Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adieu Accord de Paris
(06-05-2017, 11:21 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You mean that you have to pay to put your kids at school ??

Well, I'm surprised.

Is this for all the schools or just college ? 

College.  K-12 is tax payer funded
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-05-2017, 11:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: College.  K-12 is tax payer funded

College is university right ?

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(06-05-2017, 11:30 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: College is university right ?

Yes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(06-05-2017, 11:24 AM)michaelsean Wrote: College.  K-12 is tax payer funded

(06-05-2017, 11:30 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: College is university right ?

It should be noted that for public colleges/universities, students that attend one of those institutions in the state in which they reside do have a chunk of their tuition that is subsidized by the state's budget. So while they still have to pay, the state pays a portion of it.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-05-2017, 11:13 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't have a problem with a lot of tuitions here.  (Room and board is a different story.)  My daughter's tuition is about $11,000 at Ohio State, and that doesn't seem insane.  I'm also used to paying for Catholic High School which may be a reason it doesn't seem crazy to me.  

OS is a state school, and so the costs are already partially socialized.  Even then, that tuition is out of reach for some Ohians. You are obviously doing well if you can send your children to a private school.
(06-05-2017, 11:21 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: You mean that you have to pay to put your kids at school ??

Well, I'm surprised.

Is this for all the schools or just college ? 
Some, like Michaelsean, can afford to send their children to k-12 private schools. These can be as expensive as college.

College tuition varies greatly in the US. Back in the 60s, we were a little more like Europe. California residents could attend state schools there tuition free. Reagan changed that. City College of NY was also tuition-free for New Yorkers, but not any more.

When I went to college back in the 70s, tuition at state schools in Montana was about 500 dollars as semester.

Now some private universities charge 50,000 a year for tuition. State schools average about 10,000 a year. Year by year, college is becoming out of reach for poorer folks.

Which country do you live in?
(06-05-2017, 12:48 PM)Dill Wrote: Some, like Michaelsean, can afford to send their children to k-12 private schools. These can be as expensive as college.

Just wanted to add that Catholic schools are partially subsidized by the individual dioceses too.  There's all kinds of aid you can get too.

It's a LOT like college.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-03-2017, 09:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is how you feel.  Then perhaps the Nations of your Continent should raise their own military to adequately protect them from the evil forces around the globe, whist the rest of you contemplate how to save the planet from industry?

Yes, they should.
(06-03-2017, 09:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If that is how you feel.  Then perhaps the Nations of your Continent should raise their own military to adequately protect them from the evil forces around the globe, whist the rest of you contemplate how to save the planet from industry?

But what would Israel do?
(06-05-2017, 04:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: But what would Israel do?

As soon as elitist Israelis start telling us how we are doing everything wrong they will be up on the chopping block. Wink  But seriously, I'm fine with dropping Israel as well just to make liberals say something else. OK that wasn't very serious either. I'm fine with re-evaluatiing everything.

(06-05-2017, 04:28 PM)michaelsean Wrote: As soon as elitist Israelis start telling us how we are doing everything wrong they will be up on the chopping block. Wink  But seriously, I'm fine with dropping Israel as well just to make liberals say something else.  OK that wasn't very serious either.  I'm fine with re-evaluatiing everything.

ThumbsUp

But my point, being slightly facetious, was would Israel join the countries over there or still ask America for billions?

I'm for pulling away from policing the world, but this incredibly strong isolationist movement from Trump and his supporters is frighteningly odd.
(06-05-2017, 12:48 PM)Dill Wrote: Which country do you live in?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Italy Tongue, but then again he could be in a country which borders it or could have moved to the UK.  
(06-05-2017, 04:33 PM)GMDino Wrote: ThumbsUp

But my point, being slightly facetious, was would Israel join the countries over there or still ask America for billions?

I'm for pulling away from policing the world, but this incredibly strong isolationist movement from Trump and his supporters is frighteningly odd.

I've been becoming more isolationist over the years.  I can't even say it's an intelligent position, but I'm tired of our current one.

(06-05-2017, 04:40 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Italy Tongue, but then again he could be in a country which borders it or could have moved to the UK.  

He's French

(06-05-2017, 04:40 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've been becoming more isolationist over the years.  I can't even say it's an intelligent position, but I'm tired of our current one.

I get that. I lean more non-interventionist than isolationist. With the way the world is now it would be very difficult to sustain isolationism, I think. Really, the only isolationist country that comes to mind anymore is the DPRK. I don't mind us being a leader on the global stage, working with countries for the betterment of all on issues that cross borders. I do have an issue with our meddling in affairs within other countries.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Yep, I am french.

We don't pay school ( public schools ), you can go to private ones and we don't pay for healthcare too.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(06-05-2017, 04:40 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Italy Tongue, but then again he could be in a country which borders it or could have moved to the UK.  

Arturo Bandini is a character from John Fante's book and even if fictionnal, he's coming from Boulder, Colorado :) 

I am french.

(06-05-2017, 04:41 PM)michaelsean Wrote: He's French

Cool

(06-05-2017, 04:54 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Arturo Bandini is a character from John Fante's book and even if fictionnal, he's coming from Boulder, Colorado :) 

I am french.

Had no idea. Just learnt that it's a book by an Italian American author which is semi autobiographical.
(06-05-2017, 04:53 PM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Yep, I am french.

We don't pay school ( public schools ), you can go to private ones and we don't pay for healthcare too.

Fantastic. Paris is my favorite city, though I haven't been there for 20 years.
(06-05-2017, 06:32 PM)Dill Wrote: Fantastic. Paris is my favorite city, though I haven't been there for 20 years.

I live very far from Paris :) 

I'm on the south near the Riviera.

Here : 

[Image: bandol_vue.gif]