Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green is franchised
(03-16-2020, 03:56 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Jefferson, just like Ross, isn’t of much use if the QB doesn’t have time to throw. And Mixon can’t run the ball effectively if he is forced to make his first cut in the backfield due to poor blocking.

You're correct. But, i just laid out why/how they'll be better next year at protection.

Jonah--LT--You have to play the cards out with him. (He's a 1st Round selection for a reason)
Hart---RT---25 years old and gave up 6 sacks last year. (Could be our starter or bring in competition along with Fred Johnson)
Hopkins--Center---Good numbers on PFF, bonafide starter
John Miller--RG---Decent starter but could use an upgrade. (Need a FA or Draft pick)
Jordan or others---LG---(Need a FA or Draft pick)

We can debate the line all day, but the Bengals still have to pick the BPA at #33 regardless of position or offense/Defense. And, Jefferson or another WR will be BPA based on grade than Ruiz or any OG sitting there at #33. Like I said, the days of the Bengals drafting for need should be over. I never said they shouldn't fill the need or upgrade through FA or later on in the draft. Agree?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 03:16 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: LBer is one position they have invested in with free agency. But, overall the results haven’t been that great because of the quality of player they usually target. And that’s based upon money. The last time I looked at the LBer FA class there weren’t many names I’d like to play for the Bengals. And the ones I did like are probably going to receive more than I think they’re probably worth. Seems like this is not a good year to need LBer help.

They are some Olinemen that will probably get top 10 money for their position that I would probably sign. Conklin is one of them.

Kind of.
They've brought in a bunch of guys on cheap 1-to-2 year deals. They've never brought in a stud (at least that I can remember).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 03:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Yeah, somebody would.  The amount teams overpay in free agency is ridiculous

Maybe why the Bengals slapped him with the tag, they must think AJ is worth the money. I think it's too much, but if AJ hit free agency Wednesday maybe someone offers more? I think Green is a gamble at this point in his career, but someone like Washington, Dallas, etc may not. I hope it will workout for us this fall and AJ has a monster season and he's worth the money and/or a new contract.
Reply/Quote
Overspend on our own broken down players. This is the way.

Sent from my LG-Q710PL using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
AJ is still a free agent. His agent is still free to look for offers from clubs. If he were to get an offer from another club, the Bengals have 5 days to match any offer. If they decide not to match the offering team, that team has to give the Bengals two 1st draft picks .
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:06 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You're correct. But, i just laid out why/how they'll be better next year at protection.

Jonah--LT--You have to play the cards out with him. (He's a 1st Round selection for a reason)
Hart---RT---25 years old and gave up 6 sacks last year. (Could be our starter or bring in competition along with Fred Johnson)
Hopkins--Center---Good numbers on PFF, bonafide starter
John Miller--RG---Decent starter but could use an upgrade. (Need a FA or Draft pick)
Jordan or others---LG---(Need a FA or Draft pick)

We can debate the line all day, but the Bengals still have to pick the BPA at #33 regardless of position or offense/Defense. And, Jefferson or another WR will be BPA based on grade than Ruiz or any OG sitting there at #33. Like I said, the days of the Bengals drafting for need should be over. I never said they shouldn't fill the need or upgrade through FA or later on in the draft. Agree?

What if the BPA on their board at 33 is a QB? Should they go QB back to back in rounds 1 and 2 because they have to pick BPA regardless of position?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: AJ is still a free agent. His agent is still free to look for offers from clubs. If he were to get an offer from another club, the Bengals have 5 days to match any offer. If they decide not to match the offering team, that team has to give the Bengals two 1st draft picks .

...I am also capable of winning the lottery at any given time. The odds of someone signing AJ to an offer sheet is about the same.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Kind of.
They've brought in a bunch of guys on cheap 1-to-2 year deals. They've never brought in a stud (at least that I can remember).

That’s my point.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:37 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What if the BPA on their board at 33 is a QB? Should they go QB back to back in rounds 1 and 2 because they have to pick BPA regardless of position?

You're really going to ask me that question in order to get a win on a draft debate? Please use common sense here....
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:57 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You're really going to ask me that question in order to get a win on a draft debate? Please use common sense here....

Okay, since we’re using common sense, how do you know any WR is BPA compared to any offensive lineman when we don’t know who is left at 33?
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Okay, since we’re using common sense, how do you know any WR is BPA compared to any offensive lineman when we don’t know who is left at 33?

Let's just take 1 mock draft by draft guru Daniel Jeremiah. Go ahead and take a look at the Top 50 and get back to me.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:13 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Let's just take 1 mock draft by draft guru Daniel Jeremiah. Go ahead and take a look at the Top 50 and get back to me.

Different teams value the same players differently. Daniel Jeremiah’s opinion has no bearing upon the draft and who the Bengals (or any team) thinks is BPA at 33.

Where was Drew Sample on Jeremiah’s list because I honestly don’t remember, but I doubt he was in the top 50.
Reply/Quote
It's the right decision, but the Bengals better prepare for life without AJ Green next year. Unless they offer him a contract too big to say no to, I think the bridge is effectively burned now.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Different teams value the same players differently. Daniel Jeremiah’s opinion has no bearing upon the draft and who the Bengals (or any team) thinks is BPA at 33.

Where was Drew Sample on Jeremiah’s list because I honestly don’t remember, but I doubt he was in the top 50.

The BPA at around pick 30 wouldn't be much different. I can see the opinions varying from 50 on though.

Instead of going round and round, the OL players available who are ranked in the Top 33 players (Consensus, not just Jeremiah) will all be gone by the time the Bengals select besides possibly LT Josh Jones and C Ruiz at #33.

There are too many other WR's and other Positions ranked in the Top 33 that would fall to the Bengals, for the Bengals to take the OL at that spot.

The only Caveat could be Josh Jones and how they feel about him compared to the other players that could fall to them at #33. (But, the opinions about him and where he's ranked do vary, in accordance with what you said).

All of this also doesn't take into account if the Bengals do decide to trade out of that spot. Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:45 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: The BPA at around pick 30 wouldn't be much different. I can see the opinions varying from 50 on though.

Instead of going round and round, the OL players available who are ranked in the Top 33 players (Consensus, not just Jeremiah) will all be gone by the time the Bengals select besides possibly LT Josh Jones and C Ruiz at #33.

There are too many other WR's and other Positions ranked in the Top 33 that would fall to the Bengals, for the Bengals to take the OL at that spot.

The only Caveat could be Josh Jones and how they feel about him compared to the other players that could fall to them at #33. (But, the opinions about him and where he's ranked do vary, in accordance with what you said).

All of this also doesn't take into account if the Bengals do decide to trade out of that spot. Lol

Last year some thought Jawaan Taylor wouldn’t be available when the Bengals drafted in the first round and he slipped into the second. Neither of us know who will be the BPA at 33 and their will probably be 32 different opinions in the NFL on who that player is.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:52 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Last year some thought Jawaan Taylor wouldn’t be available when the Bengals drafted in the first round and he slipped into the second. Neither of us know who will be the BPA at 33 and their will probably be 32 different opinions in the NFL on who that player is.

But none of them will be an OL unless it's Jones. Can we agree on that at least? :)
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 04:37 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...I am also capable of winning the lottery at any given time. The odds of someone signing AJ to an offer sheet is about the same.

I get that, just pointing out that players with the FT can still move on.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 02:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, OL and LB would be my preference in FA. I would honestly prefer Conklin in FA over anyone else and get a LB.

Simply cause the Draft is not deep at either of these positions. Very deep at WR and interior OL.

Jack Conklin to the Browns 3 years 42 mil.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:57 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: But none of them will be an OL unless it's Jones. Can we agree on that at least? :)

Lol. No, we can’t agree on that because roughly half of the first round evaluations are wrong and that percentage gets worse with every round. BPA is a totally subjective opinion based upon who ask and when.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 05:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: It's the right decision, but the Bengals better prepare for life without AJ Green next year.  Unless they offer him a contract too big to say no to, I think the bridge is effectively burned now.

Tag was the best option this year imo. We will see if he stays healthy, and if he does, then they can offer him a contract.  His injuries are worrisome and he is expensive. 
Reply/Quote