Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron
CBS Sports ranked the Bengals #1 on a potential return to the NFL.

I wouldn't mind this one bit.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
Negative on that one. I watched McCarron in one of his XFL games and he didn't look all that sharp, threw a couple picks and at least one of them was a pick 6. There's a very good reason that the Bengals decided to move on from AJ.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
AJ is in the XFL for a reason. Let’s get new blood in here.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 08:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Negative on that one.  I watched McCarron in one of his XFL games and he didn't look all that sharp, threw a couple picks and at least one of them was a pick 6.  There's a very good reason that the Bengals decided to move on from AJ.

I didn't watch him play but it appears he lit up the stat sheet and is the likely XFL MVP.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 08:25 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I didn't watch him play but it appears he lit up the stat sheet and is the likely XFL MVP.

Evidently, that is some drop off in talent compared to the NFL..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 08:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Evidently, that is some drop off in talent compared to the NFL..

Just a bit.

At least the speculation from the CBS article stems from AJ excelling in the XFL rather than him just suiting up and sucking from week to week. I suppose that has some NFL teams looking at him as a backup.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 08:52 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Just a bit.

At least the speculation from the CBS article stems from AJ excelling in the XFL rather than him just suiting up and sucking from week to week. I suppose that has some NFL teams looking at him as a backup.

And that translates to McCarron being of interest to the Bengals, how?  Joe Burrow's mind operates like a Stratovarious violin, while McCarron's QB brain operates more like a one-string banjo.

If the Bengals are going to "upgrade" from Allen as Burrow's backup, I'd hope that it was at least a QB with plenty of starting experience or a rookie with a very successful career as a starter and has similar traits.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 09:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: And that translates to McCarron being of interest to the Bengals, how?  Joe Burrow's mind operates like a Stratovarious violin, while McCarron's QB brain operates more like a one-string banjo.

If the Bengals are going to "upgrade" from Allen as Burrow's backup, I'd hope that it was at least a QB with plenty of starting experience or a rookie with a very successful career as a starter and has similar traits.

I don't know why the Bengals might have interest in him. He's had a good XFL season so if any teams have interest in signing him I speculate his XFL success might be the reason.

I'd like an upgrade at the backup QB spot and I don't think AJ is it.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 09:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't know why the Bengals might have interest in him. He's had a good XFL season so if any teams have interest in signing him I speculate his XFL success might be the reason.

I'd like an upgrade at the backup QB spot and I don't think AJ is it.

I don't think that he is, either.  That is why I chose to not respond positively to the notion of the Bengals being his best option of returning to the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 09:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't think that he is, either.  That is why I chose to not respond positively to the notion of the Bengals being his best option of returning to the NFL.

I sensed throughout our discourse you didn't like AJ.  Wink

Apparently he set the passing TD record for the XFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/xfl-mvp-favorite-a-j-mccarron-could-be-poised-for-nfl-return-four-potential-2023-landing-spots/
Reply/Quote
Sadly I knew this day would come when hearing AJ was doing ok in XFL.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 07:27 PM)QueenCity Wrote: CBS Sports ranked the Bengals #1 on a potential return to the NFL.

I wouldn't mind this one bit.

Does he want to sit on the bench again?

He seemed like he wanted to create memories for his kids.. and you dont do that sitting on the bench
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I sensed throughout our discourse you didn't like AJ.  Wink

Apparently he set the passing TD record for the XFL.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/xfl-mvp-favorite-a-j-mccarron-could-be-poised-for-nfl-return-four-potential-2023-landing-spots/

I don't like or dislike him, I've never met the guy.  I just think it folly that just because a guy once played for the Bengals, and he's doing well on a Semi-Pro team, to assume that the Bengals would automatically be his best fit in the NFL.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:05 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I don't like or dislike him, I've never met the guy.  I just think it folly that just because a guy once played for the Bengals, and he's doing well on a Semi-Pro team, to assume that the Bengals would automatically be his best fit in the NFL.

I was referring to his talent and ability as a player. I agree about the folly with the article. That usually seems to be the case with members in the national media and reporting about the Bengals. They stick with narratives and don't put much effort into their reporting about the team.
Reply/Quote
McCarron is going to be 33 and we already know he will take a mountain of sacks even behind a good OL. If you're going to sign an XFL QB, at least get one a bit younger. I'd rather give Jordan Te'amu a shot.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2023, 08:12 PM)Danimal Wrote: AJ is in the XFL for a reason. Let’s get new blood in here.

yea but his wife is HAWT
but seriously, I think there are some late round QBs that we can mold into a quality back up. 
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 09:58 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Does he want to sit on the bench again?

He seemed like he wanted to create memories for his kids.. and you dont do that sitting on the bench

I just read that as well. Apparently his sons like watching highlights of him on YouTube so he suited up so his boys could watch him play. Cool story but not cool enough he needs to backing up Burrow.
Reply/Quote
If we're going to bring back former backups, I'd rather have Fitzy. That said, AJ is a winner both on and off the field. He may not be the best, but remember he had Shitsburgh beaten in the playoffs before the Jeremy Hill fumble and epic defensive meltdown. He would not be my first choice, but I would sure take him over Allen.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If we're going to bring back former backups, I'd rather have Fitzy. That said, AJ is a winner both on and off the field. He may not be the best, but remember he had Shitsburgh beaten in the playoffs before the Jeremy Hill fumble and epic defensive meltdown. He would not be my first choice, but I would sure take him over Allen.

I remember it very differently from that. 

I remember him scoring 0 points for the first 3 quarters against the 30th ranked passing defense while throwing an INT and fumbling the ball 3 times, giving the Steelers 6 of their 18 points while the Bengals defense put on an absolute masterclass performance in getting turnovers, shutting down the 4th scoring offense, and keeping them in the game despite a lack of offense. McCarron had 56% completion, 5.2 YPA, and a 68.3 QB Rating. The defense (particularly Burfict) absolutely balled out and handed the W to the offense... which Hill then promptly fumbled away.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2023, 10:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: If we're going to bring back former backups, I'd rather have Fitzy. That said, AJ is a winner both on and off the field. He may not be the best, but remember he had Shitsburgh beaten in the playoffs before the Jeremy Hill fumble and epic defensive meltdown. He would not be my first choice, but I would sure take him over Allen.

Selective memory at best
Reply/Quote