Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AB InBev looking to take over SAB Miller
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/16/us-sabmiller-m-a-abinbev-idUSKCN0RG18320150916

Quote:Anheuser-Busch InBev (ABI.BR), the world's largest brewer, has approached rival SABMiller (SAB.L) about a takeover that would form a colossus producing a third of the world's beer.

A merged group would have a market value of around $275 billion at current prices, and would combine AB InBev's dominance of Latin America with SABMiller's of Africa, both fast-growing markets, as well as their breweries in Asia.

"The real attraction is Africa, where AB InBev has no presence, as well as some add-ons in Asia and Latin America," said Societe Generale analyst Andrew Holland.

AB InBev and other top brewers are trying to move into new markets as they look to shrug off weakness in North America and Europe, where consumers increasingly choose craft beers made by independent players or wine or spirits.

Can I just say that would be one behemoth of a company?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 05:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/16/us-sabmiller-m-a-abinbev-idUSKCN0RG18320150916

Let the beer flow......
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 05:46 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/09/16/us-sabmiller-m-a-abinbev-idUSKCN0RG18320150916

Thus answering the age old question as to how you go about watering down water...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Will they be watering down stock value as well?
Reply/Quote
good lordie...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 08:03 PM)Benton Wrote: Will they be watering down stock value as well?

eh its a watery as any other big bewery beer... Bud miller coors bud being the best of them already.

Hardly every drink any of those so i care little... Bring on the IPA's and Porters.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 05:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Let the beer flow......

"beer"  
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: eh its a watery as any other big bewery beer... Bud miller coors bud being the best of them already.

Hardly every drink any of those so i care little... Bring on the IPA's and Porters.

Their holdings are vast, though. I am a German beer drinker (avatar may give it away) and one of my favorites is Spaten, especially when it comes to their Marzen and their Diat-Pils. AB InBev owns the Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau group in Germany. This is one of the 6 traditional breweries for Oktoberfest in Munchen, Lowenbrau being another owned by AB InBev. Think about that, one-third of the traditional, real deal, Oktoberfestbiere are AB InBev brands. Kind of insane to think about how far reaching they were already, and now they will be adding SAB Miller's stuff to that? Goodness.

Side note, a lot of these "craft" breweries are being picked up by these brewing giants as well. It's really interesting to see these small beers that were once small ventures being gobbled up. Interesting and sad.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 11:06 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Their holdings are vast, though. I am a German beer drinker (avatar may give it away) and one of my favorites is Spaten, especially when it comes to their Marzen and their Diat-Pils. AB InBev owns the Spaten-Franziskaner-Brau group in Germany. This is one of the 6 traditional breweries for Oktoberfest in Munchen, Lowenbrau being another owned by AB InBev. Think about that, one-third of the traditional, real deal, Oktoberfestbiere are AB InBev brands. Kind of insane to think about how far reaching they were already, and now they will be adding SAB Miller's stuff to that? Goodness.

Side note, a lot of these "craft" breweries are being picked up by these brewing giants as well. It's really interesting to see these small beers that were once small ventures being gobbled up. Interesting and sad.

Yes... And Ford owned Jaguar at one time.

Reply/Quote
[Image: snLplqq.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 11:18 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Yes... And Ford owned Jaguar at one time.

I'm just saying, that's a lot of beer brands. 1/3rd of the world's beer if this goes though. Quite a stunning figure.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 12:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm just saying, that's a lot of beer brands. 1/3rd of the world's beer if this goes though. Quite a stunning figure.

I'm trying to understand how the above point relates to the post you quoted then.  As it seems you were attempting to make a different one than you are admitting too.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 12:41 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: I'm trying to understand how the above point relates to the post you quoted then.  As it seems you were attempting to make a different one than you are admitting too.

I was just pointing out that the own more than just those watery beers, and it is a lot of them. AB InBev and SABMiller are both more than just those American flagships we're used to.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I have no idea. I'm so fried this week I lose track of my thoughts sometimes.

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 09:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: eh its a watery as any other big bewery beer... Bud miller coors   bud being the best of them already.

As has been stated already, unless you are buying directly from the small brewery, they are brewed, bottled, and/or distributed by one of those big three.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2015, 07:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: As has been stated already, unless you are buying directly from the small brewery, they are brewed, bottled, and/or distributed by one of those big three.

That's not true at all. There are only a handful of craft breweries that are affiliated with the douches at AB InBev and others corporate giants. No, Blue Moon and Shock Top aren't "craft beer".

Those "small breweries" brew, bottle, and distribute themselves to grocery stores, bottle shops, and other stores all across the nation, and some of them worldwide on their own. They don't need an AB or Miller stamp on them, and they certainly don't need them to brew, bottle, or distribute for them.

ABInBev owns Goose Island and Elysian. SABMiller owns Leinenkugel. Other than that, no other good beer has anything to do with the big two (who is the 3 you're referencing?).
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 08:42 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's not true at all. There are only a handful of craft breweries that are affiliated with the douches at AB InBev and others corporate giants. No, Blue Moon and Shock Top aren't "craft beer".

Those "small breweries" brew, bottle, and distribute themselves to grocery stores, bottle shops, and other stores all across the nation, and some of them worldwide on their own. They don't need an AB or Miller stamp on them, and they certainly don't need them to brew, bottle, or distribute for them.

ABInBev owns Goose Island and Elysian. SABMiller owns Leinenkugel. Other than that, no other good beer has anything to do with the big two (who is the 3 you're referencing?).

This ^^

I make the orders for the bar I work and deal with distributors.  Personally I can't stand Blue Moon, Shock Top, Leinenkugel and Yeungling. But it sells, so I keep it (except Shock Top).  To each his own though. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 08:42 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's not true at all. There are only a handful of craft breweries that are affiliated with the douches at AB InBev and others corporate giants. No, Blue Moon and Shock Top aren't "craft beer".

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that. I think a lot of the misconceptions out there are about what a craft brewery really is.

Now, I know around here some of the craft breweries have worked with the same distributors that distribute the big name ones around the area, but it's mainly for simplification of getting into markets beyond their immediate reach. The distributors never touch the liquid product, though.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 12:11 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: This ^^

I make the orders for the bar I work and deal with distributors.  Personally I can't stand Blue Moon, Shock Top, Leinenkugel and Yeungling. But it sells, so I keep it (except Shock Top).  To each his own though. Rock On

I got so mad one time when I went to a bar having a special on domestic drafts here (this was 8 or 9 years ago) for a dollar a glass. I ordered a Killian's, knowing they had it on tap and it was the least objectionable. They told me they considered it an import. I ended up getting my beer for cheap when I promptly pointed out it was brewed less than 10 miles away and I didn't see how much more domestic it could get.

Domestic v. import and the concept of craft beer in this country is a confusing topic for some people.

Reply/Quote
Sorry, had to interject (and spam the thread) with this good news. Less than 26 hours from the official tapping of the keg to start Oktoberfest this year!

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2015, 05:05 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I got so mad one time when I went to a bar having a special on domestic drafts here (this was 8 or 9 years ago) for a dollar a glass. I ordered a Killian's, knowing they had it on tap and it was the least objectionable. They told me they considered it an import. I ended up getting my beer for cheap when I promptly pointed out it was brewed less than 10 miles away and I didn't see how much more domestic it could get.

Domestic v. import and the concept of craft beer in this country is a confusing topic for some people.

Yeah we have a 3 tier system domestic, mids, and craft.  The craft includes our imports as well but you are correct that many beers that are brewed and distributed domestically are considered craft beers.  Heck many places consider Blue Moon to be craft, and it's produced by Miller.  When people refer to "domestic" they're usually referring to Bud Light, Bud, Coors, Miller, and my bar considers Yeungling Domestic as well.  Instead of saying "craft" or "imports", I just refer to them as premium beers.  Although our beer list is sectioned off as "domestics", "Imports", and "Local".  You're right though it can be confusing at times.
Reply/Quote