Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Says He Can Wait For New Contract
AJ says he can wait until after this year for a new contract.

AJ says that he's in no rush for a new contract and that he won't let the race for a new contract of other NFL receivers- Dez, Demaryius, Julio- have any impact on his contract:
Quote:Green said that all the receivers hunting for long-term deals are different people on different teams, leaving him with the feeling that their deals won’t “say anything about me.” Instead, Green is spending his time focused on football and believes his “body of work will speak for itself.”

I love it and it's a sign that we have a high character guy that is all about football and is a class act.

You never hear a receiver talk like he's not here for the money, but that's exactly how AJ sounds and what he pretty much said:

Quote:“I don’t get into all the ‘I need a contract stuff,'” Green said at his football camp in Ohio on Thursday, via ESPN.com. “I’m not here for money. I’m not broke. So I’m fine. I can wait until the end of the year to get a contract, but I know that time is coming.”

Running a football camp in Ohio also is a good sign because, to me, it says he likes being here. If he didn't, he would run the camp back home in South Carolina or in Georgia where he went to college.

The dude will be making millions of dollars, so he knows that that will be enough.

I'm sure some people will say "oh, he's just saying that and he wants to wait until next season because he knows that the other receivers will set the pay-bar and he'll get the most because he's last," but that risks a bad year and making less, plus the injury risk, and AJ's not a diva like other receivers.

He'll end up with a big deal, but AJ being focused on his life and football, but not his contract, makes me love him even more.

We have a hell of a guy on our team!
Reply/Quote
He'd be wise to let Dez and Demaryius go first anyways.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 06:32 PM)Stormborn Wrote: He'd be wise to let Dez and Demaryius go first anyways.

Be quiet we don't need him to know that. Your 100% right though!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 07:21 PM)J24 Wrote: Be quiet we don't need him to know that.  Your 100% right though!

Julio is in the same boat if I'm not mistaken, claims he's not worried and can wait. 

They will all get at least 14 million a year, the only one I could see beating out Megatron at 16.2 mpy is Dez.
Reply/Quote
AJ's agent must cringe when he sees this.

But in all reality, if he waits won't he end up getting more money ? Assuming he has an awesome year as I expect him to have.

IDK. IMO its better to lock him up pronto.
Reply/Quote
Does this mean, once he's able to, that he walks? Just playing .... well, devils advocate.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
He's going to get plenty of money regardless, so I think he's got the right attitude.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2015, 07:45 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: IMO its better to lock him up pronto.

Agree
Reply/Quote
Well, to temper this some, hes better off the later he signs. The more guys with worse stats (or similar) that sign in front of him, the more his stock goes up.
Reply/Quote
Of course the downside of him waiting for him is the possibility of a major injury, and not having some guaranteed money coming his way.

Can't predict them and they can hit hard.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 01:15 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Of course the downside of him waiting for him is the possibility of a major injury, and not having some guaranteed money coming his way.

There are some things you just never speak, much less think of...the above is one of them. This franchise has been snake bitten by that bug so many times I don't even want to think about an issue with A.J.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 01:45 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: There are some things you just never speak, much less think of...the above is one of them. This franchise has been snake bitten by that bug so many times I don't even want to think about an issue with A.J.

That's the point, I don't that's entering his mind here. 

But it is in the back of my mind for me and the fans, and organization 
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 12:59 AM)Benton Wrote: Well, to temper this some, hes better off the later he signs. The more guys with worse stats (or similar) that sign in front of him, the more his stock goes up.

Exactly. The guy had a pretty mediocre year in 2014.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Elite WR with a mediocre coach and a mediocre QB. You put this guy on an offense with Romo and his numbers are through the roof. Bengals would be wise to lock him up to a long term deal as soon as possible.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 01:15 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Of course the downside of him waiting for him is the possibility of a major injury, and not having some guaranteed money coming his way.

I suspect that he has an insurance policy.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 02:43 AM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Exactly. The guy had a pretty mediocre year in 2014.

Mediocre year? He was injured. He looked great when he was out there in all but 1 or 2 games.
Reply/Quote
IMO, AJ will be tagged. There are just too many other deals that need to be addressed. For example, below are the 13 players whom I think are solid contributors that become free agents after this season:

Leon Hall
A.J. Green
Andrew Whitworth
Andre Smith
Reggie Nelson
Wallace Gilberry
Adam Jones 
Vincent Rey
Mohamed Sanu
Brandon Thompson
Emmanuel Lamur
Marvin Jones
George Iloka

Of the 13, Smith and Rey are the two that will most likely not be re-signed by the Bengals. Of the 11 remaining, there are 6 deals that, IMO, have to be made. Those six are:

Whitworth (2)
AJ Green (1)
Marvin Jones (6)
Iloka (3)
Either Hall or Adam Jones (4)
Either Gilberry or Thompson (5)

The number in parenthesis is what I believe to be the difficulty of getting that extension done. AJ's being the most difficult, Marvin Jones the easiest. Given this, the Bengals should focus the time between now and the start of the season to lock up MJones, one of the DT's and maybe Iloka if possible.

The three remaining (Nelson, Sanu, Lamur) would be nice to have but certainly not crushing losses if it were to go that way.

Long story short, I think there will be similar AJ threads at this time next season.
Reply/Quote
Those claiming waiting helps him and hurts our pocket book, how so? AJ said himself they are different and their deals shouldn't effect his. I am saying this tongue in cheek of course, his agent seriously must hate this as that is the card he most likely would use when they get their deals.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 10:59 AM)Who Dey Time Wrote: IMO, AJ will be tagged.  There are just too many other deals that need to be addressed.  For example, below are the 13 players whom I think are solid contributors that become free agents after this season:

Leon Hall
A.J. Green
Andrew Whitworth
Andre Smith
Reggie Nelson
Wallace Gilberry
Adam Jones 
Vincent Rey
Mohamed Sanu
Brandon Thompson
Emmanuel Lamur
Marvin Jones
George Iloka

Of the 13, Smith and Rey are the two that will most likely not be re-signed by the Bengals.  Of the 11 remaining, there are 6 deals that, IMO, have to be made.  Those six are:

Whitworth (2)
AJ Green (1)
Marvin Jones (6)
Iloka (3)
Either Hall or Adam Jones (4)
Either Gilberry or Thompson (5)

The number in parenthesis is what I believe to be the difficulty of getting that extension done.  AJ's being the most difficult, Marvin Jones the easiest.  Given this, the Bengals should focus the time between now and the start of the season to lock up MJones, one of the DT's and maybe Iloka if possible.

The three remaining (Nelson, Sanu, Lamur) would be nice to have but certainly not crushing losses if it were to go that way.

Long story short, I think there will be similar AJ threads at this time next season.

I don't see Hall or Jones being big priorities for them. They have their replacements on the team now. I would love to have Jones more so than Hall. I would love to have Hall back, but not at no 10(ish) million a year. Same with Gilberry and Thompson.

I agree with the rest though. I actually kind of hope they don't re-up Rey so they can hopefully draft Rey M's replacement next year. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2015, 07:35 AM)Baby Hawk Wrote: I suspect that he has an insurance policy.

Wouldn't bet against that.
Reply/Quote