Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SI overrated players; Bengals have three on the list
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/13/all-overrated-team-andy-dalton-byron-Maxwell

Andy, Michael Johnson, and Peko are all on the list. Surprised that Hall wasn't on there because of his price tag and the fact he is not starting.

https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Overrated players not teams. My bad: mods please fix!
J24

Reply/Quote
The first rule of "Most Overrated" lists is that the author never properly grasps what "overrated" means. Dalton often sucks but there's no way he's overrated. He's sort of a national punchline. I guess he could be overrated if you think the infamous "Dalton Line" saying how mediocre he is is too generous.

edit: Oh nevermind, I don't know how I missed it said whose TEAMS think too highly of them.
The artist formerly known as Heretic
Reply/Quote
Dalton being a national punchline while still being declared highly overrated is just the most hypocritical one-two punch I've seen in a while.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton being a national punchline while still being declared highly overrated is just the most hypocritical one-two punch I've seen in a while.

National media: MUST TRASH DALTON ANYWAY NECESSARY!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:16 PM)J24 Wrote: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/08/13/all-overrated-team-andy-dalton-byron-Maxwell

Andy, Michael Johnson, and Peko are all on the list. Surprised that Hall wasn't on there because of his price tag and the fact he is not starting.

I wonder if SI has a new definition for the word "overrated".  I honestly think those are three underrated players, at least nationally. 

Andy will never get love nationally (even after beating Brady, Manning, Rogers, Brees, Vagiburger, etc.) until he is the starting QB of a team that wins the playoffs.  Despite so many turds that have been drafted with him or after him that haven't come close to his production, he isn't Andrew Luck so he much therefore suck.

Peko doesn't fill the stat sheet, but when he is kept fresh he is very effective at plugging up the middle and keeping folks off his LBs.  He is also the fiery guy that most of us have clamored for on offense and in the coaching office.

MJ doesn't get credit for his run stuffing and ability to bat down passes.  I think he will get more sacks this season and will pay huge dividends in the run game.  I think this defense finished 22nd in total yards allowed last year....
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 05:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Dalton being a national punchline while still being declared highly overrated is just the most hypocritical one-two punch I've seen in a while.

My thoughts exactly. Lame.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

I believe we have a context issue here:

"Players whose teams think too highly of them". Not the media's opinion.

Just a fancy way of thinking these guys are overpaid, which, ironically, also seems incorrect in this case.

Dalton's apy ranks 18th in the league and his guaranteed money is among the bottom of those with 2nd contracts. He's not really overpaid when you actually gather up some facts.
Reply/Quote
Peko gets gassed. If they have to lean on him, it's bad. I'm semi-delirious to see the Stripers reclaim Sims.

Michael Johnson is another good reclamation for Guenther. He may be overrated for the price (I don't know what he's getting), but that's an area where depth on this team ---pass rushers, I mean---is especially golden.

So I guess the main idea here is SI can go to heck. Wait'll they see what those two do with the D-line stacked and backed. I can't wait for them to get after it.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton overrated?

Now there's a good joke.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2015, 07:17 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I believe we have a context issue here:

"Players whose teams think too highly of them". Not the media's opinion.

Just a fancy way of thinking these guys are overpaid, which, ironically, also seems incorrect in this case.

Dalton's apy ranks 18th in the league and his guaranteed money is among the bottom of those with 2nd contracts. He's not really overpaid when you actually gather up some facts.

Anyway you look at it doesn't make sense. The team really hasn't made a huge commitment to him financially because they can cut him after this season.    
J24

Reply/Quote
I suppose I'm in the minority on this one but I agree with all 3 guys. If I had to pick 3 overrated players on the team I might pick the same 3.
Reply/Quote
Come onnnnnnn now.

Andy overrated? Let's be realistic here. There's absolutely zero chance he's underrated, but he's more of just....there. He's an average starter at his position that is paid an average salary. He has shown enough flashes of great play that the coaching staff doesn't need to start 36 year old journeymen while taking first round QB after first round QB trying to hit the jackpot. Andy is fine, not overrated or underrated at all.

MJ is definitely either in the same category as Andy or a bit underrated himself. He's a good 4-3 DE and will hopefully get to prove that this year. Sucks that he already went down, but luckily it's not major.

