Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA
(03-29-2019, 06:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone's premiums went up BEFORE the mandate.

Obviously you forgot why affordable health insurance was on of the biggest issues of the '08 election.

Everyone did though.

Well they certainly haven’t went down since.

Yes, I recognize wedge issues when I see them.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
I thought it was gone as well but I did our taxes yesterday and we got hit for the 5 months my wife didnt have insurance to the tune of $290.
(04-01-2019, 09:25 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: I thought it was gone as well but I did our taxes yesterday and we got hit for the 5 months my wife didnt have insurance to the tune of $290.

Perhaps they didn't back date it when the removed it.   Jerry
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-01-2019, 09:25 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: I thought it was gone as well but I did our taxes yesterday and we got hit for the 5 months my wife didnt have insurance to the tune of $290.

(04-01-2019, 09:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Perhaps they didn't back date it when the removed it.   Jerry

It was repealed beginning January, 2019.
I was so excited when the ACA first became law.

Then I realized they were talking about a "mandate" instead of a "man date".

I guess if you told the truth they did have a mechanism for collecting it.  Seems higher than I remember hearing it would be though.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-01-2019, 02:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was so excited when the ACA first became law.

Then I realized they were talking about a "mandate" instead of a "man date".

You're in Tennessee.  Stick it through one of those holes in a barn, and something will come along to help you out.

Medical debt should be nondischargeable in bankruptcy if you refuse to carry insurance. If you want to take the risk you should deal with the consequences.
More at the link:

Quote:What’s the status of the penalty? Has it been repealed?

There has been considerable confusion about the status of the penalty. So to clarify, the penalty was repealed as part of the GOP tax bill that was signed into law in late 2017, but the repeal doesn’t take effect until 2019. People who were uninsured in 2017 will still face a penalty when they file their taxes in early 2018, and people who are uninsured in 2018 will still face a penalty when they file their taxes in early 2019. But people who are uninsured in 2019 and beyond will not be subject to a penalty.

How is penalty enforcement handled?

Tax returns now include a question about whether you had health insurance in force throughout the year. In many cases, employers, insurance companies, and the exchanges report this data directly to the IRS, but each tax filer has to answer the question each year. The question appears on 2017 tax returns (question 61 on the 1040), just as it did for 2014 through 2016; nothing has changed about that under the Trump Administration.

And enforcement is actually a little more strict for 2017 tax returns than it has been in previous years. For the first time, the IRS is not accepting returns if the filer leaves the question about health insurance blank. So while you could just skip the health insurance question altogether in prior years, that’s no longer an option. And lying to the IRS is considered fraud, so filers will need to truthfully state whether or not they had coverage in 2017.

For most unpaid taxes, there are a variety of ways that the IRS can recoup their money. But the text of the ACA is very clear in stating that taxpayers who don’t pay their ACA penalty are not subject to levies, liens, or criminal prosecution.

The only way that the IRS can collect the ACA penalty is if you pay it voluntarily, or if you’re owed a refund. In the latter case, the IRS deducts the penalty from your refund. Roughly 73 percent of tax filers received a refund in 2017, averaging nearly $3,000.

Source: https://www.healthinsurance.org/faqs/ive-heard-that-the-government-wont-really-be-able-to-enforce-the-penalty-for-not-having-health-insurance-is-this-true/
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
DJT and the GOP have it all figured out....and we'll tell you all about it right after you re-elect them!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/01/trump-republicans-health-plan-vote-after-2020-election/3339232002/

Quote:The Republican Party’s replacement plan for the Affordable Care Act is coming – after the 2020 election.

In a series of late-night tweets on Monday, President Donald Trump provided the first clue about Republicans’ timetable to introduce a replacement for former President Barack Obama’s signature health care law, vowing that the yet-to-be-developed plan would be “truly great” and “work for America.”

“Vote will be taken right after the Election when Republicans hold the Senate & win … back the House,” Trump tweeted.
In the first of three tweets, Trump said, “Everybody agrees that ObamaCare doesn’t work. Premiums & deductibles are far too high - Really bad HealthCare!”

Start the day smarter: Get USA TODAY's Daily Briefing in your inbox
'Ripped off the Band-Aid': End of Obamacare? President Donald Trump resumes an old battle. Here's why.

“The Republicans … are developing a really great HealthCare Plan with far lower premiums (cost) & deductibles than ObamaCare. In other words it will be far less expensive & much more usable than ObamaCare,” he added.

In his final tweet, Trump said. "Also, Republicans will always support Pre-Existing Conditions."

Trump’s tweets come a week after his administration renewed its attack on the ACA, also known as Obamacare, siding with a Texas judge’s December 2018 ruling that the entire law should be tossed out.

In a letter filed with the Fifth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals in New Orleans, Justice Department lawyers said that the lower court’s ruling that the health care law is unconstitutional should be affirmed and that the United States “is not urging that any portion of the district court’s judgment to be reversed.”

Serious question:  Do you supporters still believe his lies or are you willing to hold your nose, turn a blind eye and live with them for purely political reasons?
(04-02-2019, 10:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: DJT and the GOP have it all figured out....and we'll tell you all about it right after you re-elect them!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/01/trump-republicans-health-plan-vote-after-2020-election/3339232002/

Serious question:  Do you supporters still believe his lies or are you willing to hold your nose, turn a blind eye and live with them for purely political reasons?

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fact-checking-trumps-repeal-replace-obamacare-timeline/story?id=46360908

Quote:Following the collapse of the Republican-backed American Health Care Act this afternoon, President Donald Trump appeared to backtrack on his long-held stance that President Obama's signature legislation, the Affordable Care Act, should be repealed and replaced "immediately."

“I never said -- I guess I'm here, what, 64 days? I never said repeal and replace Obamacare -- you've all heard my speeches -- I never said repeal it and replace it within 64 days," said Trump in the Oval Office Friday. "I have a long time.”

But his statement stood in stark opposition to the repeated pledge that a repeal would occur at the very start of his presidency.

Ryan pulls 'fundamentally flawed' GOP health care bill following call from Trump
Trump calls Democrats 'losers' after GOP health bill failure

Trump's campaign website noted the promise in clear terms, saying, "On day one of the Trump Administration, we will ask Congress to immediately deliver a full repeal of Obamacare."

At a speech in St. Augustine, Florida on Oct. 24, he vowed to repeal the current health care law as a part of his "contract with the American voter."

"It's a set of promises for what I'll do in my first 100 days. It includes getting rid of immediately Obamacare, which is a disaster," said Trump.

The line referencing an "immediate" "repeal and replace" was a staple of his stump speech, appearing regularly throughout an ABC News review of transcripts from Trump's primary and general election campaign events.

"My first day in office, I am going to ask Congress to put a bill on my desk getting rid of this disastrous law and replacing it with reforms that expand choice, freedom, affordability," said Trump on Oct. 25, a day after he St. Augustine speech, in Sanford, Florida. "You're going to have such great health care at a tiny fraction of the cost. And it's going to be so easy."

Then, just a week before the election in early November, Trump tied the success of a health care effort to his party's ability to maintain the majority in the House and Senate, which the GOP was able to accomplish.

“When we win on November 8th and elect a Republican Congress, we will be able to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare -- have to do it," said Trump, who also added, "Obamacare has to be replaced and we will do it and we will do it very, very quickly."

A campaign press release on the speech doubled down on the promise in its title: "Donald J. Trump pledges to immediately repeal and replace Obamacare."

Trump additionally tweeted his intention to take action on health care at the start of his presidency as far back as February 2016 when he wrote, 
"We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me. We will save $'s and have much better healthcare!"
Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
[/url]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

We will immediately repeal and replace ObamaCare - and nobody can do that like me. We will save $'s and have much better healthcare!

6:15 PM - Feb 9, 2016
Twitter Ads info and privacy

16.3K people are talking about this

[url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/697182075045179392]
(04-01-2019, 04:40 PM)Au165 Wrote: Medical debt should be nondischargeable in bankruptcy if you refuse to carry insurance. If you want to take the risk you should deal with the consequences.

This is idiotic.
(04-17-2019, 11:15 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: This is idiotic.

So you want all the benefits with no risk, makes sense. One of the reasons we are in the place we are in terms of cost of medical care is because all the people who do skip out on their bills.
(04-17-2019, 11:18 AM)Au165 Wrote: So you want all the benefits with no risk, makes sense. One of the reasons we are in the place we are in terms of cost of medical care is because all the people who do skip out on their bills.

The effin deductibles for most plans will bankrupt a majority of Americans.
(04-17-2019, 11:24 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: The effin deductibles for most plans will bankrupt a majority of  Americans.

You throw around "most" and "majority" but neither is based on fact just your emotional tantrum. Before the ACA about 44 Million people were uninsured which equated to about 13% of the population, this means that 87% had a plan. In 2013 there were about 1 million non business bankruptcies filed, which works out to about .003% of the population. Since 2013 Premiums have increased about 10%.

All this tells me is things aren't that much different than before the ACA and the majority of people had health insurance and they weren't filing for bankruptcy then, oh and we as a country were in a much worse off financial position in general.
Yeah Susan with her pre existing condition can now get insurance but she still can’t afford it because she, like most people make a low wage. Hell, even if she made $20 per hour, with kids, rent/mortgage she still couldn’t afford it because a family plan costs about $80 per week give or take § often, much more than that ... and that’s before insurance will even lift a finger until she meets her deductible. Yeah she saves (very little) if she needs an X-ray or her teeth cleaned but if she needs surgery or you know, life saving medication, she’s f**cked. Better take an Uber instead of an ambulance too.

In my opinion, anyone that agrees with the current system is either elitist or ignorant.
(04-17-2019, 11:35 AM)Au165 Wrote: You throw around "most" and "majority" but neither is based on fact just your emotional tantrum. Before the ACA about 44 Million people were uninsured which equated to about 13% of the population, this means that 87% had a plan. In 2013 there were about 1 million non business bankruptcies filed, which works out to about .003% of the population. Since 2013 Premiums have increased about 10%.

All this tells me is things aren't that much different than before the ACA and the majority of people had health insurance and they weren't filing for bankruptcy then, oh and we as a country were in a much worse off financial position in general.

Well I’m just presuming a majority of Americans make less than say the $20 I mentioned above. I’m sure I’m within reason.
(04-17-2019, 11:46 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Well I’m just presuming a majority of Americans make less than say the $20 I mentioned above. I’m sure I’m within reason.

I gave you the facts, less than .003% of people were declaring bankruptcy before ACA and 87% of people had insurance. Premiums are up 10% so even if I say bankruptcy doubles because of that your less than half a percent of the population. You’re are greatly over exaggerating how dire it is. Do people struggle with it? Yes. Someone has to pay for healthcare though and choosing to pass on insurance is a bet that shouldn’t be rewarded with absolute forgiveness for busting out.
(04-17-2019, 11:51 AM)Au165 Wrote: I gave you the facts, less than .003% of people were declaring bankruptcy before ACA and 87% of people had insurance. Premiums are up 10% so even if I say bankruptcy doubles because of that your less than half a percent of the population. You’re are greatly over exaggerating how dire it is. Do people struggle with it? Yes. Someone has to pay for healthcare though and choosing to pass on insurance is a bet that shouldn’t be rewarded with absolute forgiveness for busting out.

Premiums aren’t the only thing that’s went up 10%. Wages are down § costs are up across the board. So people are struggling, like it or not and no, I’m not exaggerating anything. YOU are understating how dire the situation is for many people.
Your stats don’t include people who can’t afford bankruptcy either. You’re out of touch buddy.