Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
AJ saying goodbye?
you be the judge

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I mean it's pretty obvious he won't be here next year. It has been all year.

His game appears to have declined to the point that the Bengals shouldn't want him.
Reply/Quote
Couldn’t they have got Lap or someone to do this video? Callahan kind of ruins it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
AJ is barely here this year.
Reply/Quote
I hate seeing of all positions the Bengals great WRs finishing
Their careers elsewhere...
Pickins and the Titans
Chad with New,England
TJ with Seahawks??

At least Collinsworth and Curtis played their whole careers
In Cincy.

Just depressing AJ ends his Bengal career with a clown for a coach
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 12:38 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Couldn’t they have got Lap or someone to do this video? Callahan kind of ruins it.

Hand up, I didn't even know that was Brian Callahan until they flashed his name at the bottom.  I was thinking "Who's this dude?".

Not sure if I just forgot what he looked like, or if it's been so long since I've seen him in front of camera.  But I'm usually pretty good with knowing who everyone is that surround this franchise.  In this case, I didn't even recognize our on "offensive coordinator".
Reply/Quote
Thought it was incredibly unfair to say "AJ Green will go down as the greatest Bengals WR of all time".

Chad has more yards here (Leading by 1,500), still has the TD lead, and is probably the most nationally relevant player we've ever had, or at least in the last 30 years.

Not to mention, Chad played a full decade ahead of AJ, when the pass game wasn't quite as explosive as it is now. There wasn't "targeting" penalites, and the DB's could play a lot more physical. And as good as the Ravens and Steelers defenses and teams are right now, they were even better during Chad's tenure. (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, James Harrison, etc.)

I think it's safe to assume that had Chad played when AJ did that his numbers would be even greater.

Fwiw, I'm not pointing any of this out to dismiss AJ. I'm pointing this out because I think that comment by Callahan dismisses Chad. I think there's a debate there to be had, as the two receivers are so close. So I would preferred he would have said "one of the greatest" or "there's a chance..."

I just don't think you can definitely say "AJ Green is the greatest wide receiver in Bengals history". Not yet he's not.
Reply/Quote
Chad was definitely better. Multiple All Pro’s, far more durable, and was probably the best WR in the league from 05-07. AJ was never the absolute best in any given year.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Thought it was incredibly unfair to say "AJ Green will go down as the greatest Bengals WR of all time".

Chad has more yards here (Leading by 1,500), still has the TD lead, and is probably the most nationally relevant player we've ever had, or at least in the last 30 years.

Not to mention, Chad played a full decade ahead of AJ, when the pass game wasn't quite as explosive as it is now.  There wasn't "targeting" penalites, and the DB's could play a lot more physical.  And as good as the Ravens and Steelers defenses and teams are right now, they were even better during Chad's tenure. (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, James Harrison, etc.)

I think it's safe to assume that had Chad played when AJ did that his numbers would be even greater.

Fwiw, I'm not pointing any of this out to dismiss AJ.  I'm pointing this out because I think that comment by Callahan dismisses Chad.  I think there's a debate there to be had, as the two receivers are so close.  So I would preferred he would have said "one of the greatest" or "there's a chance..."

I just don't think you can definitely say "AJ Green is the greatest wide receiver in Bengals history".  Not yet he's not.

I agree it is a debate, since I could argue the other side  But I really don;t have a problem someone stating their opinion... as "the best" especially when they have some real support behind it.. that is what opinions are.   For example I actually think Curtis is the greatest wr in Bengal history and I have no problem saying it or defending it....
Reply/Quote
Four years ago A J was the best WR who ever played for the Bengals.

Four years later, Chad remains the greatest WR in team history.

Just think what A J could have accomplished playing for one of the top 16 franchises.

Why would any  player who wants to win  ever agree to come to this organization?

A J, Geno, Carlos, all should be an example for Burrow.

Burrow should get out ASAP.

The chances of Burrow ending up with the Bengals like Carr or Mariota are far higher than him ending up as a Hall of Fame Super Bowl winner.

He is way too good for this sorry organization.
Reply/Quote
I think AJ is moving on this offseason.
He is one of my favorite Bengals, but it's time.

I still am not sure why he was tagged though. I know there was hope he would return to form and they probably didn't want to offer a multi-year contract with him coming back from injury, but did the team really expect to compete for playoffs this year after winning just 2 games the year prior? That $18 mill that came with the franchise tag could have been better invested toward a younger player to help the rebuild, especially if the Bengals knew they were going to draft a WR early. Keeping AJ would have only made sense if the team was going to realistically be a contender, of which they clearly are not.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
AJ has been a total class act, brought the spotlight back to the Bengals early in his career .. was refreshing to see that especially at WR position which many times in this league seemed to be "it is all about me" mentality. I hope he can stay healthy, improve his play with another team and end his career on a good note.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:06 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Four years ago A J was the best WR who ever played for the Bengals.

Just think what A J could have accomplished playing for one of the top 16 franchises.

Why would any  player who wants to win  ever agree to come to this organization?

The chances of Burrow ending up with the Bengals like Carr or Mariota are far higher than him ending up as a Hall of Fame Super Bowl winner.

There is no way you can judge "Burrow" on the limited amount of games and you actually just referenced some very good players that played most of their career with the Bengals.  and Curtis is the best WR ever for Bengals, I will take PB at his word on Curtis.... 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 02:06 PM)bengals67 Wrote: Four years ago A J was the best WR who ever played for the Bengals.

The reason for AJ not being the best WR statistically in Bengal history is primarily because of his health.

Both Chad and AJ played 10 seasons for the Bengals.
Both basically had one of those years not really doing anything. For Chad, it was his rookie year (only 3 games started, 329 yards). For AJ, it was 2019 where he didn't play a game.
Aside from that, Chad was active for 27 more games than AJ was.
Chad was only 108 receptions for 1460 yards and 1 TD more than AJ.
If AJ had been able to play as many games as Chad did, I would guess the likelihood AJ would have passed Chad in receptions, yards, and TDs would be very high.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Really sad ends for AJ, Dunlap, and probably Geno.

I cannot stand my favorite team anymore. Good job, Zach!
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 01:12 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Thought it was incredibly unfair to say "AJ Green will go down as the greatest Bengals WR of all time".

Not to mention, Chad played a full decade ahead of AJ, when the pass game wasn't quite as explosive as it is now.  There wasn't "targeting" penalites, and the DB's could play a lot more physical.  And as good as the Ravens and Steelers defenses and teams are right now, they were even better during Chad's tenure. (Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Troy Polumalu, James Harrison, etc.)

Fwiw, I'm not pointing any of this out to dismiss AJ.  I'm pointing this out because I think that comment by Callahan dismisses Chad.  I think there's a debate there to be had, as the two receivers are so close.  So I would preferred he would have said "one of the greatest" or "there's a chance..."

I just don't think you can definitely say "AJ Green is the greatest wide receiver in Bengals history".  Not yet he's not.

Ehh. He has to say it but we know better.  Even if an had had the injuries over the last couple years and put up bigger numbers then Chad he still wouldn't be better.

Stats tell one story but when you see them play it changes everything and Chad had something aj never did.

Ajs great and I don't mean to take anything away from him but he shouldn't have made that statement.  It's not fair to aj or Chad.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2020, 12:59 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I hate seeing of all positions the Bengals great WRs finishing
Their careers elsewhere...
Pickins and the Titans
Chad with New,England
TJ with Seahawks??

At least Collinsworth and Curtis played their whole careers
In Cincy.

Just depressing AJ ends his Bengal career with a clown for a coach

I felt a little good about Chad ending his career in New Engalnd if only because while they didn't win, Chad got to go to a Superbowl and catch a pass in it. If nothing else that's a nice achievement to remember for him. Winning one would obviously be better, but going to one (and catching a pass) is still more than a lot of guys get in their career.

(12-18-2020, 01:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Chad was definitely better. Multiple All Pro’s, far more durable, and was probably the best WR in the league from 05-07. AJ was never the absolute best in any given year.

I like AJ a lot, but this has always firmly been my hill I will gladly die on if need be. AJ was great, but never the best. Chad had a stretch where he was the best and he did it during a time where the AFCN was an absolute bloodbath as far as opposing defenses go, with some all-time great HoF defenders going for your head.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I will apply the  “It's better to burn out than to fade away” card here. 

AJ kinda faded away unfortunately.
Reply/Quote
Love both Chad and AJ. But Chad was better.

Chad led the league in receiving yards in '06 and had 5 straight seasons where he finished in the top 6 ('03-'07)

AJ's highest finish was 5th in '13 and he only had 2 other seasons where he finished in the top 10 (8th in '15, and 10th in '12)
Reply/Quote
I've always been on the chad was better side. He was better during a less passing friendly era. Plus he has other HoFers complimenting him. Ray Lewis said he had the best feet of all time if I recall and revis said he is the best route runner of all time.

AJ was great, but as others have said he was never considered the best. It does suck to see him likely leave on a very low note.
Reply/Quote