Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adam Jones fined 35K
(09-16-2015, 03:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is that a "no" you don't remember? What part of the logic behind if someone starts something with you and you finish it I'll support you don't you get? Seriously?! It ain't rocket science.

Royal if someone hits you first and you hit back I'll support you. Period. And if you hurt that person then they shouldn't have messed with you.

This is pretty much how I feel about this.  That game got really testy, really fast.  There were several minor incidents throughout.  I think I remember seeing Pacman get hit in the head sort of late on a punt return, then smack the dude that did it in the head.  There was a lot of jawing on both sides, and then the thing with Cooper happened.  I don't think it was as bad as it has been portrayed.  He pushed Cooper's head down.  It hit his helmet.  Pacman had every opportunity to punch him (ala Andre Johnson and that Finnegan douche), but he didn't.  All in all, it was much ado about nothing.  People were talking as though they had never seen anything like that before...  And let's not forget the last time these two teams played here.  Whitworth tried to fight the entire defense. 
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:04 PM)djs7685 Wrote: No, I'm not saying it was the absolute only issue, but it was the most recent issue that he suffered discipline for past the 2012 horse collar tackle.

He was fined and/or suspended 3 times. 2007 (bodyguards), 2008 (stripper), 2012 (horse collar tackle fine).

I'm just saying that using the facts here of what he has been involved with in his career, the fact that this fine is $35 mil instead of $15 mil has much more to do with the severity of THIS occurrence and has very, very little to do with stuff that happened 7-8 years ago.

First of all, it's thousand, not mil.

Second, fighting is a MINIMUM $25,000 fine.  http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/07/27/nfl-releases-fine-amounts-for-every-violation/  I'm pretty sure what Jones did falls under "fighting".  I can see upping it from minimum when he pulled off (or caused the removal of if you want to split hairs) the helmet, was then sitting on top of (already "won") then gave an extra shove.

Third, notice that fine schedule the top 3 offenses are NOT something that can be considered a by-product of playing the game.

Fourth, you keep saying point to something else and referencing past influencing the current?  Andre Johnson, never known for fine worthy incidents before the incident with Finnegan several years got $25,000 if I recall correct.  Let's see your stats for fines for fighting?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:31 PM)Penn Wrote: First of all, it's thousand, not mil.

Second, fighting is a MINIMUM $25,000 fine.  http://sports.cbslocal.com/2015/07/27/nfl-releases-fine-amounts-for-every-violation/  I'm pretty sure what Jones did falls under "fighting".  I can see upping it from minimum when he pulled off (or caused the removal of if you want to split hairs) the helmet, was then sitting on top of (already "won") then gave an extra shove.

Third, notice that fine schedule the top 3 offenses are NOT something that can be considered a by-product of playing the game.

Fourth, you keep saying point to something else and referencing past influencing the current?  Andre Johnson, never known for fine worthy incidents before the incident with Finnegan several years got $25,000 if I recall correct.  Let's see your stats for fines for fighting?

I'm well aware that it's thousands, I've referenced it throughout the thread many times, the million was a goofy mishap.

I read your post here a couple times and I'm still not sure how you're arguing with me. What's your point? Half the board was clamoring that what Jones did was no big deal, this fine shows that it's probably a bigger deal to the league than half of the people in JN believe it is.

Again, I never even put my own opinion on the matter into the equation. I'm just saying the numbers show that the NFL categorized and deemed it more than "no big deal, it's just a football game. Violent sport ya know!" that a lot of people in the other threads were saying.

The fact that they categorized it as "fighting" and not "no big deal" proves my point more than opposing it. Not to mention it's even $10k more than the usual fighting fine, right? As you said, probably because of the helmet, which shows that its more than "no big deal". Your numbers prove my point, thanks.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:48 PM)jj22 Wrote: Is that a "no" you don't remember? What part of the logic behind if someone starts something with you and you finish it I'll support you don't you get? Seriously?! It ain't rocket science.

Royal if someone hits you first and you hit back I'll support you. Period. And if you hurt that person then they shouldn't have messed with you.

It's a "the retaliation always gets treated worse" common sense principle doesn't exist anymore.

That's always been the case. You never retaliate like that. Never. You save it for the next play and you drop the guy. 

Hit someone like Iloka hit Cooper. Don't retaliate and make it worse.
You hurt yourself and your team. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:45 PM)djs7685 Wrote: I'm well aware that it's thousands, I've referenced it throughout the thread many times, the million was a goofy mishap....

Sorry.  The other 3 points were meant more for the whole thread than you in particular.  But you did put mil in at least two responses (I won't go back but I think it was you the other time too) which is the reason I pointed it out.

Regardless, I consider what he did a fight.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:52 PM)Penn Wrote: Sorry.  The other 3 points were meant more for the whole thread than you in particular.  But you did put mil in at least two responses (I won't go back but I think it was you the other time too) which is the reason I pointed it out.

Regardless, I consider what he did a fight.

I didn't even realize I had millions in my first post in the thread. Too much contract talk for me, not used to writing thousands I guess LOL that's my bad.

Thanks for pointing it out though. I even read back through my posts and didn't notice that at all.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:19 PM)jj22 Wrote: Couldn't be prouder of Jones. All the cheap shots they took (we'll see if Iloka is back today). It's about time someone stood up to the other team. All the years/times our players have been taken out by the Steelers, and nothing. It's time for us to do the taking out (even though Cooper was just fine) when the going gets tough. Some penalties I don't mind. I'd rather them come out ready to fight, vs ready to sleep like the Tampa game.

(09-16-2015, 02:44 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Total agreement!!!
I'll third it...

(09-16-2015, 03:11 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: What Jones did after the whistle deserves a fine and if the league says 35k, then it's 35k.you will see no complaints from me about him getting his wallet lit up.

That being said, getting punched in the throat would be enough to set any one of us in here off. So while he should have kept his cool, I can totally understand why he didn't.
Agreed. It has been duly noted that 25k is the standard fare for fighting...so, there was a helmet removal and the shove....so a 10k bonus sounds about right.

As others have stated....I'm tired of our guys getting shoved around, and this higher ground bullshit. Meanwhile....we still take cheapshots. Fight fire with fire....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 04:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's a "the retaliation always gets treated worse" common sense principle doesn't exist anymore.

That's always been the case. You never retaliate like that. Never. You save it for the next play and you drop the guy. 

Hit someone like Iloka hit Cooper. Don't retaliate and make it worse.
You hurt yourself and your team. 

I understand. Good thing Cooper didn't get hurt.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:49 PM)M.W. Wrote: Glad he wasn't suspended, a fine was warranted however.

Simply my thoughts bout this...
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 03:05 PM)djs7685 Wrote: There's a ton of logic if you actually know about the situations instead of making it sound the way you did with your statements.

Ray Rice was caught on video tape, there's no speculation involved with this, he punched a girl and caveman dragged her out of an elevator. That's that, nothing else to see here, he's 100% guilty. Also, what do you mean "career over"?? You do realize he was suspended indefinitely and then reinstated less than 2 months later, right?

"Ben rapes a couple" is a bit much seeing as there is a lot of speculation and baseless claims that get thrown around. I love to call Ben "the rapist" as much as the next Bengals fan, but let's not kid ourselves and honestly believe that he's running around raping girls in bathrooms. There's no evidence, no proof, nothing. All we have to go on is a couple of girls that could just be wanting attention and got mad when Ben turned them down at a bar. Or he could have actually raped them, I don't know and neither do you, but it honestly doesn't seem that likely if you look at things with an objective eye.

I really wish people would stop just making these broad claims all the time on here and think about things before saying them. I know you have to try and strengthen your side of the argument, but it just gets picked apart so easily by anyone willing to take 2 minutes to explain how things actually happened.
[quote pid='63587' dateline='1442426743']
I agree about stop making these board claims all the time.. and take a minute or two to pause and think and explain.. so please take some of your own advice here... you really seem determined to totally exclude that Adam Jones past actions might have had some influence in their decision.. can you with absolute certain say it did not ??? nope... 

[/quote]
Reply/Quote
How much was Cooper fined for taking a jab at his throat?
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:01 PM)Anderson HOF Wrote: [quote pid='63587' dateline='1442426743']
I agree about stop making these board claims all the time.. and take a minute or two to pause and think and explain.. so please take some of your own advice here... you really seem determined to totally exclude that Adam Jones past actions might have had some influence in their decision.. can you with absolute certain say it did not ??? nope... 
[/quote]

If that's all you got out of each of my posts, then this is you having a reading comprehension issue more than anything else.

I'm absolutely willing to discuss any situation and detail and I have done so plenty in this thread and others. Maybe remove your head from your ass before trying a "gotcha!" post next time.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How much was Cooper fined for taking a jab at his throat?

17 Brad Fritz tears and 4 overreactions.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 02:58 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I agree that $35k was too high all things considered.

Suh's history:
$7,500 slammed Delhomme to turf
$5,000 used opponent to gain leverage on FG attempt
$15,000 Slammed Cutler to turf
$20,000 slammed a helmetless Dalton to turf
$165,000 slammed Dietrich-Smith's head into ground and then did a stomp as well (2 game suspension).
$30,000 kicking Schaub in the groin
$100,000 chop block on Vikings Center Sullivan
$31,500 for helmet to helmet on Weeden's chest
$7,875 for throat slash
$70,000 1 game suspension overturned for stepping on Rodgers calf.

almost all of his infractions are considered safety issues, so based on Suh's history as a repeat offender, I see no reason why Adams fine shouldn't be around $10-15k max.

How do you do a helmet-to-helmet hit on a man's chest? Just wondering.

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 09:36 PM)BengalChris Wrote: How do you do a helmet-to-helmet hit on a man's chest? Just wondering.

When you're a Browns QB you always have your chin on your chest?
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:47 PM)djs7685 Wrote: 17 Brad Fritz tears and 4 overreactions.

Not even sure what that means but way to avoid the question  ThumbsUp

Edit: I see now, but still a stupid post by you just to avoid answering a valid question.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 09:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Not even sure what that means but way to avoid the question  ThumbsUp

Edit: I see now, but still a stupid post by you just to avoid answering a valid question.

0 dollars, Brad. $0 is the answer.

I was just assuming you already knew that.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 01:51 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Seems about right.

I agree, luckily he won't be suspended. 
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2015, 07:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How much was Cooper fined for taking a jab at his throat?

What can he be fined for?

Really.  If you can look at it objectively instead of as a Bengal fan, then what can he be fined for?  That looked to me like very poorly executed stiff arm attempts.  Even if you don't fully agree, at minimum an unbiased view can only say it is unclear which it is.  No fine.

Now if you want to use what happened here as a basis to support a view I've had for a long time I am with you.  Stiff arm above the shoulders should be illegal.  Other than the obvious reason demonstrated in that play, it is also a safety concern.  But safety concerns only matter in the NFL when the offense can benefit with the exception of a runner leading with his head in and even then only in certain situations.  Hey, #defensiveplayersafetymatters?

But that isn't what you are talking about, is it?
Reply/Quote
What Jones did was wrong plain, pure, and simple. Having said that I'm happy to see this team showing some fire and passion ! Just keep it between the whistles.
Reply/Quote