Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
AJ McCarron is a future star
(07-16-2015, 10:12 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Why does everyone seem to cap on Binns?
Comparing him vs McCarron is unrealistic. Binns was a UDFA, McCarron was not.

My issue with Binns was that people were using his draft status to compare him to Victor Cruz or Arian Foster since they were UDFA rather than compare him to the zillion UDFA who stunk...which he ended up being more like.  McCarron?  Who knows, but I'm sure at least one person has brought up Tom Brady being a 6th round pick, so meh.

It's not Binns I had an issue with, it's just every off-season some guy who has never done a thing gets put on some sort of godly pedestal and the reasoning he is going to be awesome is  because he's never been given a shot, or he's mad, or he wants to prove people wrong, blah blah blah.  People are so deductive in their reasoning...they want the guy to be awesome SO everything points towards awesome.

undrafted?  He's like Cruz, or Foster, he's mad, he needs a chance, he wants to prove them all wrong
drafted high?  Dude was high on our priority list, I trust what the coaches saw/think, he's in demand

etc.. and so on.

McCarron:

5th round pick = so what...Brady was a 6th round pick

BUT people also point out that circumstance kept McCarron from being a 1st round pick, possibly. So he's got what makes late round picks good in his favor BUT he also coulda been a 1st round pick which makes him look good, too. Guy's got it all!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-17-2015, 01:04 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I think 40 yards per game isn't a bad average at all for a 2nd year WR that is not the number 1 go to guy on the team.

Our other other 2nd year WR's avg:
Marvin Jones (45 yards/g)
Andrew Hawkins (38 yds/g) (3rd year 24.9 yds/g)
Sanu's (28.4 yards/g)

Other than Hawkins, these guys were not UDFA's (Hawkins came from the CFL, so he wasn't as raw as Binns).

So what do you think of our other year 2 wr's? Because after looking, it's quite common for No 2 wr's to average about 40 yds/g in their 2nd year.

Jones managed to play for more games than Binns (who was benched) he also caught 10 touchdowns. Ignorant to leave that out.
Sanu got lost behind Jones that year. 
And it isn't just those numbers that make them better, it's literally everything else about them. They are better. They have more skills, better athleticism and are just better at the sport of football.
It's rather ridiculous that you are trying to defend the crapfest that was Armon Binns this much later. Move on dude. 
Reply/Quote
(07-16-2015, 03:02 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, but i doubt it goes down like that like i said.

With all his weapons back, some added, a solid O-line and badass running game i see Dalton having a big year this season barring injuries.

I hope you're right.  With limited injuries, he should have his best season yet.  Please god!!!!
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-20-2015, 09:40 PM)EatonFan Wrote: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000501986/article/ranking-backup-qbs-from-no-1-to-32

How dare the fools rank the next Tom Brady that low! 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 12:53 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How dare the fools rank the next Tom Brady that low! 

Solid post. I wonder where they ranked Brady after his rookie year.

Most likely #1
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 01:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Solid post. I wonder where they ranked Brady after his rookie year.

Most likely #1

Clearly.
Wonder if Brady got his nuts hugged as tightly as people are to McCarron's?

Not surprised that got you riled up
Reply/Quote
I'll be negative or skeptical and say : He was far from a top draft pick, more a late pick, so teams were not after him for some reason. He hasn't been in a regular season game and he may not have played in a preseason game yet, being injured early after getting drafted. The NFL is as different from college as going to third grade is from going to college. That is why only 5 % to 10 % of the college players ever make an NFL team and why even less land and keep a job in the NFL. Players all say it's hard to adjust to how much more complicated and how super fast the NFL is during a game. You are going up against the best of the best and all NFL players were stars in college and high school, such as a Peyton Manning, but they made the transition to the NFL. Quarterback happens to be one of the hardest jobs to learn in the NFL, because of the speed and the complex defenses. There have been many NFL quarterbacks who didn't even start or come into their best years until after years of struggling. It's one position a wise old veteran that can read NFL defenses has an advantage over a rookie. So let's wait to see this guy play in his first NFL games before we say he is a future star.

Now I'll be positive. As a Bengal Fan, wouldn't it be great if every single pick of the Bengals ever became stars. I hope every Bengals draft pick is better than other teams draft picks.....and as I type that, I see how silly it sounds, but as a Fan, I can want all our picks to work out every year and get us to the Super Bowl.

So, going into training camp in August, competition is a good thing. You would rather have competition than have positions where nobody fills the jobs and the team is weak. You want more good players than bad players. You want an opening day roster of talent from from top to bottom including the injury/ practice/ reserve squad. Dalton has played 4 years and had 4 winning seasons. Only injuries will keep him from being the QB in 2015. I saw Ken Anderson have good and bad times early in his career. I saw Terry Bradshaw have rough times early in his career. Dalton who has been getting us to the play-offs, may turn the corner and become a wise old veteran who now knows the defenses and the speed of the NFL and starts picking teams apart and winning in the post season. ....Still, we need a solid back-up, and McCarron stepping up would keep us from drafting a quarterback in 2016 and let us draft positions needing more help. The more young players step up, the more it helps future drafts to focus on needs we haven't drafted.

As a Fan, I want Dalton to become a wise old veteran and lead this team to play-off wins. I also want solid back-up quarterbacks because injuries happen. Dalton has started every game since drafted, 4 years, 64 regular season games, and 4 play-off games making 68. We have been lucky not to have much need for a back-up, because when Carson split it left our depth weak. We could use solid depth at QB unlike the guy last year who could run but could not pass. That may work in college, but this ain't college. We need solid throwing back-ups. ....It's way to early to say McCarron is a future star, but we are in dire need of a solid back-up QB. Kitna and Gradkowsi were solid back-ups. Heck, the Raiders once had Lamonica, Stabler and Blanda as QB depth. The Colts once had Unitas and Earl Morral. Washington with the starter injured, won a Super Bowl with a back-up QB who had good and bad early years with Tampa Bay. Forget the QB controversy thing, having good depth is a good thing. The modern salaries make it hard to load up at QB today, but you still need solid back-up depth in spite of that. McCarron could fill that need in 2015. ...He needs to play in his first preseason and has much catching up to do and still much to learn.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 01:40 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Clearly.

....got pretty riled up over Johnny Doucheball too....must be an SEC thing Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

Then you did what you set out to do.  You must've really popped a boner on that one.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Not riled up, just thought it was a comment that didn't make a lot of sense.

Brady and McCarron are pretty much in the exact same boat after year 1.

Brady most likely didn't get his "nuts hugged as tightly". Most of the smart guys probably said Bledsoe was drafted higher and brady hadn't did anything in the NFL. No reason to entertain the thought of anybody starting but Bledsoe.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 03:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not riled up, just thought it was a comment that didn't make a lot of sense.

Brady most likely didn't get his "nuts hugged as tightly". Most of the smart guys probably said Bledsoe was drafted higher and brady hadn't did anything in the NFL. No reason to entertain the thought of anybody starting but Bledsoe.

I saw a a story about how a guy once survived having a steel bar driven through his head.

Guess that mean I am pretty stupid to think that having a steal bar driven through my head might kill me.

I mean, it happened once a long time ago.  So that means I should just expect it to happen all the time.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 03:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not riled up, just thought it was a comment that didn't make a lot of sense.

How didn't make sense? People here are overreacting to a guy who spent last year injured, was a 5th round pick and hasn't even seen a significant snap of football in 2 years.
Do you realize how crazy the hype is? TWO YEARS SINCE HE HAS THROWN A MEANINGFUL PASS
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 05:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I saw a a story about how a guy once survived having a steel bar driven through his head.

Guess that mean I am pretty stupid to think that having a steal bar driven through my head might kill me.

I mean, it happened once a long time ago.  So that means I should just expect it to happen all the time.

(07-21-2015, 05:38 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How didn't make sense? People here are overreacting to a guy who spent last year injured, was a 5th round pick and hasn't even seen a significant snap of football in 2 years.
Do you realize how crazy the hype is? TWO YEARS SINCE HE HAS THROWN A MEANINGFUL PASS

I'll just assume that neither of you watched the draft when McCarron was selected. They didn't talk about any other pick the rest of the round. Whether the 2 of you and others think it is warrented; doesn't change it.

I just choose not to correct the ones that are buying into the hype.

Some say there is nothing to suggest he will suceed because he hasn't done anything in the NFL. Guess what else there is nothing to suggest?

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'll just assume that neither of you watched the draft when McCarron was selected. They didn't talk about any other pick the rest of the round. Whether the 2 of you and others think it is warrented; doesn't change it.

I just choose not to correct the ones that are buying into the hype.

Some say there is nothing to suggest he will suceed because he hasn't done anything in the NFL. Guess what else there is nothing to suggest?

Generally speaking, that's how 5th round picks work. When a "high profile" player is taken that late, they tend to talk a lot about him. 

You "choose" to not correct them? Bullshit. Just say you bought into the hype and be done with it. 

You are again trying to paint it as though people do not want him to succeed. Which is blatantly false. How many 5th round or later QBs are starters? How many are good? Odds are enormously against him becoming more than a career backup/spot starter. But that's nothing isn't it? 
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 05:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Guess what else there is nothing to suggest?

The fact that he was a 5ht round draft picks suggests that he will probably never be anything more than a back up.

It doesn't absolutely determine that he will be nothing more than a back up, but it certainly suggests as much.
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 12:53 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: How dare the fools rank the next Tom Brady that low! 

He's right where he should be.
He hasn't earned a ranking, yet.
Just because I feel the guy will do well doesn't mean squat.
ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I've got to admit I'm intrigued to see him perform in preseason games.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(07-21-2015, 11:20 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: He's right where he should be.
He hasn't earned a ranking, yet.
Just because I feel the guy will do well doesn't mean squat.
ThumbsUp

That's because you can apparently put 2 and 2 together. 
Now the rest...
Reply/Quote
http://youtu.be/Az8u757zkFg
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote