Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Aggressive Coaching Wins Super Bowl
I wonder if Marvin learned any lessons from watching Doug Petersen's game plan? Highly doubt it.

The difference in the ball game came down to coaching and for once Belicheat was outcoached. There were various situations in the ball game where Doug Petersen was not afraid to go against the norm.

Coaching matters. Wish we had one (coach) with the stones to be aggressive all game long.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I wonder if Marvin learned any lessons from watching Doug Petersen's game plan?  Highly doubt it.

The difference in the ball game came down to coaching and for once Belicheat was outcoached.  There were various situations in the ball game where Doug Petersen was not afraid to go against the norm.

Coaching matters.  Wish we had one (coach) with the stones to be aggressive all game long.

Said the same thing on here last night, and got flamed for it.  

Also, Belichick really effed up benching Malcolm Butler it seems.  

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
In this particular game neither defense won much of anything other than the participation trophies and that's usually the case in shootouts.. Aggressiveness can go either way. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:26 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I wonder if Marvin learned any lessons from watching Doug Petersen's game plan?  Highly doubt it.

The difference in the ball game came down to coaching and for once Belicheat was outcoached.  There were various situations in the ball game where Doug Petersen was not afraid to go against the norm.

Coaching matters.  Wish we had one (coach) with the stones to be aggressive all game long.

Although I agree completely with what you're saying I'm not sure I'd say the hoodie got out coached. And no Marvin hasn't grown a set of balls in 15 years of coaching he's not gonna suddenly get them now.

Coaching 1000% matters !

(02-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Said the same thing on here last night, and got flamed for it.  

About half way thru 1st quarter I was thinking how great it would be to have a HC that had a set of balls and understood the game in 2018 and knows you can't sit on a lead in the 1st qtr. now.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Although I agree completely with what you're saying I'm not sure I'd say the hoodie got out coached. And no Marvin hasn't grown a set of balls in 15 years of coaching he's not gonna suddenly get them now.

Coaching 1000% matters !

About half way thru 1st quarter I was thinking how great it would be to have a HC that had a set of balls and understood the game in 2018 and knows you can't sit on a lead in the 1st qtr. now.

Yeah, we're doomed with Merv.  It's a great feeling ain't it? Whatever

Reply/Quote
I, for one, am looking forward to another two years of Marvin throwing away possessions and time at the end of halves and games.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I, for one, am looking forward to another two years of Marvin throwing away possessions and time at the end of halves and games.

Me too, can't wait. Mellow

Reply/Quote
Yep. Precisely why we'll never win anything significant with a chicken shit like Marv.
Reply/Quote
Coaching was definitely a big factor in outcome and no Marvin is not going to suddenly grow a pair unfortunately.

Nor will he ever understand clock management.

But savvy QB play contributed as well,

Foles showed he had a huge pair dangling too.

Believe it took both to beat Brady and some great pressure by D when it counted.

Great game !

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I, for one, am looking forward to another two years of Marvin throwing away possessions and time at the end of halves and games.

Marvin is a dud, but the Eagles have also cycled through multiple GMs and HCs since we started the Mike/Marvin era.  They also traded the farm to get Carson Wentz, and have done other sort of aggressive things that go well beyond the on-the-field calls.  Marvin is complicit in this, don't get me wrong, but he's just another symptom of the Mike Brown school of changing nearly nothing.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:20 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Coaching was definitely a big factor in outcome and no Marvin is not going to suddenly grow a pair unfortunately.

Nor will he ever understand clock management.

But savvy QB play contributed as well,

Foles showed he had a huge pair dangling too.

Believe it took both to beat Brady and some great pressure by D when it counted.

Great game !

Foles was also put into a position to succeed when his coach noticed his proficiency in the RPO, and then featured it in his offense.  You know, adapting.  Something that is "journalistic jargon" in Cincinnati apparently. Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:42 AM)grampahol Wrote: In this particular game neither defense won much of anything other than the participation trophies and that's usually the case in shootouts.. Aggressiveness can go either way. 

I was quite shocked at how wide open the NE WRs were for most of the game. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 10:41 AM)Wyche Wrote: Said the same thing on here last night, and got flamed for it.  

I don't know why you would get flamed for that? Most of us already know Merv would have went and tried to set on that halftime lead, thinking the prevent D would be the way to stop Brady in the second half....  I know it crossed my mind..
Reply/Quote
*Pederson

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 12:31 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't know why you would get flamed for that? Most of us already know Merv would have went and tried to set on that halftime lead, thinking the prevent D would be the way to stop Brady in the second half....  I know it crossed my mind..

I got it for agreeing with Pederson's decision to go for 2.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: I got it for agreeing with Pederson's decision to go for 2.

Ahh, gotcha. I have seen that happen a few times this last season. I don't know if its the right thing to do after missing an extra point or not? My understanding is both kickers hated that painted logo on the field right where they attempt the extra point. Saw a couple of other players slip on them too.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Ahh, gotcha. I have seen that happen a few times this last season. I don't know if its the right thing to do after missing an extra point or not? My understanding is both kickers hated that painted logo on the field right where they attempt the extra point. Saw a couple of other players slip on them too.

Yeah....really, IMO....there is no wrong call in that particular situation. You have a two score lead....your kicker has missed 3 XPs during the regular season and one in this game....you could go either way.  Thing is, Pederson is aggressive, so keep it aggressive.  I would have made that call myself.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 11:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: Foles was also put into a position to succeed when his coach noticed his proficiency in the RPO, and then featured it in his offense.  You know, adapting.  Something that is "journalistic jargon" in Cincinnati apparently. Mellow

This is spot on just like the observation of the OP.

If Marv had been coaching Eagles last night they would have sat on their lead and lost the game.
Reply/Quote
No doubt Pederson was a joy to watch last night, but I think the game came down to the fact that even though Gronk was playing, I think he is still concussed. He dropped more balls in the 1st half than I think I have ever seen him drop. He just seemed off. Brady did as well....
Reply/Quote

Again, it's not about what Lewis learned or didn't learn.  It's about what, if anything MB learned.  MB hired him back and after 15 years he certainly can't be looking for strategic changes in 'game managing' for crying out loud!!

(I know I'm preaching to the choir WW)

I will say this, one HC/Owner I will NEVER second guess is BB/RK.  I believe he had a good reason to sit Butler.  No, as of this post I don't know whether it was disciplinary, injury or strategically, but I would never second guess them.

But, if it was disciplinary, it just confirms that BB would not win a SB with Pittsburgh right away, because he wouldn't put up with the disciplinary problem prima donnas on that team! 
Reply/Quote