Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green will miss TNF vs. Dolphins if child is born
(08-26-2016, 01:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course the "right" thing to do would be let him attend the birth of his child with no restrictions; however, paternity is not part of the CBA as it is in Baseball (at least I think).

It's just "Hurray AJ" rings kind of hollow for sacrificing absolutely nothing but taking a couple days off work. You are correct; it is not like McDonalds. AJ works at a job where he is paid to perform only 16 times a year. Would you expect anything of your employee if he wanted to miss 23 days of work to attend the birth of his child?

The tone should be "Hurray Mike Brown" if he allows AJ to attend the birth without compensation.

First off, you're only counting game days.  How often are players in training, at team activities, mini camps, and keeping themselves in shape all throughout the year?

Mike Brown and the entire organization would come off as the biggest Scrooge's in the entire world if they withheld a game check for attending the birth of a child.  I guarantee you that an action like this would be in the mind of every current player and any free agent who thinks about coming here in the next 10 years.  If I'm a rival G.M. I'm going to say "really, you're thinking about playing for those assholes when they dock players for having kids"? 
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 05:56 PM)Trademark Wrote: Wide receiver A.J. Green missed practice Thursday to take his pregnant wife Miranda to a doctor’s appointment, but he could miss something more important depending on the arrival of his son, Easton Ace Green.

Miranda is due to have the couple’s first child Sept. 30, one day after the Bengals play the Miami Dolphins in a nationally televised Thursday night game. Green said if his son is born the day of the game, he won’t play.

"I can't (play). It's the first kid,” Green said. “I want to be there.”

Green said he’s hoping Miranda is at a point where she can be induced sometime during the week leading up to the game or possibly the day before.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/sports/green-says-he-wont-play-if-baby-born-on-game-day/nsL7c/?tB4P6N

I don't blame him 
I am not trying nit pick, but the thread title is not 100% accurate. He said if his wife is in labor, he will miss the game. They are home on 29th (so hopefully child will be born in Cincy) so I don't see him missing the game if she has already delivered or has yet to go into labor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
If AJ's wife goes into labor and he has to miss the game, oh well.

Family > Football
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Look at it this way: the first game he plays AFTER the birth he will light up the opposing secondary.
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2016, 01:39 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Great idea. Lets withhold AJ's game check or force him to miss the birth of his child to insure he goes to division rival when contract is up to stick it to us.

(08-26-2016, 02:15 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Mike Brown and the entire organization would come off as the biggest Scrooge's in the entire world if they withheld a game check for attending the birth of a child.  I guarantee you that an action like this would be in the mind of every current player and any free agent who thinks about coming here in the next 10 years.  If I'm a rival G.M. I'm going to say "really, you're thinking about playing for those assholes when they dock players for having kids"? 

Rep.

Some people just don't get it.
Reply/Quote
If anybody should miss the Thursday night game against the dolphins its Geno Atkins.
Reply/Quote
This seems to be one of those situations where people who have normal jobs and lives attempt to understand a completely foreign situation. My thoughts on this don't matter, but I'm neither going to applaud AJ for putting his family first, nor throw a big ol' fit for him doing it, either.

IF it happens and it matters that he misses the game THEN we shall see how we all feel about it.
Reply/Quote
I don't blame the man one bit. I would not be working while my baby is being born
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2016, 05:56 PM)Trademark Wrote: Wide receiver A.J. Green missed practice Thursday to take his pregnant wife Miranda to a doctor’s appointment, but he could miss something more important depending on the arrival of his son, Easton Ace Green.

Miranda is due to have the couple’s first child Sept. 30, one day after the Bengals play the Miami Dolphins in a nationally televised Thursday night game. Green said if his son is born the day of the game, he won’t play.

"I can't (play). It's the first kid,” Green said. “I want to be there.”

Green said he’s hoping Miranda is at a point where she can be induced sometime during the week leading up to the game or possibly the day before.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/sports/green-says-he-wont-play-if-baby-born-on-game-day/nsL7c/?tB4P6N

I don't blame him 

Don't blame the dude one bit either.

Have to be there. I think we would pull out the win anyway for him and his fam.

Geno will have revenge on his mind. Same with lots of other players who were there at that Halloween OT game.
Reply/Quote
1. I'm perfectly fine with AJ missing a game if his wife goes into labor shortly before a game. Family first.
2. The team has proven it can win without AJ in the past. Dalton has actually had some fine games without AJ.
3. The chances of AJ's wife going into labor before a game are very slim.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-27-2016, 03:15 PM)Ricky Spanish Wrote: I don't blame the man one bit.  I would not be working while my baby is being born

Hell, you didn't work while your baby was being made. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
My first child (daughter) was born 2 weeks early in July. She was due July 13 but decided she wanted to come July 2nd. That was after going to the hospital at 6 am July 1st when my wife's water broke. She was born 27 hours later. So yeah even if they induce labor that doesn't mean it will happen. The birth of his child is more important than a football game. The fact that he is saying that way ahead of the season and there's no question about it just shows me the maturity level of him. Hes the anti WR personality and I love it
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I was present at the birth of my daughter and it was the most traumatic experience of my life. In fact, my wife agreed that if we had a second child, I didn't have to be in the room. The "experience" is highly over-rated IMO. I would have much preferred to be in some waiting room and have a nurse come tell me when my daughter had arrived like they did it in the old days. I would tell AJ to play the game and go see his new kid after. It truly is not for everybody.
Reply/Quote
Miranda should attend the game and let the trainers pop the kid out at halftime.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
It's going to be like Rocky 2 (except for the coma bs) ..when Adrienne has the baby and tells Rock to win.

AJ is going to have his kid and then go all eye of the tiger.

Reply/Quote
Can't stand Adrienne. Rocky should have stayed single.

As for Green, congratulations on the baby to come and I hope that you will be there with your wife whenever it happens.....Even if she is like Adrienne.
Reply/Quote