Peko is definitely overrated. He hasn't been good for 2 years but he would be fine in a rotation. The coaching staff definitely thinks too highly of him. Queue the "BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HIS JOB ONLY COACHES DO!!!!!!", uhhhh, sure, but I promise you that a GOOD 4-3 NT isn't supposed to be beat as often as he was in 2013 and especially 2014. You're just admitting that you either didn't watch the Bengals in 2014 and/or know absolutely nothing about line play if you thought Peko had a good year last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 08:47 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Come onnnnnnn now.

Andy overrated? Let's be realistic here. There's absolutely zero chance he's underrated, but he's more of just....there. He's an average starter at his position that is paid an average salary. He has shown enough flashes of great play that the coaching staff doesn't need to start 36 year old journeymen while taking first round QB after first round QB trying to hit the jackpot. Andy is fine, not overrated or underrated at all.

MJ is definitely either in the same category as Andy or a bit underrated himself. He's a good 4-3 DE and will hopefully get to prove that this year. Sucks that he already went down, but luckily it's not major.

Peko is definitely overrated. He hasn't been good for 2 years but he would be fine in a rotation. The coaching staff definitely thinks too highly of him. Queue the "BUT YOU DON'T KNOW HIS JOB ONLY COACHES DO!!!!!!", uhhhh, sure, but I promise you that a GOOD 4-3 NT isn't supposed to be beat as often as he was in 2013 and especially 2014. You're just admitting that you either didn't watch the Bengals in 2014 and/or know absolutely nothing about line play if you thought Peko had a good year last year.

Actually, from everything I'm hearing and watching his improvements on video, including the one I just posted, I think he's very underrated this year.

No one is talking about him in the national media and, if all of the videos are any indication, he's poised for a breakout year.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Actually, from everything I'm hearing and watching his improvements on video, including the one I just posted, I think he's very underrated this year.

No one is talking about him in the national media and, if all of the videos are any indication, he's poised for a breakout year.

Dalton has been underrated from day 1. He will always be underrated until the Bengals are able to win in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:44 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Actually, from everything I'm hearing and watching his improvements on video, including the one I just posted, I think he's very underrated this year.

(08-19-2015, 09:47 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton has been underrated from day 1. He will always be underrated until the Bengals are able to win in the playoffs.

He's not underrated even slightly by the definition of this article. It's saying "the player's team overrates them" (not the media, not the fans), so underrating would use the similar definition in this thread.

The team has had Andy's back, said that he's a good QB, and has let him start every single game and even stay in games that he didn't belong in.

There is ZERO chance he's underrated going by the definition given by SI. He's also not overrated either in any sense of the word, so I'm not bashing Andy whatsoever. You guys need to give it up and understand that you're allowed to be realistic about the dude. He's NOT underrated or overrated by the SI definition.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:49 AM)djs7685 Wrote: He's not underrated even slightly by the definition of this article. It's saying "the player's team overrates them" (not the media, not the fans), so underrating would use the similar definition in this thread.

The team has had Andy's back, said that he's a good QB, and has let him start every single game and even stay in games that he didn't belong in.

There is ZERO chance he's underrated going by the definition given by SI. He's also not overrated either in any sense of the word, so I'm not bashing Andy whatsoever. You guys need to give it up and understand that you're allowed to be realistic about the dude. He's NOT underrated or overrated by the SI definition.

If the team thinks too highly of him, then why did we structure his contract so that we could cut him after any given year and move on without losing more money?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 12:59 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I suppose I'm in the minority on this one but I agree with all 3 guys. If I had to pick 3 overrated players on the team I might pick the same 3.

Now THERE's a shock. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2015, 09:53 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: If the team thinks too highly of him, then why did we structure his contract so that we could cut him after any given year and move on without losing more money?

Honestly, can you not read at all or is this just more of your trolling?

I clearly said multiple times in this thread that he's NOT OVERRATED either, ya goofball.

Where did I ever agree with SI and say the team thinks too highly of him? I'll wait for you to show me that one.
Reply/Quote

(08-18-2015, 05:37 PM)Junglejuice Wrote: National media: MUST TRASH DALTON ANYWAY NECESSARY!!!!!

Yeah they act like all Bengals fans and the world proclaim him to be a top 10 QB and as good as Andrew Luck.  If anything Bengal fans and the media and very realistic about Dalton in general.  My guess is this list, aside from just being plain ignorant of reality, is reacting to the coaches apparent absolute confidence in AD and puzzling over it instead of ignoring it.
Reply/Quote