Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green is franchised
(03-16-2020, 02:30 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Good point there, I've been going back and forth with that one myself.
But, I'm more inclined to find a replacement for Ross. The chances are slim that we'll be re-signing him again.
And, the type of WR I hope they get is either a lot of speed (Since Boyd, AJ & Tate) are not burners.
They need speed on this team to create fear in secondaries. When Ross is healthy, he at least does that for them.

I'm hoping that teams value the deep class of WR's and pick different positions at the top of the draft, knowing that they can get a good one all the way into the 4th, 5th rounds this year.

And, a guy like Burrow's buddy, Jefferson, drops to them at #33. That would kill two birds with one stone as you get a burner, and he has a great relationship already with Burrow.

Jefferson is a great talent, but he played so much in the slot it would be like drafting another Tyler Boyd.  I think Ross might still surprise some of us with Burrow's toughness and patience in the pocket.  Like Kurt Warner, who would wait for the WR to make that one last break and then let it rip.  If they don't have Ross in their long term plans, Reagor out of TCU is more of that type WR.  

Either way, I actually hope they slide back a few picks in Rd 2 (there are sure to be some suitors) and get an additional 3rd rounder.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Jefferson is a great talent, but he played so much in the slot it would be like drafting another Tyler Boyd.  I think Ross might still surprise some of us with Burrow's toughness and patience in the pocket.  Like Kurt Warner, who would wait for the WR to make that one last break and then let it rip.  If they don't have Ross in their long term plans, Reagor out of TCU is more of that type WR.  

Either way, I actually hope they slide back a few picks in Rd 2 (there are sure to be some suitors) and get an additional 3rd rounder.  

If the WR drops it, runs the wrong route, quits on the route, or is hurt... it doesn't matter how tough the QB is or how much paitence they have.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Jefferson is a great talent, but he played so much in the slot it would be like drafting another Tyler Boyd.  I think Ross might still surprise some of us with Burrow's toughness and patience in the pocket.  Like Kurt Warner, who would wait for the WR to make that one last break and then let it rip.  If they don't have Ross in their long term plans, Reagor out of TCU is more of that type WR.  

Jefferson just ran a 4.43...

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 02:48 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Remember when David Klingler had his jaw broken and Ki-Jana Carter tore his ACL during the same pre-season game because the offensive line sucked?

If they are going to protect their investment in Joe Burrow I hope they invest in protecting him. They can’t fix everything they need to with just 7 draft picks. If they don’t do better with free agency, I’d rather see them draft offensive linemen this year and try to fix the other stuff next year.

The theory is accurate, but who is it you want with the #33 pick to improve the offensive line?  The only glaring weakness is at LG with Jordan and that was his rookie season, and he was injured.  If you drafted a Guard like Biadisz (sp?), there is no guarantee he would end up taking the LG position from Jordan.   It is even less likely that we find an OT there to push out Hart (and don't forget about Fred Johnson, who will likely be competing with Hart for RT). 

Having weapons that force safeties back and a QB that can make you pay for blitzing will go a long way to protecting Burrow.  The perfect storm was losing the top two LT on the team very early in the season.  Combined with a rookie at LG, and no AJ Green (you could see how teams defended the Bengals when he wasn't there) made the offense pathetic....even after lighting up Seattle in week 1.  

WIth Thuney tagged, I think the price for Sherff just went even higher.  I am unsure if he was put at RG that they could release Miller and get all his contract off the books.  

I completely get what you are saying, but I think a healthy Green, better depth at WR to prepare for injuries, an offensive scheme that doesn't give up on the run so quickly, and Williams starting the season at LT will make this team 100% better than a year ago in terms of protection for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jefferson just ran a 4.43...

He has a long stride and he didn't do the short shuttle for a reason...that is impressive, and he outjumped Boyd as well.  I still think he had a TON of offensive talent around him that got him singled up almost every snap.  He is a great talent, like I said, but I don't see him as a great fit here.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:41 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He has a long stride and he didn't do the short shuttle for a reason...that is impressive, and he outjumped Boyd as well.  I still think he had a TON of offensive talent around him that got him singled up almost every snap.  He is a great talent, like I said, but I don't see him as a great fit here.  

Agree to disagree. I’d love to get him.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:59 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Agree to disagree. I’d love to get him.

I love the idea of a guy that Burrow has such rapport with and comfort.  However, Jefferson didn't look at all like he did when he was asked to play outside at LSU.  I always wondered when Green was down why the Bengals didn't have Boyd move outside.   I guess it just takes a different skill set.  
Reply/Quote
Glad to see Green stay a Bengal. He will be invaluable for JB17. Really needs to prove himself healthy for any kind of longer term deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 10:26 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The theory is accurate, but who is it you want with the #33 pick to improve the offensive line?  The only glaring weakness is at LG with Jordan and that was his rookie season, and he was injured.  If you drafted a Guard like Biadisz (sp?), there is no guarantee he would end up taking the LG position from Jordan.   It is even less likely that we find an OT there to push out Hart (and don't forget about Fred Johnson, who will likely be competing with Hart for RT). 

Having weapons that force safeties back and a QB that can make you pay for blitzing will go a long way to protecting Burrow.  The perfect storm was losing the top two LT on the team very early in the season.  Combined with a rookie at LG, and no AJ Green (you could see how teams defended the Bengals when he wasn't there) made the offense pathetic....even after lighting up Seattle in week 1.  

WIth Thuney tagged, I think the price for Sherff just went even higher.  I am unsure if he was put at RG that they could release Miller and get all his contract off the books.  

I completely get what you are saying, but I think a healthy Green, better depth at WR to prepare for injuries, an offensive scheme that doesn't give up on the run so quickly, and Williams starting the season at LT will make this team 100% better than a year ago in terms of protection for Burrow.

There’s not one Bengals offensive lineman I’d grade higher than a C except Williams who gets an Incomplete. Right now Williams could be the next Whitworth or Ogbuehi. The rest of them are upgradable. Offensive stats: points/game 30th, total points 30th, yards/game 26th, yards/play 28th, 3rd down % 22nd, time of possession 18th. Time of possession is almost middle of the pack which makes the other stats that much worse. When they had the ball they couldn’t do shit with it.

If there isn’t an offensive lineman worthy of being picked at #33, I’d be more inclined to draft a LB or CB than a WR. Hell, I might even pick Swift, Dobbins, or Taylor at #33 so I don’t need to re-sign Mixon to a huge contract next year.
Reply/Quote
Spending 18 mil on declining players will never excite me. If he equals his very good years then it’s obviously earned. Anything less isn’t worth the money. I guess it’s better than signing him to a long term guaranteed contract. I just like signing guy for projected future stats vs. past stats. Also, you should factor in a little of what have you done for me lately. I’m not excited about it at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:50 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Spending 18 mil on declining players will never excite me. If he equals his very good years then it’s obviously earned. Anything less isn’t worth the money. I guess it’s better than signing him to a long term guaranteed contract. I just like signing guy for projected future stats vs. past stats. Also, you should factor in a little of what have you done for me lately. I’m not excited about it at all.

I agree mostly, I have mixed feelings about it. Like you say if we get 2015 AJ it'll be worth it. But over the last four seasons he's averaged like 10 games and 50 receptions. At 32 can he really return to that form given the injury history ? AJ will always be one of my favorite Bengals but I'm just nervous about paying him high end WR pay all things considered, like all our other needs,
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 11:46 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There’s not one Bengals offensive lineman I’d grade higher than a C except Williams who gets an Incomplete. Right now Williams could be the next Whitworth or Ogbuehi. The rest of them are upgradable. Offensive stats: points/game 30th, total points 30th, yards/game 26th, yards/play 28th, 3rd down % 22nd, time of possession 18th. Time of possession is almost middle of the pack which makes the other stats that much worse. When they had the ball they couldn’t do shit with it.

If there isn’t an offensive lineman worthy of being picked at #33, I’d be more inclined to draft a LB or CB than a WR. Hell, I might even pick Swift, Dobbins, or Taylor at #33 so I don’t need to re-sign Mixon to a huge contract next year.

Wasn't Hopkins one of the top ranked Centers in the AFC last year? Other than that, I'd agree.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 02:40 PM)Wyche Wrote: Wasn't Hopkins one of the top ranked Centers in the AFC last year? Other than that, I'd agree.

my gut is to doubt that. Our highest ranked lineman (pff) was Glenn in his four games 68.something if memory serves Hopkins was point or two lower than him our 2nd highest rating. 
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 02:54 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: my gut is to doubt that. Our highest ranked lineman (pff) was Glenn in his four games 68.something if memory serves Hopkins was point or two lower than him our 2nd highest rating. 

Ok....I remember at one point during the season, he was ranked #1 in the AFC. Wasn't sure where he ended up.

Reply/Quote
Just looked it up....he finished with a 62.8. None of our lineman where in the top half of the league. Guess he tapered off to say the least!

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 12:36 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I agree mostly, I have mixed feelings about it. Like you say if we get 2015 AJ it'll be worth it. But over the last four seasons he's averaged like 10 games and 50 receptions. At 32 can he really return to that form given the injury history ? AJ will always be one of my favorite Bengals but I'm just nervous about paying him high end WR pay all things considered, like all our other needs,

He’s one of my favorites too but he’s in decline. Making decisions in life with your head usually works out better than deciding with your heart.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2020, 12:31 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I'm glad AJ will be a Bengal in 2020, but I also hope they wait to see if he can stay healthy before working on a new deal.

The July 15 deadline to negotiate means they won't really know until after the deadline passes so you either have to sign him on faith or go into next year in th same situation.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 03:37 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: He’s one of my favorites too but he’s in decline. Making decisions in life with your head usually works out better than deciding with your heart.

Joe Burrow publicly stated he wants AJ Green. And it’s not out of any sense of sentimentality.

Reply/Quote
The thing about AJ is that none of his injuries were career killers.Mostly they were lingering, minor issues that are hopefully over. 32 isn't totally aged out either They guy still has talent to burn so it's half dozen of one, six of the other. Is he worth 18 million? Nobody is in my estimation, but he's getting what the market will bare and if he has a fabulous season this or next year (if this one's cancelled) he'll get a huge FA deal with somebody.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Joe Burrow publicly stated he wants AJ Green. And it’s not out of any sense of sentimentality.

One thing is certain--AJ is well rested.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote