Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ McCarron Greeted By Browns Owner and Head Coach Before Game.
When McCarron becomes a Free Agent in about 10 weeks, he will quickly become a Cleveland Brown.  The deal was done but somebody on Browns didn't turn it into NFL Headquarters by 4 PM deadline.  The very fact that the Browns owner was on the field before the game with AJ McCarron says more than Hue Jackson with him, but they were all with him from The Browns.  So in about 10 weeks or so, if Bengals do this right, McCarron will be on The Browns and Bengals will get a 2nd round draft pick if they are smart enough to use the 2nd round tender on him. It would be stupid to use his original 5th round tender.  I think too greedy to use a first round tender because even Browns may not give up a first round for him.  If Bengals use the second round tender, Bengals get a second round pick and Browns Owner gets McCarron after their trade deadline foul up.  So the trade that didn't happen, happens. OK, no extra third round pick, but getting a second round pick not bad.

I'm glad Bengals won at home.  Now they have to beat Steelers before we can start drinking the possible play-off Kool Aid.   Still, I have to mention the TV announcers talking about how Browns Owner and Coach were on the field with McCarron as if he is already a Cleveland Brown.  Give it about 10 weeks and he will be. The trade will get done in a round about way.  They get McCarron and if we get an extra second round pick I suggest to Mike Brown we are in dire need of offensive line. Please, no more running backs and wide receivers until we get some blockers. Having the worst O Line at tackle, guard, center across the board is just killing us.  Rams in Super Bowl hunt with Whitworth though.  Another Mike Brown Blunder.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
What if AJ hits the open market & signs with Pittsburgh? They may be in the market for a QB. That would make these boards interesting, lol.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
My guess is there will be several teams interested in AJ if he's a unrestricted free agent. However I think he's going to end up a restricted free agent, and we'll slap that first round tender on him, which might turn some teams off. I just don't see them going back 4 years and undoing his redshirt rookie season.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 09:01 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What if AJ hits the open market & signs with Pittsburgh? They may be in the market for a QB. That would make these boards interesting, lol.

I hope that he goes to Pittsburgh and becomes the starter there. I would absolutely love getting 2 wins on them and them having a bad record every year when he's the starter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Im sorry but thats weird that it happened, not so much with Hue as they have a relationship but for AJM, Hue and Jimmy "Sleezy" Haslam to be part of the discussion as well.......especially in front of their current team and QBs............It's almost like they were mocking both the Bengals and their current staff...........and laughing at the ineptitude of what caused the trade not to go through....
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 09:11 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: My guess is there will be several teams interested in AJ if he's a unrestricted free agent. However I think he's going to end up a restricted free agent, and we'll slap that first round tender on him, which might turn some teams off. I just don't see them going back 4 years and undoing his redshirt rookie season.

The first round tender for McCarron might turn every team off.   You are correct it will turn teams off.   It's also the most expensive tender for Mike Brown to offer.  ....The original 5th round tender is Mike Brown cheap, but it's also stupid with Cleveland owner having a love fest with McCarron before yesterdays game.  We know Cleveland owner was happy over trading a 2nd and 3rd round to Bengals for McCarron but celebrating so much they forgot to get trade to NFL Headquarters before deadline.....So 1st round tender too high, 5th round tender too low....2nd round tender just right, if you go on the 3 Bears Story of looking at it. ...We already know Cleveland will give up a 2nd round for McCarron.....Hey, if we walk away with a 1st round for McCarron 5th round pick, sure, GREAT, but I don't want to see us still sitting with restricted free agent QB after it's over. McCarron doesn't want to be here and has said so, and Bengals have no plans of benching Dalton of Pro Bowls. McCarron doesn't want to spend 5 or 6 years on the bench, and you can't blame him when you look at some of the stiffs at QB this year in the NFL.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
He will be a restricted FA and we will tender him with a second round probably. He will go to Cleveland and we will have the first pick of the second round.
Reply/Quote
I think you can tender them at a first and shop them for less if I'm not mistaken.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps they're just playing old Mikey boy trying to get him to toss out the first round tender so we end up with the highest paid backup of all time with absolutely no intention of signing him.  After all, it's not exactly news that Cleveland will be picking high in next year's draft. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
The restricted free agent stuff is IF AJ wins his appeal, which is unlikely. The likely thing that happens is that the Bengals win and the contract of AJ McCarron is Bengals property to trade again.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 08:31 AM)kevin Wrote: When McCarron becomes a Free Agent in about 10 weeks, he will quickly become a Cleveland Brown.  The deal was done but somebody on Browns didn't turn it into NFL Headquarters by 4 PM deadline.  The very fact that the Browns owner was on the field before the game with AJ McCarron says more than Hue Jackson with him, but they were all with him from The Browns.  So in about 10 weeks or so, if Bengals do this right, McCarron will be on The Browns and Bengals will get a 2nd round draft pick if they are smart enough to use the 2nd round tender on him. It would be stupid to use his original 5th round tender.  I think too greedy to use a first round tender because even Browns may not give up a first round for him.  If Bengals use the second round tender, Bengals get a second round pick and Browns Owner gets McCarron after their trade deadline foul up.  So the trade that didn't happen, happens. OK, no extra third round pick, but getting a second round pick not bad.

