Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ’s decline...
(11-15-2020, 11:37 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I find it funny that people are now finding lack of effort in his play . AJ NEVER goes up and fights for the ball. Anquan Boldin and Julio Jones are the two most recent WRs that excelled at fighting for receptions. He'll adjust his body to reach a ball but if there is any defender near him, the ball needs to be thrown almost perfect, otherwise, it just gets deflected away. Time to move on.

This is just not true. He made a living going up and high pointing balls for years. Dalton’s passes (I’m NOT hating he just wasn’t the most accurate) were rarely “perfect.”
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 11:59 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: With Los gone and A.J. seemingly done here I hope we can make a run at Thuney in free agency.  Draft an ot in round 1 finally get a decent line going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah they eventually have to bite the bullet and pay a guard. Thuney would be a nice signing he's good and young plus most teams don't let good tackles walk in free agency. The defensive line is also a concern for me we can't get any pressure on the QB. If we bring back Geno he will be 32 coming back from shoulder surgery and has been on the decline. If we resign Lawson, is him and Hubbard enough to get to the QB ? Reader is more of a run stuffer and we'd have a ton of money tied up in this position group, with Hubbard still needing an extension. 
Reply/Quote
AJ didn’t want the Franchise Tag and his ability is declining rapidly. The combination is what we are witnessing right now. This is the difference between the Bengals and winning franchises. The Bengals can’t tell when a guy is done and when a guy has something left. The Bengals seem to always make the wrong decision. Not always, but a lot.
Reply/Quote
they could have got more out of the 18.1mill by donating it to restaurant workers who can't work because of covid.
Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 10:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Another absolutely horrendous game from our former great WR. 0 catches on 5 targets, no separation whatsoever, and some infuriating lack of effort on a couple plays.

AJ is one of my favorite Bengals of all time. I own the man’s jersey. He was a total joy to watch for many years, but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen such a drastic decline in play like this from a former elite player. Maybe it’s because he was out so long, and with other players it’s usually more gradual?

I’ve certainly seen enough though. I’m not even interested in bringing him back on a team friendly deal at this point. We HAVE to move on after this season. He’s gone from being a non-factor, to actively becoming a negative out there.

We’ve got our big play guy now in Tee Higgins. Use that money on OL, DL, CB, TE...anything, idc. Just not a 33 year old WR who’s heart clearly isn’t it anymore.

Not to defend AJ, but the only WR that really played well today was Tee, and even he fumbled.

But the guy is done and needs to be gone.  That position group needs rebuilt and Tee and Boyd are the only keepers.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 12:12 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is just not true. He made a living going up and high pointing balls for years. Dalton’s passes (I’m NOT hating he just wasn’t the most accurate) were rarely “perfect.”

High pointing a ball and fighting for a ball are two completely different skills.

Martin is another guy that gets too many snaps. There HAS to be someone better out there.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:22 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: High pointing a ball and fighting for a ball are two completely different skills.

Martin is another guy that gets too many snaps. There HAS to be someone better out there.

Who’s Martin?

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:10 AM)Whatever Wrote: Not to defend AJ, but the only WR that really played well today was Tee, and even he fumbled.

But the guy is done and needs to be gone.  That position group needs rebuilt and Tee and Boyd are the only keepers.  

Tate wasn’t very good today, but I’d still consider him a keeper.

Reply/Quote
(11-15-2020, 10:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: A.J. not only looks like he has lost a step, he really looks like he has lost interest and that is what is the saddest part to me.
I can handle the skills declining, he is older and has been hurt, but the body language is just really bad.

The throw late in the game where the ball landed several yards behind him, and he just turns to the sidelines and casually walked off while kind of waving his hand almost dismissively. That looked like a guy who has just had it with loss after loss and things just being the same as always.

I don't know if a change of scenery next season gets something out of him again but it is sadly time to part ways with him.

On that late throw, WTH happened on that? Was that on Burrow? Did AJ run a wrong route? That was awful! 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I think some of it comes from hiw own realizations that he's NOT the same AJ, and I'd guess, it's eating him up inside.He has to know he's not the best WR on the team anymore.

That would be #83 and #85.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:43 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Who’s Martin?
Sorry.
Thomas.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:29 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sorry.
Thomas.

Yeah, he’s a bum.

Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 02:33 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, he’s a bum.

But less of a bum then Ross  Hilarious

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
This is likely to bring massive insults and attacks, but I would rather see Ross out there running vertical routes and trying to stretch defenses. He also might be useful in some screens, etc.

Right now. when Green is on the field, the Bengals are playing with 10 guys against 11. If that is because he is injured, whatever. He provides nothing and as much as we didn't want to see it end this way, I don't want him to sour the locker room with young studs like Higgins so in love with the guy.
Reply/Quote
I’ll admit where I was wrong. A few weeks back I thought he was headed back to decency but nope, it’s bad. He can’t catch a burrow spiral and is always sliding or going to the ground as the ball gets there. It’s absurd.
Reply/Quote
This isn't AJ Green's fault.  This mess is on the Front Office.  Like it or not the NFL is a business and teams are supposed to be in the business of winning.  The Bengals continue to let quality players like Andrew Whitworth, Marvin Jones, and Mohamed Sanu walk while retaining the services of former stars like Geno Atkins and AJ Green too long.  The Front Office and the coaches are beyond incompetent.
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tate wasn’t very good today, but I’d still consider him a keeper.

He is one of only 3 WR'S under contract for next year, so we should keep him around as cheap depth next year.  This game really framed his issues.  While he is a big body with a huge catch radius, he doesn't get separation and even undersized CB's can neutralize him with good positional play that allows the to play the ball instead of his hands.  The same thing happened against the Eagles undersized CB's.  
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 01:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Tate wasn’t very good today, but I’d still consider him a keeper.

AJ was still in on 82% of snaps
Thomas 26%
Tate 18%

Higgins 85%
Boyd 79%

How bad can this coaching staff be, after the game Tate had last week and all the mea culpas from the coaches that Tate should get more time, the tape shows he should get more time and the coaches will fix that. Then we see this. Got out snapped by Thomas....
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is likely to bring massive insults and attacks, but I would rather see Ross out there running vertical routes and trying to stretch defenses.  He also might be useful in some screens, etc.

Right now. when Green is on the field, the Bengals are playing with 10 guys against 11.  If that is because he is injured, whatever.  He provides nothing and as much as we didn't want to see it end this way, I don't want him to sour the locker room with young studs like Higgins so in love with the guy.

Yep

It's sad but AJ has become a liability. He needs to be our 5th WR but those guys play ST so he can't even be that.

Like others have said he's lost a step or more. I think he's hearing footsteps bad (afraid of getting injured). He's clearly lost faith in the team/QB/playcalling/scheme ? I dunno ? 

Add all of that up then add in he's never really been a physical WR and........He's done. 

I made a joke thread like 6 games ago bench AJ start Ross. Perhaps it wasn't that far off ?
Reply/Quote
(11-16-2020, 10:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This is likely to bring massive insults and attacks, but I would rather see Ross out there running vertical routes and trying to stretch defenses.  He also might be useful in some screens, etc.

Right now. when Green is on the field, the Bengals are playing with 10 guys against 11.  If that is because he is injured, whatever.  He provides nothing and as much as we didn't want to see it end this way, I don't want him to sour the locker room with young studs like Higgins so in love with the guy.

I'd actually agree but are opposing defenses still respecting AJ? Not saying that's why his play has declined, but if he's still getting a safety to cheat over to his side of the field, he's still bringing SOMETHING. Though, at this point, I'd be surprised if any team is still respecting AJ.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote