Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ GREEN READY TO ROLL
(04-10-2020, 10:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We still spent over 130 million dollars on FA’s. Tagging AJ didn’t stop us from improving the team. Maybe we completely overpay a LB if we hadn’t tagged AJ, but if AJ stays healthy (big if I know) he’ll have a much bigger impact than a Littleton or Schobert would have.

Everything you’re saying is true and I do get why most on here wanted AJ back this year, regardless of price. I can see that point. I can’t for life of me bring myself to see why many on here want an extension now and not wanting to see him play at least half a season first.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:37 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Everything you’re saying is true and I do get why most on here wanted AJ back this year, regardless of price. I can see that point. I can’t for life of me bring myself to see why many on here want an extension now and not wanting to see him play at least half a season first.

The team is playing it smart. For as much as they’re accused of overpaying their own guys, and being too sentimental, they stood their ground and didn’t give AJ a multi year deal. I’m all for letting him play this season on the tag, and if he stays healthy, and plays well, then offer him a nice 2-3 year deal. He can finish his career in Cincinnati, and be here during our window of having Burrow on a rookie contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 05:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: AJ is fully healthy.. great sign for Bengals and Burrow..Other article is the importance of AJ  can have for 1st year learning curve QB in Burrow

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/zac-taylor-says-a-j-green-is-finally-healthy-after-missing-2019-season-everything-has-been-positive/

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2020/4/8/21166123/bengals-aj-green-franchise-tag-joe-burrow-2020-nfl-free-agency

He was fully healthy most of last year but that did not help us any did it.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 06:31 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Hopefully if they extend him, it’s after a show me period and not a tell me period. I still think that they should have made a clean break from Andy and AJ but who knows.

This ^^^^^^^ And i still have hopes they are both gone in trades during the draft or shortly after.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: This ^^^^^^^ And i still have hopes they are both gone in trades during the draft or shortly after.

You may think you want AJ gone but you'll be glad he's here.  It's stunning to me how some people want him the hell outa here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 10:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The team is playing it smart. For as much as they’re accused of overpaying their own guys, and being too sentimental, they stood their ground and didn’t give AJ a multi year deal. I’m all for letting him play this season on the tag, and if he stays healthy, and plays well, then offer him a nice 2-3 year deal. He can finish his career in Cincinnati, and be here during our window of having Burrow on a rookie contract.

I’m totally for if he has a good year to even overpay him a bit for 2-3 more years to let him retire as a Bengal. I just believe that there’s at least a 50% chance that he will miss at least half of the year. I hope I’m wrong
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2020, 11:34 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: This ^^^^^^^ And i still have hopes they are both gone in trades during the draft or shortly after.

I don’t think Andy will be around but I’m betting that they will roll with AJ now.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: You may think you want AJ gone but you'll be glad he's here.  It's stunning to me how some people want him the hell outa here.

Yeah, I don’t get it either. The last time we actually beat a good team it was largely because of AJ. He had 3 TD to beat the Ravens in primetime in 2018. I remember going to the Baltimore message board that night and they were all going off about AJ. That’s what he does when he’s on the field. Frustrates CB’s, frustrates DC’s, and really frustrates opposing fans.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 08:08 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: [Image: how-to-roll-a-joint.jpg]

Hmm, one of those "needle" joints that the Indiana kids used to hawk..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I hope he truly is. I'd still have my eye on receivers at 33. If there's not a guy they want there, then don't force it, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a WR is someone falls. Even if he's ready to go, he's only got 3 or 4 years of near-peak play left best case scenario. Those will be 3-4 very expensive years, too. They need to find the future at the position to team with the rookie quarterback and hedge against the possible (likely) missed games that we've come to expect from Ross and Green.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I don’t get it either. The last time we actually beat a good team it was largely because of AJ. He had 3 TD to beat the Ravens in primetime in 2018. I remember going to the Baltimore message board that night and they were all going off about AJ. That’s what he does when he’s on the field. Frustrates CB’s, frustrates DC’s, and really frustrates opposing fans.

Nobody wants AJ from his prime gone. The thing is AJ in his prime is probably gone whether he’s on the team or not. Some of us on here will have to eat some crow about AJ at season’s end. I hope that I’m the one that was way off base. I’m a value guy and I like paying for future projections vs past performance. His future isn’t going to be better than his past. It probably won’t equal his past and it possibly will be way worse. The money is for a performance that at least equals his best ever season. He’s definitely gifted enough that if he can stay healthy to beat the odds. I’m more conservative but it’s easy to take a chance if it’s not your money. I do hope that he stays healthy and has a great season. He’s the kinda guy that’s easy to root for.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 12:51 AM)samhain Wrote: I hope he truly is.  I'd still have my eye on receivers at 33.  If there's not a guy they want there, then don't force it, but I wouldn't hesitate for a second to take a WR is someone falls.  Even if he's ready to go, he's only got 3 or 4 years of near-peak play left best case scenario.  Those will be 3-4 very expensive years, too.  They need to find the future at the position to team with the rookie quarterback and hedge against the possible (likely) missed games that we've come to expect from Ross and Green.

I am all for drafting a WR early, even at 33 if one fits there.  There may be a lot of them but the best ones will still go first.  Would be great to come out of the draft with a guy with WR1 potential.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 12:20 AM)McC Wrote: You may think you want AJ gone but you'll be glad he's here.  It's stunning to me how some people want him the hell outa here.

It stuns you that we do not all think exactly alike on this forum? lmao Well if you do not understand why people want him gone by this point you never will so i will not bore you with the details. It is my opinion and my standards that i hold people too and i believe we would be better off without him and with a 2nd round WR draft pick that Burrows can grow with. Burrow does want AJ here but i am pretty sure he will have a different opinion next year after playing with him this year.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 01:44 AM)McC Wrote: I am all for drafting a WR early, even at 33 if one fits there.  There may be a lot of them but the best ones will still go first.  Would be great to come out of the draft with a guy with WR1 potential.

I think were in a really good spot with Boyd, Ross, and Tate, but none of those guys stick out to me as a guy who can take the reigns from AJ as that WR you have to game plan around. I'm all for taking a WR at 33, as long as he leaps and bounds better than any OL or LB that's available. Like no brainer this guy can be our next AJ, if we had to start him in 2021. If there isn't that guy there then id say move on get your LB or OL and grab a WR at 65 who might take a year or two to develop. 
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 05:30 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: It stuns you that we do not all think exactly alike on this forum? lmao Well if you do not understand why people want him gone by this point you never will so i will not bore you with the details. It is my opinion and my standards that i hold people too and i believe we would be better off without him and with a 2nd round WR draft pick that Burrows can grow with. Burrow does want AJ here but i am pretty sure he will have a different opinion next year after playing with him this year.
No.  It stuns me how dumb people can be.

Do you hold yourself to these "standards?"  You're funny.  Wrong as hell.  But funny.

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2020, 06:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Ready to roll...his ankle Ninja

As much as people whine about the national press taking shots at the Bengals, I don't really see much difference here....
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 12:29 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, I don’t get it either. The last time we actually beat a good team it was largely because of AJ. He had 3 TD to beat the Ravens in primetime in 2018. I remember going to the Baltimore message board that night and they were all going off about AJ. That’s what he does when he’s on the field. Frustrates CB’s, frustrates DC’s, and really frustrates opposing fans.

That was 576 days ago.

AJ Green has played exactly 17 snaps of NFL football in the last 530 days. (If you figure the NFL season doesn't start until Sept, it will be more like 670+ days. WRs with injury problems don't get more durable when they turn 32.

I'm all for if Green was back in his prime and didn't have an extensive history of injury (he has missed 23 of his last 32 and 29 of his last 64 games). I just worry that him being around will be the reason they don't put real resources into a WR for the future in this draft, and then AJ (and Ross) will get hurt again and the WR group will be Boyd/Tate/Erickson. You can't have 2 of your top 3 WRs be made of glass and be comfortable.

All that said, it would be great if somehow AJ does stay healthy and does well. I'm just not expecting it.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 11:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That was 576 days ago.

AJ Green has played exactly 17 snaps of NFL football in the last 530 days. (If you figure the NFL season doesn't start until Sept, it will be more like 670+ days. WRs with injury problems don't get more durable when they turn 32.

I'm all for if Green was back in his prime and didn't have an extensive history of injury (he has missed 23 of his last 32 and 29 of his last 64 games). I just worry that him being around will be the reason they don't put real resources into a WR for the future in this draft, and then AJ (and Ross) will get hurt again and the WR group will be Boyd/Tate/Erickson. You can't have 2 of your top 3 WRs be made of glass and be comfortable.

All that said, it would be great if somehow AJ does stay healthy and does well. I'm just not expecting it.

One difference we can consider is the Dalton factor. AD used to put him in some dangerous situations. But your right, the injury history is too alarming to ignore.

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 11:30 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: One difference we can consider is the Dalton factor. AD used to put him in some dangerous situations. But your right, the injury history is too alarming to ignore.

All WRs are going to take some hits sometimes, and all WRs who have to play the Steelers 2x a year are going to take some cheapshots. That's just how it is.

Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Antonio Brown, etc, all got put in some dangerous situations by their QB. I'm not sure Dalton did it any more to AJ than any other QB did to their #1 WR. I do know we've had some bad offensive schemes at times. (Poor Gio)

Just hope AJ really is 100% and will be able to stay that way. Without him, this pass catching group as it stands right now is sub par.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2020, 02:28 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  
All WRs are going to take some hits sometimes, and all WRs who have to play the Steelers 2x a year are going to take some cheapshots. That's just how it is.

Calvin Johnson, Wes Welker, Antonio Brown, etc, all got put in some dangerous situations by their QB. I'm not sure Dalton did it any more to AJ than any other QB did to their #1 WR. I do know we've had some bad offensive schemes at times. (Poor Gio)

Just hope AJ really is 100% and will be able to stay that way. Without him, this pass catching group as it stands right now is sub par.
Exactlly.  That's why they absolutely had to keep him and that's also why being able to draft a WR who will be able to contribute immediately and maybe even be the next in line behind AJ would  ease a lot of anxiety in that department.

And very good point about the cheap shot artists.

Reply/Quote