Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new coach won’t change much
Honestly I’ve accepted the fact that until Mike Clown passes away or retires this organization will continue to be mediocre. Sure this team might get lucky and make the playoffs but won’t mean much when it will be another first round exit. Watch Marvin go somewhere else and win a super bowl. I’m glad Marv is gone, but I appreciate what he did for us, there’s only so much that can be done with a cheapskate owner though. For instance Marvin wanted to keep Whitworth and he didn’t want to draft Ross. Honestly I fully expect this team to hire from within because Mike Brown is the worst owner to ever exist.
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 08:04 PM)Trademark Wrote: Honestly I’ve accepted the fact that until Mike Clown passes away or retires this organization will continue to be mediocre. Sure this team might get lucky and make the playoffs but won’t mean much when it will be another first round exit. Watch Marvin go somewhere else and win a super bowl. I’m glad Marv is gone, but I appreciate what he did for us, there’s only so much that can be done with a cheapskate owner though. For instance Marvin wanted to keep Whitworth and he didn’t want to draft Ross. Honestly I fully expect this team to hire from within because Mike Brown is the worst owner to ever exist.

Being fair, a lot of people said the same thing when Marvin was hired, just replace the word "mediocre" with "terrible."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Marvin taught MB and the family a lot, and the foundation he set can carry over and be build on by the next HC. A jolt (new HC and staff), a good draft, and an upgraded oline and MB can stumble back in the playoff picture.

Hell, one and done sounds good right about now.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
The problem is, Mike's death/retirement really guarantees nothing. Katie learned everything she knows about running a football team from the old man, so who's to say she wont just decide to make herself GM and pocket a check for doing that job? Or make her husband, or some other idiot relative, the GM? Maybe one of her kids will have the job some day if the franchise sticks around town long enough.

We just don't know what she'll do, but this team has robbed me off all optimism, so it's hard to be too hopeful.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 09:27 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The problem is, Mike's death/retirement really guarantees nothing.  Katie learned everything she knows about running a football team from the old man, so who's to say she wont just decide to make herself GM and pocket a check for doing that job?  Or make her husband, or some other idiot relative, the GM?  Maybe one of her kids will have the job some day if the franchise sticks around town long enough.  

We just don't know what she'll do, but this team has robbed me off all optimism, so it's hard to be too hopeful.

Hopefully Katie has the awareness to recognize that her father's approach to things hasn't worked.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The whole family is stubborn, nothing will ever change as long as Brown/Blackburn owns it. Don't know why anyone thinks otherwise. I know a new coach/QB might make things interesting but that's about it. Brown wouldn't give a 15 year tendered coach that could literally stay as long as he wanted enough say so to pick who he wanted in in the 1st RD, he's damn sure not going to give a new coach anything to work with.
Reply/Quote
Hopefully Katie takes after her grandpappy instead of old dad.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I will send Katie a DVD of Any Given Sunday.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Welcome. I’ve always know this but I’m so tired of looking at Marvin’s dumbfounded tired face. I’d rather have literally nobody as a head coach than Merv Clewless.
Reply/Quote
With a fan base starved for hope, hiring a new HC will provide a long overdue sliver of it. But yeah, I'm mostly resigned to the fact that Mike Brown is the worst owner in pro sports, and this team will always wear him like an anchor. I sincerely doubt any fan base hates their teams owner like we do. The man has always come off as indifferent, aloof, smug, cheap and very football dumb.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
When Marvin was new, he changed a lot, before the playoff losses started mounting.

A new coach can change everything. The secret is, he has to get it done in five years or less. After about five years, the Bengalization sets in.

Have to catch lightning in a bottle, like '81 or '88, but when you get your shot, you have to finish because it will fall apart quickly.

We're never gonna have a shot at a dynasty unless we stumble onto our own Belichick. But with the right coach and a good group of guys, we can make a brief run.

And lately, what have you had? The Patriots and an assortment of flashes in the pan. We could be one of those flashes.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Sticking with the same old won't change much either so..................

Alea iacta est
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 09:27 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: The problem is, Mike's death/retirement really guarantees nothing.  Katie learned everything she knows about running a football team from the old man, so who's to say she wont just decide to make herself GM and pocket a check for doing that job?  Or make her husband, or some other idiot relative, the GM?  Maybe one of her kids will have the job some day if the franchise sticks around town long enough.  

Bingo! Don't expect much if any changes from the rest of the family other than the name Brown to Blackburn.
I very seldom expect changes when things remain in the family other than possibly draining the family fortune by the kids.My old woman uses a phrase, Shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves ..
Quote:You may have heard the old proverb, “Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations.” In Japan, the expression goes, “Rice paddies to rice paddies in three generations.” The Scottish say “The father buys, the son builds, the grandchild sells, and his son begs.” In China, “Wealth never survives three generations.”

Around the world there are many variations on this theme, all used to describe the tendency of the third generation of a family to squander the wealth obtained by the first.
The Three Generation Cycle
[Image: FLV-Marketing-Photos-2_0012-150x150.jpg]The First Generationcomes from a life of hardship and is determined to make a better future for themselves. They are willing to work hard and make the sacrifices necessary in order to achieve their goal. By their later years, their efforts have paid off. They enjoy a more comfortable lifestyle, often with assets to pass on.
Their children, the Second Generation, grow up a witness to their parent’s struggle and understand the importance of hard work. Although they now live a more comfortable lifestyle, they may still remember a childhood filled with frugality. Because of this awareness, they make sound educational and financial choices that help them build upon the foundation their parents worked so hard to create. By their later years, the second generation has acquired even greater wealth.
The Third Generation, however, has no memory of want or struggle. They only know a life of plenty and often lack an understanding of the work that went into building the lifestyle they now enjoy. Not surprisingly, the third generation has a tendency to squander what their grandparents and parents worked so hard to achieve. Thus the Three Generation proverbs.

Mikey did build the family fortune so I expect very little from the 3rd generation. 
Of course our tax codes now favor nepotism so hard telling. From a pure hate of nepotism I hope they do squander it and go belly up. The sooner the better. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
A new coach will do a lot for this team and fanbase. Well, depending on who it is I guess? Hiring within will not give much hope as far as I'm concerned. Thats the "more of the same" recipe for disaster and stagnation. However, if we hire a good coach or up and coming coach, the possibilities are awesome. Fans will believe again and players may believe again. Sometimes, that's all you need.

Mustard seed!

Reply/Quote
Disagree. So u don't sign outside free agents, but with the right coach and good drafts u can make sb runs. For example in we had O'Brien instead of Lewis these last 5 years I see a couple afc championship games at least.
Reply/Quote
The motto for the 2018 season has been announced and Larry David has already filed suit against the team for copyright infringement..Curb your enthusiasm..
Mikey not wanting to lose a nickel relented and the new motto will be We're gonna suck and I'm still gonna get rich!   Katie's dog Scruffy has been named the interim head coach in the event that Marvin actually leaves. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 11:43 AM)grampahol Wrote: The motto for the 2018 season has been announced and Larry David has already filed suit against the team for copyright infringement..Curb your enthusiasm..
Mikey not wanting to lose a nickel relented and the new motto will be We're gonna suck and I'm still gonna get rich!   Katie's dog Scruffy has been named the interim head coach in the event that Marvin actually leaves. 

Not sure I quite get the jest of this thread. ML has lost this team. Some say it was this year. I say it’s been coming since last season.

The effort has not been there. And, regardless of the OC, the last couple of seasons this offense is as predictable (and totally unimaginative) as death and taxes.

We’ve seen the past few weeks how the players are really disconnected with ML. Not playing the high draft picks, or not getting them ready to get on the field, is the HC’s job (in addition to the coordinators). ML has been terrible doing that. As such, he’s had to scramble when the veteran play has fallen off, or the veterans were hurt. Clock management (or lack thereof) has cost more than a few games over the years.

As much as some like Guenther, he couldn’t draw up an effective blitz to save his life. LaZor isn’t the guy. He’s had roughly an entire season to recreate the offense and we’re right back where we started at the beginning of the season.

The right HC (and his coordinators and assistants) will transform a team...as ML did 15 years ago, as Zimmer did with the Vikings, etc.

To say the HC has NO bearing on how the team performs is, at best, disingenuous.

This new page will be a good move and have a positive effect on the Bengals IF( big IF) they choose one of the top assistants out there and let them do their job.

Let’s not revisit the retreads like Gruden, Simmons, Jackson, Guenther.

I do like the idea of PAt Schurmur or Josh McDaniels. There is a lot of talent on both sides of the ball with the Bengals. ML couldn’t synch with it, but a new coach, looking with a new set of eyes, probably could do quite a bit with it.

And, we now know Dalton has hit his ceiling. He’s not going to magically get better. From what ML says, his confidence is pretty fragile, too. So, maybe we let the new HC move in a different direction. With the pick the Bengals will have (top 10), we can get a pretty damned good QB.

Anyway, let’s move away from ML and the retreads. Bengals will be a better team as a result. A new (good) HC will change....A LOT!
Reply/Quote
People baffle me.

Everyone cries about Lewis and says that we need a new coach to get over the hump, so Lewis is leaving, but suddenly we're still not good enough?

We do have a few holes to fill, like on the offensive line, but this team has a lot of talent and has proven that it can win.

I also think we need a new line coach and maybe a few other new coaches.

Troy Blackburn has said that he'll hire a GM, and there's about 0% chance he'll be as stubborn as Mike when it comes to upgrading facilities and personnel because he's not as old school as Mike, sees all of the frustration from the public, and can't be as big of a tight ass as Mike.

We'd have a few playoff wins by now with a coach that wasn't Marvin, and we still have our core players, so a new coach and a few new pieces should keep us competitive enough to make a run at the playoffs and win a few games when we get there.
Reply/Quote
Just a new HC might not change much.

However, a new HC given the power to hire his own staff of assistants, blessed with a little bump in the scouting department, along with some serious leverage on personnel decisions could change the entire climate of all things Bengals.

If there was one single message that I could send to Scrooge McBrown, via dream, ala A Christmas Carol, that would be it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 09:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: Hopefully Marvin taught MB and the family a lot, and the foundation he set can carry over and be build on by the next HC. A jolt (new HC and staff), a good draft, and an upgraded oline and MB can stumble back in the playoff picture.

Hell, one and done sounds good right about now.

No it doesn't.

I'd rather spend my time not watching a crappy team than watching a promising one look like idiots in a playoff game.

It's like this team designed a new way to approach the playoffs.

Enjoy the regular season wins...  but for the love of God don't watch a post season one!

No thanks man.

Only the Buffalo Bills of the early 90s rip out their fans' hearts more than our beloved Bengals.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote