Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACLU attorney: Biloxi is 'generating revenue off the backs of the poor'
(10-22-2015, 12:25 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Sooooooo...... are they going to champion for all the dead-beat dads sitting in jail for failure to pay child support ? It would seem the same situation, to me.  

I would argue that its the same.  Find a way to get their pay.

We have to do it here for employees.  Comes right out of their check with a statement every pay period.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(10-22-2015, 10:53 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: [Image: main-qimg-401b0fc4bb1441e0e681a710719adb..._webp=true]

I get rich?

No, I think they should be paid just slightly less that if they were a regular employee with in the company.

Difference is, where their money goes.
10% will go to a private fund to be given to the prisoner once released (no point in putting them out broke). The rest will go towards paying back society for their crimes.
IE: Murdered/hurt someone? Money goes towards the victim(s)/victim(s) family for compensation.
Once adequate compensation for victims has been reached, the rest will go into the prisoner's private fund granted up on release. In the event of a death, the full amount will be given to their Children, Spouse, Parents, next of kin. No next of kin? Then award it to young college students in the form of scholarships.

I don't see that as being too radical, just trying to use some common sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(10-22-2015, 02:48 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No, I think they should be paid just slightly less that if they were a regular employee with in the company.

Difference is, where their money goes.
10% will go to a private fund to be given to the prisoner once released (no point in putting them out broke). The rest will go towards paying back society for their crimes.
IE: Murdered/hurt someone? Money goes towards the victim(s)/victim(s) family for compensation.
Once adequate compensation for victims has been reached, the rest will go into the prisoner's private fund granted up on release. In the event of a death, the full amount will be given to their Children, Spouse, Parents, next of kin. No next of kin? Then award it to young college students in the form of scholarships.

I don't see that as being too radical, just trying to use some common sense.

The prison industrial complex will not let this happen.  Instead of paying society back for their crimes, they are putting $ back into the pockets of the private prisons.  Just the way it is atm.  The way the lay is written currently, states have to hit minimum bunk occupancy rates or pay additional funds to these corporations.  
(10-22-2015, 03:30 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: The prison industrial complex will not let this happen.  Instead of paying society back for their crimes, they are putting $ back into the pockets of the private prisons.  Just the way it is atm.  The way the lay is written currently, states have to hit minimum bunk occupancy rates or pay additional funds to these corporations.  

Yes I know that.
One more reason why I can't stand the whole process, people (typically the poor that can't afford a decent lawyer) are being sent to jail over petty/borderline stuff that could easily be avoided and the Judges are getting a kick back as well for helping to keep the cots full (kids for cash ring a bell?).

There is a lot of things in my opinion that need a serious make over, and the prisons is one on that list.
(10-22-2015, 06:31 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote:  (kids for cash ring a bell?).
Yup.  Here's another example that makes me want to purge on multiple levels:  Can You Go to Jail for Not Paying Rent?
I'm going to reserve judgement, until more facts come out. The article seemed to me, to be written curiously from the perspective of the ACLU. For all we know, these citizens may have agreed to community service in lieu of paying a monetary fine, and welched on their deal with the court. I'm not saying that is the case, just throwing that our there for supposition.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
they throw you in jail here for failure to pay your fees you compiled while in jail. Then charge you the fees all over again.

There needs to be some sort of consequences but failing to pay a fine or fee should be handled other ways. Garnish wages or tax Returns.
(10-22-2015, 10:40 AM)Ryuko Wrote: It'd be nice if prisons were made to be self-sufficient. Y'know, where prisoners actually did supervised manual labor for the state, such as running farms, digging irrigation, mending roads, etc. But then again, requiring people to be outdoors and away from cable television seems to cause outcries of "cruel and unusual" in today's world.

You used to "pay your debt to society" in prison. Now you just sit around and wait to be somebody's prison-wife.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2015/04/28/how-for-profit-prisons-have-become-the-biggest-lobby-no-one-is-talking-about/

Private prisons for profit are big business.  However, studies comparing cost vs. benefit of private vs. public prisons are lacking to determine which model works best.
If we would end the war on drugs the prison problem would clear up in about 10-20 years.

Prison should be for violent offenders .
(10-23-2015, 01:23 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If we would end the war on drugs the prison problem would clear up in about 10-20 years.  

Prison should be for violent offenders .

100% Agree Lucie.  Holy Shit.

What happens when MJ is legalized nationally?  Do we let out people who are doing life for possession of a plant?  Your damn well right we do.  Those dudes are going to be PISSED though.  Hopefully they like the new weed.  Its our only hope. 
(10-23-2015, 02:09 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: 100% Agree Lucie.  Holy Shit.

What happens when MJ is legalized nationally?  Do we let out people who are doing life for possession of a plant?  Your damn well right we do.  Those dudes are going to be PISSED though.  Hopefully they like the new weed.  Its our only hope. 

I agree we should decriminalize it . However I am not sure we should just flood the streets with inmates. This is partly why I said it would take 10-20 years to let the prison system sort itself out. Not sure of the ramifications, as you said there will be loads of people upset and all they have done is learn how to be better criminals in Jail.

Let me also say, I'm not totally against releasing some or all of them. Just concerned on how it will affect the population.
The obvious solution is lender beware. Unless the debt is partially accumulated through fraud, in which case you're not actually being tossed in jail just for not paying your bills.
The government threatening/awarding you with jail time if you do not pay their fines/fees .... That's one step of away from them executing you.
I'd much rather see the state put a lien on a vehicle and charge interest, rather than jail people for fines.
(10-23-2015, 04:20 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I'd much rather see the state put a lien on a vehicle and charge interest,  rather than jail people for fines.

Seize property? How about just shutting off gov services to the debtors?
(10-23-2015, 05:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Seize property?   How about just shutting off gov services to the debtors?

Not a bad idea.  These people most likely don't have any assets to seize, and little-to-no hope of ever paying back even a fraction of their debts.

Although I find it a bit hypocritical that many in this thread saying there shouldn't be a debtor's prison would have no trouble sending someone there who didn't pay their taxes.  If I spend all my money and have nothing left to pay my taxes, what's the difference?
(10-23-2015, 05:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Seize property?   How about just shutting off gov services to the debtors?

They already shut off services to debtors.
I had forgotten to file my city taxes and they wouldn't turn on the water to the new house I bought, until I had it squared away.
I didn't owe any money and it only took me 20 minutes to fill out, but they were withholding services just for that.
Rolleyes