Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After next year, Atkins/Dunlap/MJ are all free agents
The Bengals can start to plan around this and mitigate it now...so we don't have what happened to the offensive line happen on the defensive line.

What I would do is waive MJ after the season and use his money to sign Norwell. Then sign a Center like Jensen so that we don't have to use most of our draft picks on the offensive line. ie Use free agency to improve the offensive line. Plus, you know these guys can be good players at the NFL level.

Then, that frees us up to take a pass rusher like Chubb. Or a DT like Wilkens. Or a LB like Smith in the 1st Round of the draft.

Having to reach for offensive lineman could really hurt other parts of the team that are going to be having issues.

Atkins will be tough to keep. The franchise tag is $15+ million a year.

Not managing this situation correctly and making panic draft moves on the offensive line is how we could slip back into a 3 win team.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals can start to plan around this and mitigate it now...so we don't have what happened to the offensive line happen on the defensive line.

What I would do is waive MJ after the season and use his money to sign Norwell. Then sign a Center like Jensen so that we don't have to use most of our draft picks on the offensive line. ie Use free agency to improve the offensive line. Plus, you know these guys can be good players at the NFL level.

Then, that frees us up to take a pass rusher like Chubb. Or a DT like Wilkens. Or a LB like Smith in the 1st Round of the draft.

Having to reach for offensive lineman could really hurt other parts of the team that are going to be having issues.

Atkins will be tough to keep. The franchise tag is $15+ million a year.

Not managing this situation correctly and making panic draft moves on the offensive line is how we could slip back into a 3 win team.

I would save that money on Jensen for Geno and Carlos.

Draft Price or one of the other top Centers after Chubb, Wilkens or Roquan.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will probably let all three walk because we have a clown running the franchise
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would save that money on Jensen for Geno and Carlos.

Draft Price or one of the other top Centers after Chubb, Wilkens or Roquan.

The Bengals could easily get enough for all of Atkins, Dunlap, Jensen, and one more key FA if they cut MJ, Adam Jones, and LaFell.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:46 PM)Trademark Wrote: The Bengals will probably let all three walk because we have a clown running the franchise

"We're alright on the defensive line" - Bengals GM Merv Lawis

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals could easily get enough for all of Atkins, Dunlap, Jensen, and one more key FA if they cut MJ, Adam Jones, and LaFell.

All for that. Still think Lafell is a nice backup but should not be a starter.

Can i get some more info on Jensen?

I know he is pretty solid but man there are some good looking Center prospects this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The Bengals could easily get enough for all of Atkins, Dunlap, Jensen, and one more key FA if they cut MJ, Adam Jones, and LaFell.

I think that's the key.

But then again they could have done the same thing and afforded Zeitler and they had the cap space for Whitworth.

The irony is they essentially have the same situation coming up on the defensive line as the did with the offensive line.

Dennard is a free agent too.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for that. Still think Lafell is a nice backup but should not be a starter.

I know he is pretty solid but man there are some good looking Center prospects this year.

He'll be 27 next year. Grades out as Average on PFF. He's currently ranked as the #8 Center.

He has long red hair which should take his value down in free agency.  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All for that. Still think Lafell is a nice backup but should not be a starter.

Jensen was a relative unknown to me too.
Prior to this year, he was a backup guard with Baltimore.
He was a 6th round comp pick by Baltimore in 2013.
This year, he's taken over as the starting center when Zuttah was out and Urshel retired.
He has been pretty good this year (74.7 grade on PFF, #8 ranked C).
Kinda came out of nowhere.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Letting MJ walk shouldnt be up for debate, he's declined alot.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:26 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Letting MJ walk shouldnt be up for debate, he's declined alot.

Was he ever good? He had 11.5 sacks 1 season. After that 6 was his most sacks. His numbers this year are right inline with his averages.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:26 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Letting MJ walk shouldnt be up for debate, he's declined alot.

There will be some people on here (not me) that will try to justify keeping him around because he's had some success this year rushing from the inside.
But personally, I'd rather see another true pass-rushing DT be drafted since MJ is going to be 31 next year, entering the last year of his contract, and will count $6.125 mill toward the cap next year if kept.
If cut, MJ would free up $5 mill in cap space.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd keep MJ but use him sparingly. He's not bad, he's just overused.

To the OP, I foresee Ross getting some snaps at end as we probably aren't resigning all three, and Ross needs something to do when he's not playing corner.
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:45 PM)Benton Wrote: I'd keep MJ but use him sparingly. He's not bad, he's just overused.

To the OP, I foresee Ross getting some snaps at end as we probably aren't resigning all three, and Ross needs something to do when he's not playing corner.

But is that limited use and production worth $6.125 mill in cap space?
If anything, why not consider restructuring his contract so that he's cheaper then? (Yes, I know the Bengals don't ever do this, but a smart FO would)
I'd be OK with MJ staying here and used in a limited capacity if he only counted no more than $3 mill toward the cap.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He'll be 27 next year. Grades out as Average on PFF. He's currently ranked as the #8 Center.

He has long red hair which should take his value down in free agency.  Hilarious

I would think he would come at least somewhat cheaper than a top 10 center because he's only had one year of solid performance.
You don't (or shouldn't) give someone a ton of money just because they performed really well in a contract year. You need to have multiple highly productive seasons to warrant top 10 money.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He'll be 27 next year. Grades out as Average on PFF. He's currently ranked as the #8 Center.

(12-13-2017, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Jensen was a relative unknown to me too.
Prior to this year, he was a backup guard with Baltimore.
He was a 6th round comp pick by Baltimore in 2013.
This year, he's taken over as the starting center when Zuttah was out and Urshel retired.
He has been pretty good this year (74.7 grade on PFF, #8 ranked C).
Kinda came out of nowhere.

Oh yeah, this is the guy who had that really bad sleep apnea...

Still, seems like a big time upgrade over Blodine. All for Jensen in FA, just really like the top Centers in this draft.
Reply/Quote
Why not see what Dunlap can get in trade? New England routinely trades players they think they can’t resign one year before they lose them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 04:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Oh yeah, this is the guy who had that really bad sleep apnea...

Still, seems like a big time upgrade over Blodine. All for Jensen in FA, just really like the top Centers in this draft.

I think it will be cheaper to pick up a good center in FA vs a guard. Plus, this draft looks strongest in guard prospects compared to center and OT.

FA center prospects that are better than Bodine:
Richburg (NYG)
Jensen (BAL)
Spencer Long (WAS)
Sullivan (LAR)
Linsley (GB)
Evan Smith (TB)

Only two (Smith and Sullivan) are over the age of 27.

I can't imagine all of these guys getting over $7+ mill a year. I would bet at least one could be had for $5 mill a year or less.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Geno's raise over what he's making now won't put to much of a hit on the cap.

Dunlap's raise which will be a little bigger than Geno's it will likely come out of MJ's money when he walks.

Dennard's contract will come out of Pacman's money when Jones walks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-13-2017, 03:41 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There will be some people on here (not me) that will try to justify keeping him around because he's had some success this year rushing from the inside.
But personally, I'd rather see another true pass-rushing DT be drafted since MJ is going to be 31 next year, entering the last year of his contract, and will count $6.125 mill toward the cap next year if kept.
If cut, MJ would free up $5 mill in cap space.

I agree 100%.  I will say this, the guy absolutely has produced from the inside, 2 sacks Sunday.  So why in the hell don't they just move him there and let the younger cats play out there at DE?  So much stupid.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote