Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green calls out offensive line
Can green and Andy hold a press conference and say please replace Bodine atleast? Atleast put Johnson there
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andy Dalton impressed me yesterday. He took so many hits and just got up and ran the next play.

He has a lot of moxie that is for sure. 

Got to respect that in my book. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:48 PM)ah5 Wrote: Thats what he gets paid to do.  Thats not impressive.  Nothing about him is impressive this year, except throwing the ball out of bounds on 4th down, his stupidity impressed the hell outta me. 

On THIS, you are WRONG.  They do NOT pay quarterbacks to take career ending hits all game, every game.  Football 101 from Pee Wee to High School to NFL is PROTECT THE QUARTERBACK.   In the movie The Longest Yard, Burt Reynolds says it as the quarterback telling them in practice to Protect The Super Star.   It is Basic Football 101.    So teams DO NOT pay quarterbacks huge money so they can get clobbered on every play.   Instead teams pay Blockers to keep their big money Superstar from getting clobbered every play.    Well most teams pay Blockers. I know Mike Brown doesn't.  Most owners are smart enough to pay Blockers to protect the money invested in their quarterback and also to get the ball to these high paid receivers. 

So getting beat into the turf on every play IS NOT what Dalton is paid to do.  If on this team it is, no wonder 27 years under Mike Brown as owner and no play-off win.  That said, this is not the worst Mike Brown O Line. Poor Klingler got hit the second the ball was snapped and top pick RB Carter got destroyed due to no blocking. # 1 pick got hit by 3 Lions still taking the hand-off in the backfield. # 1 pick destroyed at beginning of preseason with blocking so bad 3 Lions in backfield before RB could get the hand-off. That was an AWFUL Mike Brown O Line. So was the Mike Brown O Line that got Carson Palmer injured and had replacement Fitzgerald running for his life as soon as ball snapped rest of season. That was another AWFUL Mike Brown O Line. That cheap move of putting a weight lifter at right guard with no football experience was a disaster by Mike Brown. Of course this is another AWFUL Mike Brown O Line and not far behind the O Line that got Klingler and Carter killed in BUNGLES years. .....Some owners do believe in paying blockers to protect the quarterback. Often these teams are called play off game winners. It is called the LOMBARDI TROPHY. Did Lombardi focus on BLOCKING. You better believe he did. The Lombardi Power Sweep and their being the best team in the NFL every year as he drilled blocking, blocking and more blocking into them. Luckily Forrest Gregg of Lombardi came to Bengals and with Paul Brown created Bengals 1980's O Line of 2 Super Bowl Trips. Gregg brought Lombardi to Bengals. You have to have blocking if you want play-off wins and Super Bowl Trips. Of course Gregg left, Paul Brown died and Mike Brown got rid of Max Montoya and said to press, " Why should I pay a guard ? "....Something Mike Brown says to this day. It is called The Lombardi Trophy, which is right because to win it, you must have blocking. Every winner of the Lombardi Trophy has excelled in Blocking. The 60's Packers. The Jets O Line blocking a tough Colts D. The Chiefs blocking a tough Vikings D. The 70's Dolphins. The 70's Steelers. The 80's Raiders. The 80's 49ers. The 90's Cowboys....we can go on and on. and it is fitting the Lombardi Trophy takes great blocking to win it. The 1980's Bengals had blocking but it was no fluke. Lombardi Gregg and Paul Brown put a lot of money and draft picks and free agents into that 1980's O Line of 2 Super Bowl Trips, unlike Mike Brown who took over later. Even with Munoz and Montoya they added Lapham, Blados, Rimington, Walters who was Pro Bowl RT and Munoz Pro Bowl LT, Reimers, Kozerski. There was a real effort to build a Super Bowl O Line, not this cheap direction Mike Brown goes in.

So the QB is not STUPID if he doesn't make the play on 4th down with no blocking. Who is your favorite QB ever ? I tell you now that your favorite QB ever with no blocking on 4th down can not make the play. He gets sacked, he throws out of bounds or an interception. With no blocking your favorite QB ever looks stupid, but the QB is not stupid, there just simply is NO BLOCKING.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I have 3 issues with this:

1 - Why not call out the #1 problem (Marvin)?

2 - Why wait until after the game? Get in the face of these bums.

3 - Why is our WR the one calling out bad blocking?
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 11:08 PM)ah5 Wrote: Drinking...... at least this season.

Hilarious   I would be too, if I weren't currently serving under General Order #1...
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 04:56 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: I have 3 issues with this:

Probably won’t call out Marvin because players rarely call out coaches and the owner has a god damn love affair with Marvin
Reply/Quote

Calling out the OL is calling out PA and Marvin imo. However, getting in players faces during a game would not be advised. Players who do these kind of things are usually labeled as childish and a distraction to the team. Although I do see that type of approach like bait to the rabid sport media as they would bring it fourth in discussions and try to point fingers. But I think AJs approach is the higher road. May not be effective though except maybe a different approach in the next season.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 07:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Andy was hit on a whopping 35% of his dropbacks, yet still had QB rating of 108. It amazes me how anyone can blame AD for the struggling offense? Just for you know in case you have never played QB, when you are hit that often the plays when line holds up don't matter because you are getting rid of the ball expecting to be hit even of noone is around you.

It's because he's a ginger....

Seriously, folks think that because he has one talented WR and a potentially talented RB that he should be putting up numbers like the top 3 QBs in the league.  Oh, and Dalton has a coaching staff that couldn't walk on at Ohio State.

Yeah, he sucks.  He's "limited" is one of my personal favorites.  That also means Brady is limited as I remember only a couple games where Brady had pressure in his face like Dalton and he sucked, too.  Guess that means he is limited.  

Actually, this post brings up a good point:  Doesn't Andy have the clout after seven years to go to his offensive coach and say:  "I think our rushing attack would improve if we got our speedsters on the field and took some downfield shots with them instead of always asking AJ to catch a ball in the middle of three defenders".  Maybe AJ will inspire him?   Ninja
Reply/Quote
This is a deju vu from last year.. :

The Cincinnati Bengals are a disappointing 3-5-1 after a loss at the hands of the New York Giants on Monday, which also saw their starting quarterback take as many hits as he has all season long.
Andy Dalton gets a lot of blame from Bengals fans for the struggles of the team, but wide receiver A.J. Green knows that it falls squarely on the shoulders of the guys up front on the offensive line.
“We got to be able to protect Andy,” Green said, via Cincinnati.com. “We can’t let him get beat up like that. Can’t have your franchise guy, your quarterback, take those hits today. We just can’t have it. We didn’t have that last year and I don’t know what’s the problem this year.”
The sacks and the pressure that the team has allowed has put the Bengals in a very tough position often times on third downs, where Green says it makes the entire offense's job as a whole that much harder.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 10:15 AM)bengals73 Wrote: This is a deju vu from last year.. :

The Cincinnati Bengals are a disappointing 3-5-1 after a loss at the hands of the New York Giants on Monday, which also saw their starting quarterback take as many hits as he has all season long.
Andy Dalton gets a lot of blame from Bengals fans for the struggles of the team, but wide receiver A.J. Green knows that it falls squarely on the shoulders of the guys up front on the offensive line.
“We got to be able to protect Andy,” Green said, via Cincinnati.com. “We can’t let him get beat up like that. Can’t have your franchise guy, your quarterback, take those hits today. We just can’t have it. We didn’t have that last year and I don’t know what’s the problem this year.”
The sacks and the pressure that the team has allowed has put the Bengals in a very tough position often times on third downs, where Green says it makes the entire offense's job as a whole that much harder.

Hmm... And once again one can't help but wonder if our clueless FO will do a God d*** thing about it  Whatever
Reply/Quote

1 - because the OL can't bench AJ

2 - who says he wasn't? They rarely show what happens on the sidelines unless it's noticeable and Green is soft spoken so maybe he did get in their face, but just not in an antagonistic way that would be visible to the TV guys.

3 - because Mike and Merv seem to be content with the OL and Dalton can't because if the OL doesn't like what he has to say, they could actually make things worse for him.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 12:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: 1 - because the OL can't bench AJ

2 - who says he wasn't? They rarely show what happens on the sidelines unless it's noticeable and Green is soft spoken so maybe he did get in their face, but just not in an antagonistic way that would be visible to the TV guys.

3 - because Mike and Merv seem to be content with the OL and Dalton can't because if the OL doesn't like what he has to say, they could actually make things worse for him.

Can they really, though? Exactly how much worse could they make it for him?   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 07:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Andy was hit on a whopping 35% of his dropbacks, yet still had QB rating of 108. It amazes me how anyone can blame AD for the struggling offense? Just for you know in case you have never played QB, when you are hit that often the plays when line holds up don't matter because you are getting rid of the ball expecting to be hit even of noone is around you.

This is exactly why Dalton has struggled even when he has time.  He is shell shocked, and it's really hard to blame him.  As an old guard, I would be EMBARRASSED and feeling like shit for allowing my QB to get rocked like that.  The only time I was ever ejected from a game was for plowing a guy (not my man) that hit our QB late and was on top of him poking him in the chest.  I got my money's worth.....a blindside earhole shot from about 7 yards out. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 10:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Andy Dalton impressed me yesterday. He took so many hits and just got up and ran the next play.

They had to help him to his feet by the end of the game.  Like him or hate him, you gotta admit he's a fighter.  I'd gladly block for a guy like that, and have.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 12:09 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Can they really, though? Exactly how much worse could they make it for him?   Ninja

See Manziel, Johnny.  He really ruffled some feathers with his teammates.  I hear the same thing happened with Tim Couch.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 02:12 AM)bengalsturntup5532 Wrote: Can green and Andy hold a press conference and say please replace Bodine atleast? Atleast put Johnson there

I'd say it's time to sit the entire interior line, with the exception of Boling. How much worse could Johnson and Westerman do than the starters....
Reply/Quote
I know I have stopped watching ANY NFL game, but I am keeping up with scores and watching highlights. After seeing the Colts highlights, I messaged WW this, and basically, the bottom line for me is this;

The ONLY hope this franchise has, is if MB replaces Lewis with a HC that MB will allow to clean house, bring in his own people to replace the inept coaches, keeping the the successful ones, and coach the team like he wants to.

The Negative Nancy in me says, that chance is slim to none!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2017, 07:25 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He was hit on 35% of his dropbacks? Wow.

I do know it looked like he was pressured on 90% of his throws.

This effects his timing too...    You can only do the Stand in the pocket knowning your gonna take a hit    a few times a game.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 12:56 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: I know I have stopped watching ANY NFL game, but I am keeping up with scores and watching highlights.  After seeing the Colts highlights, I messaged WW this, and basically, the bottom line for me is this;

The ONLY hope this franchise has, is if MB replaces Lewis with a HC that MB will allow to clean house, bring in his own people to replace the inept coaches, keeping the the successful ones, and coach the team like he wants to.

The Negative Nancy in me says, that chance is slim to none!

.....and ol' Slim most likely just left town.....

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2017, 05:27 AM)JB Bengal Wrote: Hilarious   I would be too, if I weren't currently serving under General Order #1...

I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

Well lets hope you're properly relieved.  :andy:
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote