over 25, that means every team has had a stinker. This one was ours. Heck, the Super Bowl Champs gave up 36 points in a loss to Trevor Siemian today.

The 6-2 Titans lost to this same Jets team.

So while this loss sucked and all, yall need to get a grip. If we come out this flat next week, then I'll get it. For now though? The doom and gloom is being laid a bit too thick for my tastes.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The negativity is getting out of hand. We played like garbage today and lost by 3.

Fact is, this loss is 100% on the defense today. The same defense that was the only one in the league to not allow more than 25 points in any of the first 7 weeks. The same defense that was top 8 in yards/points allowed.

Considering that every other team had a game where they allowed over 25, that means every team has had a stinker. This one was ours. Heck, the Super Bowl Champs gave up 36 points in a loss to Trevor Siemian today.

So while this loss sucked and all, yall need to get a grip. If we come out this flat next week, then I'll get it. For now though? The doom and gloom is being laid a bit too thick for my tastes.

Right? Last week it was 'running the table' super-giddy nonsense. This week it's 'worst team evAr' ultra-negative nonsense. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:43 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The negativity is getting out of hand. We played like garbage today and lost by 3.

What gets me is that the people freaking out over a 3 point road loss to the Jets seem to be forgetting the 3 previous road games where they won all in a very convincing fashion. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:48 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Right? Last week it was 'running the table' super-giddy nonsense. This week it's 'worst team evAr' ultra-negative nonsense. 

It's starting to have a game day thread feel. Speaking of which, like I said in the GD thread earlier, we need to stop drastically rewriting the narrative with each W or L. When we do that, we start to sound like a hot take sports show ala First Take or Undisputed.

This was just one of 17 chapters to this season's book. If the next couple chapters are just as bad, maybe we can start worrying about the ending, but for now? Way too soon.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's starting to have a game day thread feel. Speaking of which, like I said in the GD thread earlier, we need to stop drastically rewriting the narrative with each W or L. When we do that, we start to sound like a hot take sports show ala First Take or Undisputed.

This was just one of 17 chapters to this season's book. If the next couple chapters are just as bad, maybe we can start worrying about the ending, but for now? Way too soon.

Good luck expecting that to change.  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 3 straight road games.

Won first 2 by 20+ points, including putting a beatdown on the Ravens in their own house.
Lost the 3rd by 3 points, coming off a huge emotional win and facing a team that had gotten humiliated the week before.

This is the NFL...it happens. Good teams can have letdowns after huge wins. The Jets also beat the Titans, who are now 6-2.

Last week was an outstanding win. This week was an embarrassing loss. Overall, they are still in good shape at 5-3...which I think is better than most of probably thought before the season started. 

Beating the Browns next week is a must now though, so that they can go into the bye 6-3 and stay in contention for the division title. Still a lot of football left, and the fact is, they are 5-3 and haven't even played their best football yet.  Still a lot of room to get better and areas to improve on. IMO, that's a good sign and a reason to remain very optimistic going forward. 

IDK, maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age and not being as cynical as I used to be. Jerry

You know you are pissed at Taylor boss.  Let it go man.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, we won one last week big that we didn't expect to and lost one this week that we shouldn't have. Breaking even is probably not so bad at this stage in the team's development. I'm not sure we are not a year away from being Division Champs, but I'm open to surprises. 
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 12:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's starting to have a game day thread feel. Speaking of which, like I said in the GD thread earlier, we need to stop drastically rewriting the narrative with each W or L. When we do that, we start to sound like a hot take sports show ala First Take or Undisputed.

Yup. Beating the Ravens last week didn't make them the '88 Bengals and losing to the Jets doesn't make them the '93 Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Well said. Go back to the predictions thread if you want, I felt this would be a close game. It was, we were on the wrong side of it. I got a little carried away about how good this team is, sure, but Sunday will tell us something about this team.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: 3 straight road games.

Won first 2 by 20+ points, including putting a beatdown on the Ravens in their own house.
Lost the 3rd by 3 points, coming off a huge emotional win and facing a team that had gotten humiliated the week before.

This is the NFL...it happens. Good teams can have letdowns after huge wins. The Jets also beat the Titans, who are now 6-2.

Last week was an outstanding win. This week was an embarrassing loss. Overall, they are still in good shape at 5-3...which I think is better than most of probably thought before the season started. 

Beating the Browns next week is a must now though, so that they can go into the bye 6-3 and stay in contention for the division title. Still a lot of football left, and the fact is, they are 5-3 and haven't even played their best football yet.  Still a lot of room to get better and areas to improve on. IMO, that's a good sign and a reason to remain very optimistic going forward. 

IDK, maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age and not being as cynical as I used to be. Jerry

I want to think this way, but I see a Browns team that has Chubb back and is going to be desperate.  I saw a Cincinnati defense that couldn't have stopped a college team yesterday.  It wasn't like they weren't healthy.  It wasn't like they were facing a tough opponent.  (Tips hat to the Jets for coming out swinging)  I see the Browns pounding the Bengals with their running game and play-action.  

I will believe in the defense again when I see it.  
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 06:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The nicest take I have is this: plenty of good teams have lost to some QB who came out of nowhere. There wasn't much tape on this White guy, and he looks pretty good.

This loss was definitely on the coaches though. They need to get back in the lab and have these guys better prepared next week.

This season is still an open book. We could finish anywhere between 14-3 and 5-12. We as fans like to re-write the narrative every week, but in truth we won't know the whole story with this team until the book is finished.

Some teams are just not good match ups and it certainly looked like that yesterday.  The Bengals got manhandled on both sides of the LOS.  When that happens throw the skill players out the door.

Who knows, maybe it'll be a wake up call and will propel the team moving forward.  Can only hope because that was a shit-show.
Reply/Quote
Eh..all this game did if prove we're still the Bengals. Here today, gone tomorrow. Good teams beat the teams they're supposed to and win most of the ones that are tougher matchups for them. This loss shows that while this team has potential it is still run by bad owners and questionable coaches.

I have tickets for the Browns game. Not really sure I care to even go right now. Expectations are rather low.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:41 AM)R3stangs Wrote: I have tickets for the Browns game. Not really sure I care to even go right now. Expectations are rather low.

Go to the game. Get loud and help the defense.
Reply/Quote
The thing that really stings is that the intercepted pass looked like it was set up perfectly for Chase to score or at least run for a long damn time. On to the next. Can’t drop this division game at home.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2021, 09:44 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Go to the game.  Get loud and help the defense.

lol. They probably couldn't hear me from my seat. Touching the sky.
Reply/Quote
Well...for the conspiracy minded and there's no shortage of conspiracy theorists anymore, it was a game in the nations biggest television market against the up and comers and Joe Burrow heavily favored to win big. If ever there's an in-season game that had the potential to be scripted this woulda been it.. Once again, if your paycheck demands that you do as you're told you do as you're told unless you don't like getting paid..
Whether I agree with all this..ehhh..It doesn't really matter to me either way because it's still just entertainment and anyone not entertained by White yesterday is missing the entertained gene.. Mellow
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote