Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI overrated players; Bengals have three on the list
(08-19-2015, 09:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: He's not underrated even slightly by the definition of this article. It's saying "the player's team overrates them" (not the media, not the fans), so underrating would use the similar definition in this thread.

The team has had Andy's back, said that he's a good QB, and has let him start every single game and even stay in games that he didn't belong in.

There is ZERO chance he's underrated going by the definition given by SI. He's also not overrated either in any sense of the word, so I'm not bashing Andy whatsoever. You guys need to give it up and understand that you're allowed to be realistic about the dude. He's NOT underrated or overrated by the SI definition.

I know what the article is saying. If he wasn't underrated then he would be getting paid more than Kaepernick, or maybe the 49ers are just overrating Kaepernick?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:09 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I know what the article is saying. If he wasn't underrated then he would be getting paid more than Kaepernick, or maybe the 49ers are just overrating Kaepernick?

I believe it's much more that than anything. They gave him a high price tag and have stuck with him, and it's been mostly because of one solid year and one great postseason.

Now, he isn't an awful quarterback, but almost $20 million per year average? Yikes. Not to mention they seem to be happy with him at the helm. I don't know, he's a playmaker and all of that good stuff, but he's not worth the money the other young guys are getting. I guess at the time it made sense though. That's the money that it takes to keep a franchise QB nowadays, and I'm sure now the 49ers have a lot more problems to solve than Kaep not being an amazing pocket passer.

Andy is getting paid about exactly what he's worth right now, the team has stuck with him through the outside criticism and haven't thought twice about it, and they always stick up for him and say great things about him. There's no real way to say that he's underrated by the team as of this very moment. Now, if he has a career year, dominates through the playoffs, and wins the Super Bowl and none of the current perception changes (though we both know it would), then we can call him underrated all you'd like.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Actually, from everything I'm hearing and watching his improvements on video, including the one I just posted, I think he's very underrated this year.

No one is talking about him in the national media and, if all of the videos are any indication, he's poised for a breakout year.

last year dalton visited with  Mr house also..and the preseason talk was the same..better accuracy and more zip to his passes..no offense but when dalton actually wins a playoff game then talk about a "breakout year"

preseason videos are not an indication of anything
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:55 AM)xavierdude Wrote: last year dalton visited with  Mr house also..and the preseason talk was the same..better accuracy and more zip to his passes..no offense but when dalton actually wins a playoff game then talk about a "breakout year"

To be fair there was only 3 starting offensive skilled position players that was healthy the whole year. Dalton, Hill, and Sanu.
Reply/Quote
SI is antiquated. Can't believe that rag is still in print.

Guess MJ was overrated by TB, as they pursued him last year, and Minny with their 'vaunted' Ninja HC this season, who also proclaimed Peko as the best NT just a few short years ago, while ( Peko ) basically Had the same production last year as he had while Zimmer was here.

I just don't see how either of these guys can be considered over rated, when 1) MJ is returning, therefore hasn't even had a chance at being rated either way, 2) Peko exemplifies the Blue Collar worker every team strives to have. He'd start on 32 teams.

Saying any team over rates a starting QB, or any QB is nonsense and epitomizes the coaching cliché's that writers write and coaches coach, for a reason.

Andy may not be Peyton Manning, but he ain't too bad either. He has what it takes. The coaches see it, the owner sees it and his teammates see it.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 08:53 PM)tigershrimp Wrote: Peko gets gassed. If they have to lean on him, it's bad. I'm semi-delirious to see the Stripers reclaim Sims.

Michael Johnson is another good reclamation for Guenther. He may be overrated for the price (I don't know what he's getting), but that's an area where depth on this team ---pass rushers, I mean---is especially golden.

So I guess the main idea here is SI can go to heck. Wait'll they see what those two do with the D-line stacked and backed. I can't wait for them to get after it.

If I remember correctly we are not paying him much but he is still getting paid 18 Mil by the Bucs
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 10:55 AM)xavierdude Wrote: last year dalton visited with  Mr house also..and the preseason talk was the same..better accuracy and more zip to his passes..no offense but when dalton actually wins a playoff game then talk about a "breakout year"

If he wins a playoff game, then it would be a breakout postseason.  Players can have breakout years on teams that don't even make the playoffs.

And, yes, there was talk last year after he visited with House, and I was impressed, but now I'm impressed even more.

Andy has also talked about feeling more confident, which I'm pumped because last year he might have felt more confident, but everything I'm reading and seeing this year makes it seem like he knows he's the man and is ready to lead the team where it needs to go.

We just have to hope that half of his starting weapons don't miss the playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:16 PM)J24 Wrote: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/13/all-overrated-team-andy-dalton-byron-Maxwell

Andy, Michael Johnson, and Peko are all on the list. Surprised that Hall wasn't on there because of his price tag and the fact he is not starting.

Dalton is overrated by some people, but I believe most have resigned themselves to not buying the hype until they actually see him ascend as a QB.

Marvin Lewis loves Peko and says he's one of the best in the league. He doesn't say that about Dalton. Peko's job is more along the lines of occupying blockers than sacks or tackles. There's no stat for occupying blockers. Devon Still has offered zero help and he's been listed as his backup for a long time on the depth chart.

Michael Johnson had a bad year last year that's probably why he's on the list. If he puts up 10 sacks, no one will call him overrated.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 11:43 AM)Devils Advocate Wrote: SI is antiquated. Can't believe that rag is still in print.

SI is still an excellent source for in depth sports stories

There are still a lot of people out there with attention spans over 200 words.
Reply/Quote
SI is over rated

I would never buy it myself. Doctors office reading material. For Football, there are football weekly papers much better. I can get about anything off internet these days, and I like CBS Sports.com. CBS has been covering NFL since the 1950's and so have 8 decades of covering the NFL. Their ratings of players in the next draft are as good as anybody's and it's a free site. SI has the swimsuit issue and other things, but for just football there are better sources. By the time SI hits the stands, that news is a week old. Bengals.com still a great place for the latest Bengals news.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 09:54 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Marvin Lewis loves Peko and says he's one of the best in the league.

No he doesn't. You're thinking of Zimmer.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:19 AM)kevin Wrote: SI is over rated

I would never buy it myself. Doctors office reading material. For Football, there are football weekly papers much better. I can get about anything off internet these days, and I like CBS Sports.com. CBS has been covering NFL since the 1950's and so have 8 decades of covering the NFL. Their ratings of players in the next draft are as good as anybody's and it's a free site. SI has the swimsuit issue and other things, but for just football there are better sources. By the time SI hits the stands, that news is a week old. Bengals.com still a great place for the latest Bengals news.

SI is about long in depth articles.  Not daily news or player stats.
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2015, 11:25 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: No he doesn't. You're thinking of Zimmer.

I swear I read something near the end of last year about Marv's feelings on Peko. It might have been in a new conference.

Reply/Quote