Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Jones given the boot...
He's a little out there, but this is a pretty sweeping, coordinated ban.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-removes-most-u-conspiracy-theorists-podcasts-itunes-070519614--finance.html

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
(08-07-2018, 02:12 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: He's a little out there, but this is a pretty sweeping, coordinated ban.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apple-removes-most-u-conspiracy-theorists-podcasts-itunes-070519614--finance.html

I guess a privately owned company can decide if they want that on their platform?

Maybe he can create his own!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I would listen to Jones at times just hear some of his conspiracy stuff for fun basically. Never took anything from him serious. But then when I found out he said that the Sandy Hook school shooting was faked, I was done with him few years ago. I can handle hearing about there could be more to 9/11 than we might realize, whatever, but that just turned me off completely from him.

Anyhoots, I am not too sure how I feel about this though, as who knows what it can lead to.

But I will also say that a platform like YouTube is in a way basically like a book publisher. They and the numerous content creators can make or lose money because of someone with a large audience like Jones had. With YouTube their revenue is generated by advertisers, and advertisers did not like Jones and his agendas he pushed. From a business perspective if they are losing money from advertisers, then they have every right to ban him and his channels.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-07-2018, 02:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: I guess a privately owned company can decide if they want that on their platform?

Maybe he can create his own!
IMO, you are correct !
:)

(08-07-2018, 02:32 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I would listen to Jones at times just hear some of his conspiracy stuff for fun basically. Never took anything from him serious. But then when I found out he said that the Sandy Hook school shooting was faked, I was done with him few years ago. I can handle hearing about there could be more to 9/11 than we might realize, whatever, but that just turned me off completely from him.

Anyhoots, I am not too sure how I feel about this though, as who knows what it can lead to.

But I will also say that a platform like YouTube is in a way basically like a book publisher. They and the numerous content creators can make or lose money because of someone with a large audience like Jones had. With YouTube their revenue is generated by advertisers, and advertisers did not like Jones and his agendas he pushed. From a business perspective if they are losing money from advertisers, then they have every right to ban him and his channels.

Absolutely correct. This is the market correcting this issue and is not an infringement on free speech like some people will say. What I find concerning with things like this is that it will eventually give rise to platforms (more than already exist) where people that follow folks like Jones will essentially cordon themselves off from the overall society and cause more bubbles within society, exacerbating the already existing problems we have where we don't tend to interact with those different than us.

I have to watch myself, at times, with this. Because so much of what I do is political, I can have difficulty separating out people from their politics. The tribalism effect is a real thing, even when you make an effort to branch out. It makes it easy to see those outside of the group as others and to dehumanize them in a way. Censorship efforts like this can make us travel further down this rabbit hole.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Alex Jones never really existed
Anyone who likes Alex Jones enough can just work really hard and make his own Youtube-style site that is just as big and popular as Youtube and then let Alex Jones on it.
Crisis actor.
I’ve never followed Jones.

However he did expose the Cremation of Care (google it) ritual at the Bohemian Grove where (it is alleged) they actually worship Moloch. Although, I’ve suspected for awhile that he wouldn’t have gone unnoticed, therefore it’s easy to believe, given what I already know about the conspiracy world, that (Jones) is a shill. I can’t prove it & don’t really care to delve into it or why he’s been removed. Still, it’s kinda suspicious that all these outlets removed him at once.

So yeah, these private companies have a right to filter their content. & yeah he was/is fake news (for the most part). But it’s concerning because of the fake news narrative & also that it appears (some??) politicians would love nothing more than to remove the news media altogether (as a recent article making its rounds tells us). I don’t know. Whether it’s fake news or real news, it’s news & deserves a voice. Politicians are notorious liars so it boggles my mind on how anyone blindly believes what they collectively tell us. Perhaps the philosophy below summarizes they way we should approach good news, bad news, fake news, real news or Gary Gnus. We appear to be treading on thin ice, at least in my humble opinion.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
I was under the impression it was only certain videos and pages being removed, and all had prior warning about terms of service violations.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-07-2018, 11:05 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: I’ve never followed Jones.

However he did expose the Cremation of Care (google it) ritual at the Bohemian Grove where (it is alleged) they actually worship Moloch. Although, I’ve suspected for awhile that he wouldn’t have gone unnoticed, therefore it’s easy to believe, given what I already know about the conspiracy world, that (Jones) is a shill. I can’t prove it & don’t really care to delve into it or why he’s been removed.  Still, it’s kinda suspicious that all these outlets removed him at once.

So yeah, these private companies have a right to filter their content. & yeah he was/is fake news (for the most part). But it’s concerning because of the fake news narrative & also that it appears (some??) politicians would love nothing more than to remove the news media altogether (as a recent article making its rounds tells us). I don’t know. Whether it’s fake news or real news, it’s news & deserves a voice. Politicians are notorious liars so it boggles my mind on how anyone blindly believes what they collectively tell us. Perhaps the philosophy below summarizes they way we should approach good news, bad news, fake news, real news or Gary Gnus. We appear to be treading on thin ice, at least in my humble opinion.

I am one of the biggest cynics when it comes to conspiracy theories, but I always try to acknowledge that I know about The Gulf of Tonkin, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and what the CIA did throughout South/Central American since the 1950's.

So I don't just dismiss every conspiracy.  But when you really examin them most fall apart.