Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjustments (Or Lack There Of)
To me...where the Bengals coaches almost ALWAYS FAIL are in the adjustments area. How many times do we see a team come out and score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and the Bengals end up punting.

During the game, Tony Romo said that with a new OC you're usually good for a game or two just because there is no tape for teams to gameplan against.

Well the Packers shut our offense down in the 2nd half. So either Lazor totally changed his gameplan...or the Packers reacted to what they saw in the 1st half on both sides of the ball.

When you get to the playoffs or big primetime games, generally teams have equal personnel to us...so strategy comes into play more. We generally always get out-adjusted by the other team.

Thoughts?

The 2nd area where I think our coaches fail is developing young players...and I don't necessarily mean in games. I mean in practice too.
Reply/Quote
This has been a problem since Mike Brown took over. Marvin Lewis must've taken his cue from Brown. Lewis has said that halftime adjustments aren't a real thing, they're just created by the media. So our head coach does not change his plan or have the coordinators change their plan because he doesn't believe in it. Lewis teams are also well known for playing conservatively with any lead. Our coaching staff is an excellent example of fail.

It's hard to develop players when you continuously employ bad position coaches and don't give the players snaps to improve.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sure seemed like Romo questioned the plays being run. Don't know if Andy can audible. But Romo would say.. don't run the run against that formation... and we would run it.
Reply/Quote
Its simply a losing culture that has this franchise by the balls... Even when we were winning in recent years it did not matter.. They have always found a way to lose horribly when everyone is watching..
It almost seems it cannot be fixed, now, in the past or maybe even ever.. geez
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:45 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: This has been a problem since Mike Brown took over. Marvin Lewis must've taken his cue from Brown. Lewis has said that halftime adjustments aren't a real thing, they're just created by the media. So our head coach does not change his plan or have the coordinators change their plan because he doesn't believe in it. Lewis teams are also well known for playing conservatively with any lead. Our coaching staff is an excellent example of fail.

It's hard to develop players when you continuously employ bad position coaches and don't give the players snaps to improve.

I think the thing that takes my hope away is even when we had really solid coordinators like Jackson, Gruden, and Zimmer...our adjustments were lacking.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:59 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the thing that takes my hope away is even when we had really solid coordinators like Jackson, Gruden, and Zimmer...our adjustments were lacking.

Agreed. That's also why I know it's on Lewis. No matter the coordinators, he's been constant. I find it hard to believe that it's all just bad luck or that every coordinator we have just can't/doesn't/won't make adjustments.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:40 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: To me...where the Bengals coaches almost ALWAYS FAIL are in the adjustments area. How many times do we see a team come out and score a TD on the 1st drive of the 2nd half and the Bengals end up punting.

During the game, Tony Romo said that with a new OC you're usually good for a game or two just because there is no tape for teams to gameplan against.

Well the Packers shut our offense down in the 2nd half. So either Lazor totally changed his gameplan...or the Packers reacted to what they saw in the 1st half on both sides of the ball.

When you get to the playoffs or big primetime games, generally teams have equal personnel to us...so strategy comes into play more. We generally always get out-adjusted by the other team.

Thoughts?

The 2nd area where I think our coaches fail is developing young players...and I don't necessarily mean in games. I mean in practice too.

My thoughts are you are 100% correct.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Sure seemed like Romo questioned the plays being run.  Don't know if Andy can audible.  But Romo would say.. don't run the run against that formation... and we would run it.

That's the thing with playcalling...when it works...it looks like a great play. When it gets stopped, it looks like another play should have been called.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 09:48 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Sure seemed like Romo questioned the plays being run.  Don't know if Andy can audible.  But Romo would say.. don't run the run against that formation... and we would run it.

Andy ultimately can if he wants to. At the time of the snap, the OC isn't the one out on the field.
The second half of the GB game felt like Marvin injected his influence to play conservative/stupid.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Marvin thinks halftime adjustments are overrated. Thus why we've never seen any in his 15 years.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
How many times have we watched Marv ball go well in first half and then get shut down in second. Why is anyone surprised?

3 points in the second half is a disgrace .

By the way - did anyone else besides me, the Packers defense and everyone at Lambeau know that the first play in OT would be a run for a loss.

Also- how inept to have to call a time out on the first play in overtime.

There is no hope for this team until Marv is gone, Alexander is gone and an entirely new culture is implemented.

Excellence is not expected. mediocrity is the norm and perfectly OK.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:21 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Also- how inept to have to call a time out on the first play in overtime.

Yea.  I think we called one after a review also.  Not a good day on that front.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:21 AM)bengals67 Wrote: How many times have we watched Marv ball go well in first half and then get shut down in second. Why is anyone surprised?

3 points in the second half is a disgrace .

By the way - did anyone else besides me, the Packers defense and everyone at Lambeau know that the first play in OT would be a run for a loss.

Also- how inept to have to call a time out on the first play in overtime.

There is no hope for this team until Marv is gone, Alexander is gone and an entirely new culture is implemented.

Excellence is not expected. mediocrity is the norm and perfectly OK.

See I agree that he's a mediocre coach. I just worry that the next staff won't be able to handle the scouting and personnel side of the house.

We're atleast partially rebuilding and when you don't use free agency to fill many holes...you have to nail drafts.
Reply/Quote
Halftime adjustments is not a real thing...Adjustments are made on every single drive of the game

Before someone says I'm wrong. Think it through if both teams made "Adjudtments" at half time would any of them work because both teams now have "adjusted"
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:27 AM)Synric Wrote: Halftime adjustments is not a real thing...Adjustments are made on every single drive of the game

Before someone says I'm wrong. Think it through if both teams made "Adjudtments" at half time would any of them work because both teams now have "adjusted"

While true, you still get 30 minutes at the half to go over what has worked and what has not....and a more time to formulate a better gameplan if yours is not working, and to tweak what is to keep the opponent from catching on.  

I mean, we always diagrammed as much as possible at the half, broke off with coordinators and addressed weaknesses.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Andy was playing a basic "captain checkdown" approach for most of the first half. It semi-worked and resulted in two TD's. But the packers adjusted in the second half, shut that down, and we failed to adjust (as always).

Some things never change
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: While true, you still get 30 minutes at the half to go over what has worked and what has not....and a more time to formulate a better gameplan if yours is not working, and to tweak what is to keep the opponent from catching on.  

I mean, we always diagrammed as much as possible at the half, broke off with coordinators and addressed weaknesses.

Agreed but they also do all of that after every drive not just halftime. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:32 AM)Wyche Wrote: While true, you still get 30 minutes at the half to go over what has worked and what has not....

30 minutes?  Halftime is only 15 minutes.
Reply/Quote
2nd half meltdown are the rule with ML led teams. I forget the exact amount but prior to the 2015 Steeler flop we had scored a grand total of like 16 2nd half points or something stupid like that, in 6 games combined.

And it's not just the playoffs. There's exceptions of course but by and large anytime we're playing a "good team" our 2nd half production is nil !!!

In other words we get horribly outcoached.
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2017, 11:27 AM)Synric Wrote: Halftime adjustments is not a real thing...Adjustments are made on every single drive of the game

I hear what you're saying and I've made the same argument.

Point is Marvin and this coaching staff suck at any and all adjustments. The vast majority of the time when we're playing the better teams we get outcoached.
Reply/Quote