Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abolishing the suburbs?
(07-29-2020, 06:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote:

Sounds like a good deal to most suburbanites.  Don't mistake the "outrage" in the twitter comments as representative of actual opinion..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-29-2020, 10:14 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sounds like a good deal to most suburbanites.  

Perhaps if you present the rule in that way rather than acknowledging that the rule actually required localities requesting these block grants to make plans to address segregation, and then you get to the root of what this campaign against the rule is actually about. 

Though, living miles from a town consistently ranked as "the best place to live" that was built with the purpose of having walkable, mixed income neighborhood villages, I don't think more suburbanites are necessarily against the idea of affordable housing.

Quote:Don't mistake the "outrage" in the twitter comments as representative of actual opinion..

It's a bit disingenuous to dismiss the outrage as being confined to twitter comments, but even twitter comments, absent of bots, do represent actual opinions, especially since the president declares policy via twitter. 

This seems to play into the myth of the silent majority. 

Looking at polling data, an independent poll commissioned by Oppurtunity Starts at Home found that 91% of Americans believe that housing affordability is a big issue that Congress and the President should address ( 49% believing it's one of the top issues). That includes a majority of suburbanites. Now, that doesn't specifically address low income housing, but CATO conducted a poll too. They found that  amajority of Americans believe housing affordability is an issue in their community, and a majority (59%) support building more houses, condos, and apartments, including a majority of Republicans and Suburbanites. When the question is posed as "building more... to lower housing costs in your community", the number goes from 59% to 71%. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Just think how many more poor people we'd have trying to invade our dream suburban lives if abortion weren't legal. WHEW! At any rate, it's nice to see neo-cons finally stop with the nonsense about jobs and the american dream and prosperity and just flat-out admit that their goal is to keep poor people from moving into better neighborhoods.
Reply/Quote
Mellow

[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 08:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: Mellow

That guy couldn't be more off base.  The POTUS spoke the truth, and didn't sugar coat anything.  Where does "your guy" get the idea that the POTUS said anything wrong?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That guy couldn't be more off base.  The POTUS spoke the truth, and didn't sugar coat anything.  Where does "your guy" get the idea that the POTUS said anything wrong?

Maybe in the suggestion that invasions were occurring and that suburbanites do not support affordable housing.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 10:46 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Maybe in the suggestion that invasions were occurring and that suburbanites do not support affordable housing.

Actually, they do.  Weather willingly or not, they most likely don't get to decide where their tax dollars go.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, they do.  Weather willingly or not, they most likely don't get to decide where their tax dollars go.

Are you agreeing with me and those two polls I dropped a few posts back that said suburbanites do support affordable housing, or are you trying to say they support Trump’s resistance to it?

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Are you agreeing with me and those two polls I dropped a few posts back that said suburbanites do support affordable housing, or are you trying to say they support Trump’s resistance to it?

Hmm, I didn't see your polls, but I will look at them.  What I was saying is that some people unwittingly agree to funding things that they had no idea they were supporting, by simply voting for a candidate that appealed to them on "one sensitive issue".  This is quite common at the local level of politics.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I didn't see your polls, but I will look at them.  What I was saying is that some people unwittingly agree to funding things that they had no idea they were supporting, by simply voting for a candidate that appealed to them on "one sensitive issue".  This is quite common at the local level of politics.

Sure, but we’re discussing a federal politician and a federal rule, specifically if his statements on it are “wrong”.

Reply/Quote
The largest city in my home county, Columbia, is routinely ranked one of the best small cities/towns to live in as well as one of the safest.

It was created by Edward Norton’s grandfather (the actor is a native) in the 60’s as a mixed income/housing community with no racial restrictions.

It remains an economically and ethnically diverse place with some of the best schools in the state.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2020, 11:48 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The largest city in my home county, Columbia, is routinely ranked one of the best small cities/towns to live in as well as one of the safest.

It was created by Edward Norton’s grandfather (the actor is a native) in the 60’s as a mixed income/housing community with no racial restrictions.

It remains an economically and ethnically diverse place with some of the best schools in the state.

But so they have a strip mall with parking? Who cares about diversity when you have to make eye contact with someone who looks different between your leased car and the hobby lobby to pick up your whateverthefuxk is sold there.
Reply/Quote