Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green
Talent wise he is underrated. He made Dalton better than he is. He made Mccarron seem like a starting caliber QB. Now he finally has an elite QB throwing him the football. He may make all pro this season barring injury.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Talent wise he is underrated. He made Dalton better than he is. He made Mccarron seem like a starting caliber QB. Now he finally has an elite QB throwing him the football. He may make all pro this season barring injury.

I think he could have a monster year if he stays healthy with Burrow throwing to him no doubt.

Burrow can actually throw WR's open, something Dalton could not. I also see Boyd having a big year the way Burrow 
concentrates a lot of his throws to the Slot Receiver. Same with Mixon in the passing game much more. Excited to say 
the least.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think he could have a monster year if he stays healthy with Burrow throwing to him no doubt.

Burrow can actually throw WR's open, something Dalton could not. I also see Boyd having a big year the way Burrow 
concentrates a lot of his throws to the Slot Receiver. Same with Mixon in the passing game much more. Excited to say 
the least.

Idk if I’d say Dalton couldn’t. He just didn’t do it as consistently later in his career.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:13 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Idk if I’d say Dalton couldn’t. He just didn’t do it as consistently later in his career.

I was a Dalton supporter but the ability to throw WR's open is a rare quality in a QB that I believe Dalton doesn't have.

He was good when you gave him a clean pocket and his WR's were able to get open, but if not, he was inaccurate and he 
would panic when the pocket broke down. Burrow can see where his WR's are going to be and throws to that spot with great
timing and accuracy throwing his WR open before he even gets there. He trusts in his Receivers to be there and if they are 
not they are going to get a talking to.

AJ should love working with this guy.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I was a Dalton supporter but the ability to throw WR's open is a rare quality in a QB that I believe Dalton doesn't have.

He was good when you gave him a clean pocket and his WR's were able to get open, but if not, he was inaccurate and he 
would panic when the pocket broke down. Burrow can see where his WR's are going to be and throws to that spot with great
timing and accuracy throwing his WR open before he even gets there. He trusts in his Receivers to be there and if they are 
not they are going to get a talking to.

No doubt, Burrow has shown to have this skill at a great level. However, I’ve still seen Andy throw guys open, especially Eifert, over the years.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 04:34 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: No doubt, Burrow has shown to have this skill at a great level. However, I’ve still seen Andy throw guys open, especially Eifert, over the years.

Oh, it has happened it just wasn't a consistent thing with Dalton like it was last year with Burrow.

Burrow consistently did this all season.
Reply/Quote
A 7x Pro Bowler can’t be underrated.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I mean, he was #4 overall pick, and was drafted ahead of Julio Jones. He was named to a Pro Bowl every single year, up until 2018 when he missed half the season. He's been named to numerous Top 100 lists.

I don't think his talent has ever been questioned. I'm not sure it could be viewed as any higher. The only thing now in question is his injury history and age.

The fact he's currently the 2nd highest paid receiver in the league, despite the fact he's missed the last 25 games, should tell you he's not underrated in terms of talent. If anything, that perception of his talent is now gifting him a contract he may not actually be worth.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: A 7x Pro Bowler can’t be underrated.

Shhh... I like it that everyone is saying he's got a huge chip on his shoulder. Fair or not, he's salty he isn't being discussed in that top tier of WRs anymore.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 02:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Talent wise he is underrated. He made Dalton better than he is. He made Mccarron seem like a starting caliber QB. Now he finally has an elite QB throwing him the football. He may make all pro this season barring injury.

Green had a pretty good supporting cast when he had Sanu and Marvin Jones as WRs and Eifert as TE, but he will have even better talent around him this season if all stay healthy and it goes as planned.  
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 09:49 PM)jason Wrote: Shhh... I like it that everyone is saying he's got a huge chip on his shoulder. Fair or not, he's salty he isn't being discussed in that top tier of WRs anymore.

Exactly, he isn't being discussed as much as he should be around the league, but that is because of injuries mainly.

AJ has been made of glass the last few years, harsh but true.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2020, 03:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:  He trusts in his Receivers to be there and if they are not they are going to get a talking to.

Yeah, I am sure Green will love getting his ass chewed by some rookie QB who thinks he knows more than veteran NFL players.

I love Joe, but this claim that he is just going to walk in and take over the team from the coaches because none of the coaches ever mention to a player when they mess up is ridiculous.  Joe looks like a damn good QB but the Bengal vets are not just a bunch of kids who failed because their QB never yelled at them.

Ask Baker Mayfiled how many games "swagger" will win you in the NFL.  Ask Ryan Leaf how much it helps a team to squeal at the receivers.  Joe Burrow will be a great NFL QB if he plays great and can keep cool in high pressure situations.  Bitching at his teammates won't help him any.  That is the coaches job.
Reply/Quote
I expect a diminished AJ Green this season. Older WR’s don’t age gracefully against young elite DB’s. Prove me wrong AJ.
Burrows has to elevate Mixon’s and Boyd’s role, a spread the ball around approach.
Burrows has to be able to take who’s on the field and make it work because WuFlu will be drastically changing rosters week to week, including his Oline. My accomplishments for the Bengals this season include Burrows avoiding PTSD from too many hits.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 10:01 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: I expect a diminished AJ Green this season. Older WR’s don’t age gracefully against young elite DB’s. Prove me wrong AJ.
Burrows has to elevate Mixon’s and Boyd’s role, a spread the ball around approach.
Burrows has to be able to take who’s on the field and make it work because WuFlu will be drastically changing rosters week to week, including his Oline. My accomplishments for the Bengals this season include Burrows avoiding PTSD from too many hits.

Are people really still getting his name wrong?

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 09:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Ask Baker Mayfiled how many games "swagger" will win you in the NFL.  Ask Ryan Leaf how much it helps a team to squeal at the receivers.  Joe Burrow will be a great NFL QB if he plays great and can keep cool in high pressure situations.  Bitching at his teammates won't help him any.  That is the coaches job.

Ask Tom Brady? Ask Phillip Rivers? Ask Aaron Rodgers? Holding teammates accountable is often noted when talking about these guys and the culture it helps create. You can argue that because they are good they get to do these things, but there are stories of these guys doing these things long before they were the elite players they are today. This isn't to say it's a magic bullet that makes you good, and it's not saying you can't be successful without doing it, but it is something that comes up often with some of the best. There is a certain amount of command you have to have to play QB and the key is riding the line of being demanding and holding other accountable, but also not being an ass. In Mayfield's case, and Leaf as well honestly, they wouldn't hold themselves accountable which NFL players see straight through.
Reply/Quote
I think it will be a pleasant change to go from Andy (who I really liked) and his "awe geeze shucks, you ran the wrong route" nice guy, to the Joe Burrow Death Stare. I don't really expect AJ to be on the end of one, because he rarely if ever runs the wrong route.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 09:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I am sure Green will love getting his ass chewed by some rookie QB who thinks he knows more than veteran NFL players.

I love Joe, but this claim that he is just going to walk in and take over the team from the coaches because none of the coaches ever mention to a player when they mess up is ridiculous.  Joe looks like a damn good QB but the Bengal vets are not just a bunch of kids who failed because their QB never yelled at them.

Ask Baker Mayfiled how many games "swagger" will win you in the NFL.  Ask Ryan Leaf how much it helps a team to squeal at the receivers.  Joe Burrow will be a great NFL QB if he plays great and can keep cool in high pressure situations.  Bitching at his teammates won't help him any.  That is the coaches job.

I think you're being too narrow in your definition of "Holding others accountable". Its more about a culture of respect and honesty. If someone respects you they will listen to what you have to say. The subtext of a lot of this talk is that Burrow has already earned his teammates respect better than your average rookie. It is a leadership quality. He holds himself to a high standard and with that he can justifiably hold others to a high standard too. 

Its not all about scolding someone else when they mess up. That is an oversimplified description.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 09:29 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, I am sure Green will love getting his ass chewed by some rookie QB who thinks he knows more than veteran NFL players.

I hear ya, a rookie screaming and throwing a fit set off "Ryan Leaf" alarms in my mind, too.  I understand why people are into this mindset though, we are disappointed with the Dalton era so now we need to find something to declare as "the problem" that will be solved by the new guy.  Dalton was nice...maybe being nice was the problem...well, Burrow won't be nice then and that'll fix things!

Going into 2019 we were citing this team's calm and quiet confidence as a reason we could succeed while the loud and braggadocios Browns would fall apart like the paper champs they were.  Well 2019 was a bust, so now we are hopeful that our own form of swagger will be just what it takes to get stuff done.  Here is hoping.

(08-18-2020, 11:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I think it will be a pleasant change to go from Andy (who I really liked) and his "awe geeze shucks, you ran the wrong route" nice guy, to the Joe Burrow Death Stare. I don't really expect AJ to be on the end of one, because he rarely if ever runs the wrong route.

I'll admit I'm intrigued to see how Burrow reacts the first time Ross does something boneheaded, but I'm not so sure we're just going to see as many death states as we hope.  Rather, Burrow is more likely to react in a reasonable manner and we will declare that to be a sign of his maturity and control over his emotions.  Plus, we might not have enough WR depth for Burrow to get into a blood feud with too many of them.
Reply/Quote
well AJ tweaked something yesterday...hopefully not the beginning of another injury riddled yr for him where he misses half the season for this and that. I wish Tee didnt get hurt, was looking forward to the early prognosis on him to be the AJ "Next Gen "
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2020, 11:19 AM)Au165 Wrote: Ask Tom Brady? Ask Phillip Rivers? Ask Aaron Rodgers? Holding teammates accountable is often noted when talking about these guys and the culture it helps create. You can argue that because they are good they get to do these things, but there are stories of these guys doing these things long before they were the elite players they are today.

All long established veterans.  Whatever things you speak of, I doubt they were doing them year 1 in the league. 

A rookie QB, just like every other rookie, needs to earn his respect.  That's his job right now.  Lead my example.  Inspire confidence through action.  Then, and only then, can really start to hold the veterans accountable and take them to task, so to speak.

I'm sorry, the idea that Joe Burrow can step in and immediately take over a lockerroom better than a veteran Andy Dalton is absolutely absurd.  I like Joe Burrow and am as pumped to see him as the next guy.  But some of these takes on here get to be a bit much.
Reply/Quote