Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to the Bengals social media Myles Murphy generated the 2nd best pressure
….rate of any rookie

Future bright as hell
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 01:52 PM)Housh Wrote: ….rate of any rookie

Future bright as hell

Link so we can read about it?
Reply/Quote
While I think a lot if the concerns about the are certainly valid (poor run D, lack of pass rush outside of Trey, too many mistakes in the secondary), I di not think the FO is panicking.

I think there is still a high level of belief, in the building, about the guys we have.
Specifically, Murphy, Dax Hill, and Turner.

I'd be shocked at a big FA move or use of a Day 1-2 pick at DE.

Similarly, I think Hill & Turner are viewed as starters. While I think CB/S depth could use a boost, a big time FA move seems unlikely unless we whiff at DT and have $$ to spend after WR/RT are taken care of. It is a string S FA class and a good CB class depth wise.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 02:07 PM)Nepa Wrote: Link so we can read about it?

It’s from Next Gen Stats.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
He's only 22.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 03:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s from Next Gen Stats.

Thanks.
Reply/Quote
That’s encouraging
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
If we could draft a couple picks early to team up with him.... Time to get young there. He's a good start.
Reply/Quote
I'm hoping he takes a big step forward next year. I was hoping for better than a 5-way tie for 14th among rookies in sacks from a 1st round pick. If he could take over for Hubbard (assuming Hubbard doesn't bounce back) sometime next year, that'd be good.

Murphy played 28% of the defensive snaps and had 3.0 sacks and 3 QB Hits.
Ossai last year played 32% of the defensive snaps and had 3.5 sacks and 10 QB Hits.

That 2nd best pressure rate has to be among DEs as this year the best rookie pass rushers were largely DTs and OLBs....
DT Kobi Turner: 9.0 Sacks, 16 QB Hits
OLB Byron Young: 8.0 Sacks, 19 QB Hits
OLB Yaya Diaby: 7.5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits
DE Will Anderson: 7.0 Sacks, 22 QB Hits
DT Jalen Carter: 6.0 Sacks, 9 QB Hits

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Why wasn’t he first? Watta bust… . Cut him on the double!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 05:10 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I'm hoping he takes a big step forward next year. I was hoping for better than a 5-way tie for 14th among rookies in sacks from a 1st round pick.

Murphy played 28% of the defensive snaps and had 3.0 sacks and 3 QB Hits.
Ossai last year played 32% of the defensive snaps and had 3.5 sacks and 10 QB Hits.

That 2nd best pressure rate has to be among DEs as this year the best rookie pass rushers were largely DTs and OLBs....
DT Kobi Turner: 9.0 Sacks, 16 QB Hits
OLB Byron Young: 8.0 Sacks, 19 QB Hits
OLB Yaya Diaby: 7.5 Sacks, 8 QB Hits
DE Will Anderson: 7.0 Sacks, 22 QB Hits
DT Jalen Carter: 6.0 Sacks, 9 QB Hits

You are harping on totals, not rates. A guy who doesn'tcplay as much won't accumulate as many counting stats, savvy? 

Murphy was raw coming out of college. He was never gonna start ahead if Hendrickson (2nd in league in sacks) and Hubbard. Hubbard had a down year, but I think an injury was part of it (he is having off-season surgery, I think). Ossai got hurt early and found himselglf behind Murphy & Sample when he got back. 

For this year,,I think you can put DE as one of the positions we do the least at. Right up there with QB, PK, IOL, and LB. 
Reply/Quote
His improvement over the season is definitely a reason to have hope heading into next season. Especially when coupled with the flashes we saw with the babies in the defensive backfield. When they are all grown up, they will be really really good.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 05:28 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: You are harping on totals, not rates. A guy who doesn'tcplay as much won't accumulate as many counting stats, savvy? 

Murphy was raw coming out of college. He was never gonna start ahead if Hendrickson (2nd in league in sacks) and Hubbard. Hubbard had a down year, but I think an injury was part of it (he is having off-season surgery, I think). Ossai got hurt early and found himselglf behind Murphy & Sample when he got back. 

For this year,,I think you can put DE as one of the positions we do the least at. Right up there with QB, PK, IOL, and LB. 

Which is why I put and acknowledged the % of snaps that Murphy played. Only one of those top-5 rookie sack guys played at least 2/3 of their team's defensive snaps. So even if you doubled Murphy's snaps and production there's no way he passes the guys with 16, 19, and 22 QB Hits and a good amount of sacks to go with them... but you can't even just double his stats because...

When looking at % played you can't fall into the fallacy of playing 2 or 3 times the snaps will give you 2 or 3 times the sacks and qb hits. We have seen this with Carlos Dunlap, with Carl Lawson, with BJ Hill, heck even the first year Trey Hendrickson was here people were saying he would get even more sacks than his FA year with the Saints because he only played 57% of the snaps., then he played over 150 more snaps his first year with us and got 0.5 more sacks because playing more means you need to do more which tires you out more. It isn't just additive to statistical production.

Just adding more snaps doesn't magically add an equal amount of more counting stats, and "pressure" is 100% an arbitrary determination which is why every single site that judges pressure has different totals. At least sacks and QB hits are something you can physically see if it happened or not.

- - - - - -

EDIT:

Not to say I am writing him off or anything, I still hope he is amazing next year. (Or it is going to look terrible that we took a raw project backup for our 1st round pick when we are in a SB window.) I am just not going to get hyped over a Bengals team social media post that is missing information to the point that it overwrites both what I saw and what non-opinion stats show.

Reply/Quote
He's not a real Myles until he hit's a QB with their own helmet.

Reply/Quote
Get some interior pressure in the draft to help this defense that is having to swap out veterans now that the offensive players are gonna get paid a lot more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I believe/hope Murphy will develop into a solid rotational player for our Dline. The question is will he be even more? And we need to develop for what's after Sam and Trey.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 05:50 PM)pally Wrote: His improvement over the season is definitely a reason to have hope heading into next season.  Especially when coupled with the flashes we saw with the babies in the defensive backfield. When they are all grown up, they will be really really good.

I think that is the bet we made and we will stick with it. Unless a Brown Jr. type situation falls in our lap with a secondary guy (Winfield deciding he wants an OH return, for instance), I don't think ww will go hunting for a big ticket secondary acquisition. Depth at CB? Yep. Nick Scott upgrade? Sure. 
Reply/Quote
Myles Murphy with 1000+ game reps in is gonna be a dangerous MOFO

He’s doing this without any go to moves. When he gets some he’s gonna own the league

Wonder if Hubbard can put on weight and just play DT with BJ Hill until whoever we drafts gets up to speed
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 09:13 PM)Housh Wrote: Myles Murphy with 1000+ game reps in is gonna be a dangerous MOFO

He’s doing this without any go to moves. When he gets some he’s gonna own the league

Wonder if Hubbard can put on weight and just play DT with BJ Hill until whoever we drafts gets up to speed

So mid-late 2025 season?

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2024, 03:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s from Next Gen Stats.

Didn't expect this from MM as a rookie honestly. Thought he would take more time to learn moves and shed blockers. Maybe we ought 
to keep Hobby around. Murphy was so raw, but with great athleticism and underrated strength. I saw flashes of this late in the season 
and it was very refreshing to see. Being only 22 and actually coming around this quick I could see Myles Murphy being a stud down the
road, something we desperately need besides Trey Hendrickson.
Reply/Quote