I'm glad Bengals won at home.  Now they have to beat Steelers before we can start drinking the possible play-off Kool Aid.   Still, I have to mention the TV announcers talking about how Browns Owner and Coach were on the field with McCarron as if he is already a Cleveland Brown.  Give it about 10 weeks and he will be. The trade will get done in a round about way.  They get McCarron and if we get an extra second round pick I suggest to Mike Brown we are in dire need of offensive line. Please, no more running backs and wide receivers until we get some blockers. Having the worst O Line at tackle, guard, center across the board is just killing us.  Rams in Super Bowl hunt with Whitworth though.  Another Mike Brown Blunder.

I fully expect the Browns to pursue McCarron again this offseason, but IMO they should pursue Cousins instead. They have the cap space to do it and he's better than McCarron.
Then draft Barkley and Sutton in the first round to give Cousins some legit weapons. Use the second and third rounder(s) for defense.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 09:01 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: What if AJ hits the open market & signs with Pittsburgh? They may be in the market for a QB. That would make these boards interesting, lol.

You know, I never thought about that scenario...but I suppose it could happen.

I think there's atleast some chance that the Bengals Franchise Tag him and work out a trade.
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:21 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He will be a restricted FA and we will tender him with a second round probably.   He will go to Cleveland and we will have the first pick of the second round.

That's too be determined by the NFL. Basically what it will come down to is if the NFL believes our doctors assessment that he wasn't healthy enough to be active.
Reply/Quote
I know these two front offices and coaching staffs are seemingly friendly with each other, but this seems like a tampering
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 08:31 AM)kevin Wrote: When McCarron becomes a Free Agent in about 10 weeks, he will quickly become a Cleveland Brown.  The deal was done but somebody on Browns didn't turn it into NFL Headquarters by 4 PM deadline.  The very fact that the Browns owner was on the field before the game with AJ McCarron says more than Hue Jackson with him, but they were all with him from The Browns.  So in about 10 weeks or so, if Bengals do this right, McCarron will be on The Browns and Bengals will get a 2nd round draft pick if they are smart enough to use the 2nd round tender on him. It would be stupid to use his original 5th round tender.  I think too greedy to use a first round tender because even Browns may not give up a first round for him.  If Bengals use the second round tender, Bengals get a second round pick and Browns Owner gets McCarron after their trade deadline foul up.  So the trade that didn't happen, happens. OK, no extra third round pick, but getting a second round pick not bad.

they were talking about the Alabama Aulburn game I believe
Reply/Quote
(11-27-2017, 10:28 AM)whodey4life84 Wrote: I think you can tender them at a first and shop them for less if I'm not mistaken.

If that's the case, sure, put a first round tender on him.  

As for Steelers, I doubt Steelers owner and coach will be shaking hands and such with McCarron next week.  The Browns owner left no doubt that had his front office not fumbled the trade deadline, McCarron would have been starting yesterday against the Bengals. In February look for this owner to shake hands with McCarron again as they sign contracts and had him a Cleveland jersey.  I've heard sports shows say McCarron is probably better than the QB's in the 2018 draft and therefore a great move by Cleveland who has been looking for a QB ever since Bernie Kosar, and that's a long time ago.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
It was the most blatant form of tampering in modern league history. And everyone peeped it. Marvin and co won't do a thing because it was with his good buddy. If this was another team we'd have the Browns 2nd round pick in short time.

A job interview in plain sight. Unprecedented.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Clearly a deal is in the making with Browns and AJM if he hits open market.

Should have dealt him in offseason, just got to hope they restrict him now.

If so it will work out still.

Browns 2nd round pick would be sweet.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
The Browns could give up their 2nd round pick for AJ a/o that would be a pick they could get w/o screwing it up!
Reply/Quote
I’m going to go against the tide, no, not the Crimson Tide, and predict AJ McCarron will still be a Bengal in 2018.
Reply/Quote