Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green will miss TNF vs. Dolphins if child is born
(08-25-2016, 08:22 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I never understood people who put so much value in being there at childbirth.

But then again I don't have kids, so there's that.

Oh well. If anyone has enough value and has done enough to do something like this, it's AJ.

I mean, if being present for the birth of a child isn't a big deal then what is exactly?  
Reply/Quote
I've known lots of folks that have missed the birth of their child in order to do their duty, but a game is not a war no matter how many try to draw the correlation. WTS, if AJ wants to miss work, no one can blame him or blame his employer from holding that game check
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:35 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I mean, if being present for the birth of a child isn't a big deal then what is exactly?  

The next 18 years or so.
Reply/Quote
I've been around for my kids birth and a grandchild and even a niece, but after all those in retrospect. I'd rather watch a good bar fight than a baby being born.. All that blood and gore and screaming.. My kids were c-section babies..nothing like seeing your wife's guts all over the table. Nope..I'm done with watching babies being born, but I really don't blame AJ one bit..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Think he should attend birth as well.

But babies are rarely born when expected though.

But it would be just our luck to fall on only day of the week Bengals play.

Still have no problem with decision if falling on game day.

Hope all goes well and his son signs with Bengals in 2037.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 11:56 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The next 18 years or so.

I thought we were speaking relative to other life events.  I mean comparing a single event, even one that is worthy of missing work for, to near two decades of experiences is similar to someone griping that the cable is too expensive and you reminding them that a 4 bedroom house costs, on average, 220k.

You said you didn't understand why some made a big deal about being there for child birth.  I'm just asking if there are really that many events one typically has that are more monumental.  ie Wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. 

Whether you want to see it, remember it, talk about it, I don't think any of it changes the fact that it's a pretty big deal.  And even if the husband or father doesn't put much stock in it you'd still think most would want to be there for their old lady.  Right?  I mean, even if you want no part of cutting the cord or see it everything that is the wonder of choldbirth, most still won't the girl there going through it alone.

I guess I'm on the other side.  I think it's weird when the father puts work above family.  If I'm that guy's employer, friend, whatever.  And I know that he's planning on being out/away during that event I'm asking what the hell he is thinking and tell him to quit being a weirdo and to get to the ***** hospital.
Reply/Quote
Regardless of the games, they're just games, but family always comes first. I joke with my kids and tell them that if it weren't for them I'd be living on a nude beach somewhere, but truth is I'd crawl through a field of rotten manure and sleep in it for my family if I had to..
I'd even fight a bear for them..not a grizzly or a brown bear, but a care bear? I'd fight a care bear any day for them!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 11:56 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: The next 18 years or so.

So Green should miss the birth in order to play a game, but then  retire so he can spend the next 18 years with his kid?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Reply/Quote
Looks like AJ has his priorities where they should be. Family over everything.....
Reply/Quote
My wife works Labor and Delivery and I can tell you over 90% of today's deliveries are "induced". They can have it really any day they want past a certain point. If it comes early, that is a different matter.

Sex can also "trigger" the process so Wednesday night, remember what Mick said: "Women weaken legs".

In all seriousness, there is nothing that should prevent him from being there. I would imagine the team would rally and would cover for him.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: My wife works Labor and Delivery and I can tell you over 90% of today's deliveries are "induced".  They can have it really any day they want past a certain point. 

This.

Doctors like it because they can schedule when they are going to be in delivery.  Many women want their specific doctor to delivery the baby instead of whoever happens to be on duty at the hospital.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 08:22 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I never understood people who put so much value in being there at childbirth.

Oh well. If anyone has enough value and has done enough to do something like this, it's AJ.

Wow dude.  Let's see, bringing a new life into the world or playing a game?  Hmm. 

Seriously, if you've never experienced it there's nothing that compares.  For me it was almost out of body (not to be weird).  I'm not a religious person because it's man made (sorry folks) but witnessing childbirth is a very spiritual.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 01:48 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I thought we were speaking relative to other life events.  I mean comparing a single event, even one that is worthy of missing work for, to near two decades of experiences is similar to someone griping that the cable is too expensive and you reminding them that a 4 bedroom house costs, on average, 220k.

You said you didn't understand why some made a big deal about being there for child birth.  I'm just asking if there are really that many events one typically has that are more monumental.  ie Wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. 

Whether you want to see it, remember it, talk about it, I don't think any of it changes the fact that it's a pretty big deal.  And even if the husband or father doesn't put much stock in it you'd still think most would want to be there for their old lady.  Right?  I mean, even if you want no part of cutting the cord or see it everything that is the wonder of choldbirth, most still won't the girl there going through it alone.

I guess I'm on the other side.  I think it's weird when the father puts work above family.  If I'm that guy's employer, friend, whatever.  And I know that he's planning on being out/away during that event I'm asking what the hell he is thinking and tell him to quit being a weirdo and to get to the ***** hospital.

I should've been clearer.

Not the 18 years per se, but the major points in development during your kids' childhood. As long as you're there for that, (probably when things matter most) I don't see the issue.

But like I said. It's a subjective thing so I don't look down on people for placing a ton of value on it.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 02:35 AM)fredtoast Wrote: So Green should miss the birth in order to play a game, but then  retire so he can spend the next 18 years with his kid?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Not what I said at all. Green can do whatever he wants.
Reply/Quote
Been to war, and missed the birth of my second child.

If AJ wants to be there that's his right, and no one should give him any crap for it.

Its literally the worst feeling in the world not being there.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
AJ is making the correct decision. Its an amazing thing when the nurse hands you your son or daughter for the first time.
Reply/Quote

Even before I had a child, I would tell anyone to skip whatever you have to skip to be there for the birth of your child and to support the mother.  If his wife is in labor his mind would not be on a football game anyway.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 10:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've known lots of folks that have missed the birth of their child in order to do their duty, but a game is not a war no matter how many try to draw the correlation. WTS, if AJ wants to miss work, no one can blame him or blame his employer from holding that game check

Brown withholding a game check for AJ attending the birth of his child would be the biggest PR disaster this franchise has endured in a LONG time.  I guarantee they could say "bye bye" to a number of fans, especially women.  I've never considered docking one of my employee's pay because they were at the hospital with a family member.  It's not like he works at McDonald's or punches a time clock every day.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 12:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Brown withholding a game check for AJ attending the birth of his child would be the biggest PR disaster this franchise has endured in a LONG time.  I guarantee they could say "bye bye" to a number of fans, especially women.  I've never considered docking one of my employee's pay because they were at the hospital with a family member.  It's not like he works at McDonald's or punches a time clock every day.

Of course the "right" thing to do would be let him attend the birth of his child with no restrictions; however, paternity is not part of the CBA as it is in Baseball (at least I think).

It's just "Hurray AJ" rings kind of hollow for sacrificing absolutely nothing but taking a couple days off work. You are correct; it is not like McDonalds. AJ works at a job where he is paid to perform only 16 times a year. Would you expect anything of your employee if he wanted to miss 23 days of work to attend the birth of his child?

The tone should be "Hurray Mike Brown" if he allows AJ to attend the birth without compensation.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Great idea. Lets withhold AJ's game check or force him to miss the birth of his child to insure he goes to division rival when contract is up to stick it to us.

Get your point, but like you said this is not war, it is a game.

Plus everything that can be done to help it not come at game time am sure will be done short of a unnecessary c-section.

There are 7 days in a week and only one we play on. Even if it happens that day it could be before the game which he will probably just dedicate it to son. It would probably have to fall into an exact 12 hour window to prevent him from playing.

So there is almost a 13-1 chance he plays. That being said, it will happen at that exact 12 hour window of opportunity knowing our luck.

Not sweating it presently and need his mind right until then. So believe upsetting him now would be foolish.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote