Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Contract situation
Wait.....I thought AJ was ride-or-die Bengals?

"I'm not into a one-year," Green said on Wednesday via ESPN.com's Ben Baby. "Give me a long-term [deal] or just let me go."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:09 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Wait.....I thought AJ was ride-or-die Bengals?

"I'm not into a one-year," Green said on Wednesday via ESPN.com's Ben Baby. "Give me a long-term [deal] or just let me go."

Exactly. Only a fool would stay here, he wants his money or he wants to win elsewhere. Sure, maybe he "wants" to stay with one team, it does seem like it. But like I mentioned weeks ago (toot), no NFL player grows up saying "I want to have zero playoff wins!".

Nobody here knows AJ Green, but like we said, AJ will say the right things.

And maybe only Mike Brown would be so foolish to not trade AJ and just let him walk.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:25 PM)BengalsFan1986 Wrote: I probably am blinded, but at this point I’ve accepted the fact that I’m not going to be cheering for the Bengals in the Super Bowl for a very long time. While we wait, having a receiver like AJ Green on the team, a class act player who says he wants to be here and will give his all while he is, seems like it might be the high point for us.

I agree that he’s a class act. I’m just pointing out that this is a wrong move that fans will initially get behind and will contribute to Mike’s losing plan. Many got behind the new Inexperienced Coach that he hired too. Many back his plans as they happen and then give him hell when the plan turns out crappy. The thing is that many of those plans have obvious warning signs... just like this one with AJ.
Reply/Quote
I don't see the Bengals offering him 4-5 years. Who knows though?

IF he's looking for 2-3...I think they'll do that.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 02:49 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm in the camp that if the Bengals are planning on going with a new QB next year then having very talented veteran WRs like AJ Green and Tyler Boyd will be huge for the new guy's development.

Also if they are planning on going with a rookie QB then Trey Hopkins should be the number 1 priority this offseason.

The question isn’t his talent or that he’s experienced. The question is, can he still get enough separation with the age and injury factors? Other question are how many games will he be available? Will he still have the dropsies like last year? Is he worth a 3 year deal? How much money is he talking? A bad 3 year contract isn’t worth a little help in transitioning a new QB. I’d take that same money and sign the best free agent Olineman in free agency. That’s a better plan to help a young QB because it helps the running game too which automatically helps the passing game.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:04 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: The question isn’t his talent or that he’s experienced. The question is, can he still get enough separation with the age and injury factors? Other question are how many games will he be available? Will he still have the dropsies like last year? Is he worth a 3 year deal? How much money is he talking? A bad 3 year contract isn’t worth a little help in transitioning a new QB. I’d take that same money and sign the best free agent Olineman in free agency. That’s a better plan to help a young QB because it helps the running game too which automatically helps the passing game.

I get all you're saying injury history needing offensive line etc...but I still believe they are a better team with AJ Green on the roster. If he plays out the final 8 games I will be even less concerned about the injury.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:11 PM)Synric Wrote: I get all you're saying injury history needing offensive line etc...but I still believe they are a better team with AJ Green on the roster. If he plays out the final 8 games I will be even less concerned about the injury.

There’s no doubt that they’re a better team with AJ Green from 3 years ago. If AJ plays the last half of the year and looks good the last 4-5 games then the extension plan makes a little more sense. I just always look at extending a current Bengal the same as if he was a free agent named Bob Smith that has the exact same situation, would I bring in that free agent with the same deal. It just takes the fan emotion out of it. AJ is probably my favorite personality on the team. I’d love to see him pull a Whitworth for the next 3 years for the Bengals. I just believe that the odds are better that he won’t. I’d love being wrong about this because AJ seems like an awesome guy that all fans should pull for.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:00 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't see the Bengals offering him 4-5 years. Who knows though?

IF he's looking for 2-3...I think they'll do that.

With the deals they gave Geno and Gio, anything is possible.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:21 PM)pally Wrote: So he still wants a new contract but doesn't want to be franchised.  

This situation with AJ Green is going to blow-up in the face of the FO.  Green will want similar money to Julio Jones and the FO will not play Green that kind of money for his level of production even though his production has been hindered by injury.  

Bengals should have traded Green, especially now that Dalton will be gone in all likelihood next year.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
We don't deserve this man.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I get the feeling AJ just wants to fade away as a Bengal. Like he said, he has all the money he needs. Hes done.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:47 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote:  But like I mentioned weeks ago (toot), no NFL player grows up saying "I want to have zero playoff wins!".

What is the (toot) for?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 04:35 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Green will want similar money to Julio Jones and the FO will not play Green that kind of money

What team will pay him that kind of money?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What team will pay him that kind of money?

Maybe the Patriots.  Maybe. 

My point is that a player's value is determined by peers' performance but also rather subjective by the player and his agent.  He will want north of 15 mil per year, probably closer to 16.5 mil for 5 years.  He wants to end his career as a Bengal.  I just have a bad feeling about this.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:24 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Maybe the Patriots.  Maybe. 

My point is that a player's value is determined by peers' performance but also rather subjective by the player and his agent.  He will want north of 15 mil per year, probably closer to 16.5 mil for 5 years.  He wants to end his career as a Bengal.  I just have a bad feeling about this.  

With Greens age and history of injury the number of years and average salary don't matter that much.

It is all about how much he can get guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: With Greens age and history of injury the number of years and average salary don't matter that much.

It is all about how much he can get guaranteed.

True.  But also, it is the appearance that the player is valued.  Sometimes, the number of years and mil per year matters.  But he will want front-loaded contract of guaranteed money which IMO would be a mistake.  I love the player but I am being a realist.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:57 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: If he walks away now, given that we had no shortage of suitors willing to pay a high price to acquire him, that may be it for me. There's just no reason to tolerate that type of ineptitude, laziness, stubbornness or give-a-damn. None.

How do you know there was " no shortage of suiters"? A thirty year old WR who hasn't played one down in almost a year and isn't under contract after this year would have red flags all over it for any GM. He was supposed to miss 6-8 weeks and now its been 12. You , like many other Bengals fans, like to overvalue our players on the open market.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 03:53 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that he’s a class act. I’m just pointing out that this is a wrong move that fans will initially get behind and will contribute to Mike’s losing plan. Many got behind the new Inexperienced Coach that he hired too. Many back his plans as they happen and then give him hell when the plan turns out crappy. The thing is that many of those plans have obvious warning signs... just like this one with AJ.

Dalton is gone after this year so give him Andy's money and guarantee him like 25 million. He would retire a Bengal and not have to prove himself somewhere else. If that won't satisfy him then sianara AJ.
Reply/Quote
He had AD and Marvin his whole career. New QB, coach, injuries, 0-8 team. He just might want to restart, even in a reduced role, for a winner.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:45 PM)Destro Wrote: He had AD and Marvin his whole career. New QB, coach, injuries, 0-8 team. He just might want to restart, even in a reduced role, for a winner.

AD and Marvin are gone so he may just want to stay.
Reply/Quote