Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
About Burfict
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of this guy anymore. I used to like him, but I am pretty tired of the antics and constant suspensions, and averaging a concussion a season.

On top of that though, I feel like he really wasn't that good for us last year. I wanted to know why everyone is so excited, just in case I misread his performance last year.

Does he fit well with Austin's style of play? Is he actually still a dominant player, or are we clinging on to the past a bit?

Would love some insights from others who probably know better than I do.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:58 PM)thillan Wrote: I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of this guy anymore. I used to like him, but I am pretty tired of the antics and constant suspensions, and averaging a concussion a season.

On top of that though, I feel like he really wasn't that good for us last year. I wanted to know why everyone is so excited, just in case I misread his performance last year.

Does he fit well with Austin's style of play? Is he actually still a dominant player, or are we clinging on to the past a bit?

He's still one of the most dominate LBers in the league..... when he's on the field.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 12:58 PM)thillan Wrote: I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of this guy anymore. I used to like him, but I am pretty tired of the antics and constant suspensions, and averaging a concussion a season.

Let's ask this, would you rather play against Burfict or Evans?  To me that's not even close. When Burfict is in the game, offense have to know where he is, Evans is a good young player, but I don't think offenses worry about him much. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:01 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He's still one of the most dominate LBers in the league..... when he's on the field.

I'm just not quite sure about this anymore though.. I remember him returning fat and out of shape last time. I think he's a Tier 2 or Tier 3 LB, IMO.

(09-18-2018, 01:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Let's ask this, would you rather play against Burfict or Evans?  To me that's not even close. When Burfict is in the game, offense have to know where he is, Evans is a good young player, but I don't think offenses worry about him much. 

Definitely agree with him being better than what we have out there now. I just see a lot of posts about Burfict being a game changer once he comes back, and I just think he's an upgrade more than anything else. I think there is also value in not having players that will draw more attention on your ENTIRE defense from the refs. Burfict draws a quick trigger on the entire defense because of his style.

I still have hope he changes it, but especially with the new rules this year on tackling, I don't see how he doesn't get hit with a few big penalties. Look at the roughing the passer calls in the league right now.. he will need to make some big adjustments, and he hasn't even been on the field to experience how differently the refs will call it.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Let's ask this, would you rather play against Burfict or Evans?  To me that's not even close. When Burfict is in the game, offense have to know where he is, Evans is a good young player, but I don't think offenses worry about him much. 

I rather not play against him. Not cause he’s better but I don’t want to get maimed or killed.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:10 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm just not quite sure about this anymore though.. I remember him returning fat and out of shape last time. I think he's a Tier 2 or Tier 3 LB, IMO.

Definitely agree with him being better than what we have out there now. I just see a lot of posts about Burfict being a game changer once he comes back, and I just think he's an upgrade more than anything else. I think there is also value in not having players that will draw more attention on your ENTIRE defense from the refs. Burfict draws a quick trigger on the entire defense because of his style.

I still have hope he changes it, but especially with the new rules this year on tackling, I don't see how he doesn't get hit with a few big penalties. Look at the roughing the passer calls in the league right now.. he will need to make some big adjustments, and he hasn't even been on the field to experience how differently the refs will call it.
I don't think most of the personal fouls against Burfict has been of the "too rough on the tackle" variety, but more of the extra stuff he has done.
There have been games where he has been the game change though. When he came back for the Pittsburgh game a couple of years ago and accidently tore Bell's ACL, he woke up the team that game I felt just being on the field. 
Reply/Quote

Well, Burfict in my opinion is the best LB i have ever seen in stripes so i guess we disagree big time.

Great passion, great tackler, great football mind.

He should fit in perfectly with Austin's style which is to tackle well and cause turnovers.

Burfict just better come in in shape. Should take a game or two to get in football shape though, this is a given.

All i can say is that it is nice to have this guy backing you up. I know the Stealers would love to have him on their team.

Burfict hates them almost as much as i do, probably another reason why i love the guy.
Reply/Quote
He can still be the dominant LBer, but. .he absolutely has to clean up his style of play or he'll be a liability. His mama and papa had sex a few years too late.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:10 PM)thillan Wrote: I'm just not quite sure about this anymore though.. I remember him returning fat and out of shape last time. I think he's a Tier 2 or Tier 3 LB, IMO.

Message board BS..... he's always come back ready to play...…
Quote:Burfict played 36 snaps (48 percent) with five tackles in his first game back in 2015 with five tackles at Pittsburgh; 34 snaps (76 percent) with three tackles in his debut in 2016 – and on a short week in a Thursday night game against Miami; and 52 snaps (80 percent) with six tackles in his first game last year.

“If we say it’s going to be 20 (snaps), then he ends up playing 40,” Lewis said. “If we say it’s going to be 30, he plays 50 because he won’t come out once he’s in there. And then all he’ll do is afterward tell you guys (reporters) how he was so winded and we made him play too much.
“But he’s the one who won’t come off the field,” Lewis continued. “But he has done a good job of getting himself in condition and being read to make the transition back into playing.”

You don't play 80% of the snaps and have 6 tackles if you are fat and out of shape.....
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:16 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well, Burfict in my opinion is the best LB i have ever seen in stripes so i guess we disagree big time.

Great passion, great tackler, great football mind.

He should fit in perfectly with Austin's style which is to tackle well and cause turnovers.

Burfict just better come in in shape. Should take a game or two to get in football shape though, this is a given.

All i can say is that it is nice to have this guy backing you up. I know the Stealers would love to have him on their team.

Burfict hates them almost as much as i do, probably another reason why i love the guy.

I agree about him being the best LB we have had.. but to me that also talks about how talented we have been at LB lol. Again, I think he is GOOD, but I wonder about his true impact.

But I agree about points on here of how he scares offenses, which can't be underestimated. It is nice to have a guy who actually makes the Steelers scared. 

I just think he has taken it too far too many times, and I felt like there has been a decline in his impact and play. 
Reply/Quote

Drugs are bad. Tier 2 or tier 3 are you trying to troll. Burfict is the best linebacker to ever play in a Bengals uniform. Because his bad reputation he doesn’t get elected to pro bowls. The way he plays he’s gonna miss a Game or two every year. There’s a big difference when he makes a tackle versus anyone else. You can ever hear the difference from the tv.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:26 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Drugs are bad.   Tier 2 or tier 3 are you trying to troll.   Burfict is the best linebacker to ever play in a Bengals uniform.  Because his bad reputation he doesn’t get elected to pro bowls.  The way he plays he’s gonna miss a Game or two every year.  There’s a big difference when he makes a tackle versus anyone else.  You can ever hear the difference from the tv.

"The way he plays he's gonna miss a game or two ever year."

I mean.. that's not a good thing? Especially since he's missing 4 already. There's a reason why guys like Frank Gore are beloved around the league. Durability is so massively underrated in this league. I'll take less tackles that make you go "OOOO" for 1-2 more games of Burfict. 

And yes, I think there are enough LBs that I consider better than Burfict to justify Tier 2 or 3 honestly. But I understand the debate. I obviously think he's closer to 2.
Reply/Quote
Burfinct is the best LB since Thurman Odell that we've had, just a bit more reliable, durable and a bruiser for opposing defenses. His presence in the defense is easily felt when he is playing. Maybe being a great LB requires the roughest of the roughest and intuitive genes out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:34 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Burfinct is the best LB since Thurman Odell that we've had, just a bit more reliable, durable and a bruiser for opposing defenses. His presence in the defense is easily felt when he is playing. Maybe being a great LB requires the roughest of the roughest and intuitive genes out there.

Good point about LB needing to be the roughest guy out there. Just want him to be smarter about it.. which we all do of course.

One positive is that he now will be playing next to Preston Brown, which should help his play. I don't know when he has ever played next to a talented LB.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 01:19 PM)thillan Wrote: I agree about him being the best LB we have had.. but to me that also talks about how talented we have been at LB lol. Again, I think he is GOOD, but I wonder about his true impact.

But I agree about points on here of how he scares offenses, which can't be underestimated. It is nice to have a guy who actually makes the Steelers scared. 

I just think he has taken it too far too many times, and I felt like there has been a decline in his impact and play. 

We haven't had the best LB's here for sure but a lot of that goes into coaching. Burfict is like another coach on the
field and i think he will help out our young guys. Think he has really cleaned up the dirty part of his game over the
last few years and the rules mess with his game.

But man, can that dude tackle....

The way he sinks his hips and explodes into the tackle is something i have not seen in another player.
Reply/Quote
Yeah he is one of the very few LBs in the league that can take over a game.
Reply/Quote

That was when he came back in 2016.  Last season after the suspension from the preseason hit, he came back ready to go, and in pretty damn good shape.  If I'm remembering all of this correctly.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

hes not applying to be a super model... 

His production on the field hasn't dipped.   this defense is a whole nother beast when he is out there....  

Getting him and brown back on the field will be huge for us.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who questions Burficts impact hasn't watched enough Bengals games. I'm super excited to get him back.

Will he fit Austin's defense? Ofcourse he will. He causes fumbles, INTs and Defensive TDs all the time!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2018, 02:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Anyone who questions Burficts impact hasn't watched enough Bengals games. I'm super excited to get him back.

Will he fit Austin's defense? Ofcourse he will. He causes fumbles, INTs and Defensive TDs all the time!

Oh God please, that argument is so ridiculous. I watch every single football game all year, so yes I know Burfict. Just because I have my questions that differ from the majority, doesn't mean I don't know football. 

I do agree that he is one of the best on our team at causing turnovers. That said, last year he only forced one fumble.
Reply/Quote