Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Leatherwood
Rumored to be on the trade block, or possibly even cut. He might be worth a late round pick to see if a change of scenery can salvage him.

Former 1st round pick, from a school that usually produces pretty good OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I think that he would be interesting to take a look at if he were cut. If you trade for him, you inherit that 1st round contract with him. Gotta be a damn good reason that Vegas is looking to move him after just one season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that he would be interesting to take a look at if he were cut. If you trade for him, you inherit that 1st round contract with him. Gotta be a damn good reason that Vegas is looking to move him after just one season.

It appears to mostly just be really terrible play. He’s apparently practicing with the 3’s for LV. I haven’t seen anything about him clashing with coaches, or injuries, like with Teven Jenkins in Chicago.

I just wonder if he’s worth taking a flier on considering how bad our OT depth is. Is he worse than Adeniji or Prince?

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rumored to be on the trade block, or possibly even cut. He might be worth a late round pick to see if a change of scenery can salvage him.

Good at run blocking...horrendous at pass blocking is the word from the Raiders press.  His talents at the NFL level might be better suited to guard.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
I thought he could have made a good RG or RT.
He went higher than I expected he would.
Thought he was more of an early 2nd rounder.

He has high athleticism, arm length, and ideal OT size.

I'm surprised he's potentially on the trade block after just one year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It appears to mostly just be really terrible play. He’s apparently practicing with the 3’s for LV. I haven’t seen anything about him clashing with coaches, or injuries, like with Teven Jenkins in Chicago.

I just wonder if he’s worth taking a flier on considering how bad our OT depth is. Is he worse than Adeniji or Prince?

Is that possible?  Ninja
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
His problems sound a lot like Carmans
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It appears to mostly just be really terrible play. He’s apparently practicing with the 3’s for LV. I haven’t seen anything about him clashing with coaches, or injuries, like with Teven Jenkins in Chicago.

Like I was saying, I wouldn't want to see the team give up a draft pick or take on that 1st round contract, but if he makes it through waivers, he'd definitely be worth taking a look at.  I would be surprised if he made it all the way to 31 on the waiver wire though.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Mike Mayock had some bad drafts... goes to show those Draft Analysts are just as much in the dark as us draftniks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 11:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Like I was saying, I wouldn't want to see the team give up a draft pick or take on that 1st round contract, but if he makes it through waivers, he'd definitely be worth taking a look at.  I would be surprised if he made it all the way to 31 on the waiver wire though.

Leatherwood's contract would be very small. 1.3m in 2022, 1.9m in 2023, 2.6m in 2024, and a 5th year option if it works out. Also he could be cut at anytime with zero dead cap.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:29 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that he would be interesting to take a look at if he were cut.  If you trade for him, you inherit that 1st round contract with him.  Gotta be a damn good reason that Vegas is looking to move him after just one season.

$7.8m of his $14.4m deal was signing bonus.

If you trade for him, you'd inherit a 3yr/~$5.9m contract.

I think I liked him last draft, so it's shocking to see him potentially gone that quickly. I would absolutely take a chance on him if the price is right, though. There's a reason why he was a 1st round talent, and perhaps a chance of scenery would help him.

As for a damn good reason... he was chosen by a head coach and general manager who aren't there anymore, and didn't perform well in 2021. Josh McDaniels will move on from guys who were previous coaches guys. He traded Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler when he went to Denver and torpedoed the team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:06 PM)Synric Wrote: Mike Mayock had some bad drafts... goes to show those Draft Analysts are just as much in the dark as us draftniks.

Mayock botched so many picks, it wasn't even funny.  In '19, they had three 1st round picks and they declined the 5th year option on all of them.  He hit on a couple of late day steals in Crosby and Renfrow, but apart from that he was a complete disaster.  And he was supposed to be the king shit draft guru.
Reply/Quote
Pollack will fix him....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:32 PM)Whatever Wrote: Mayock botched so many picks, it wasn't even funny.  In '19, they had three 1st round picks and they declined the 5th year option on all of them.  He hit on a couple of late day steals in Crosby and Renfrow, but apart from that he was a complete disaster.  And he was supposed to be the king shit draft guru.

What I felt a lot with the Raiders picks while Mayock and Gruden were there was they reached...A LOT.
Their 1st rounders aside from Kolton Miller haven't lived up to their draft status.
Leatherwood played 1104 snaps last season (847 at RG), and he had 14 penalties, 8 sacks, 17 hits, 65 pressures.
Clelin Ferrell hasn't had more than 5 sacks in a season and is now a rotational guy due to Crosby and Ngakoue.
We all know what happened with Ruggs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I felt a lot with the Raiders pick while Mayock and Gruden were there was they reached...A LOT.
Their 1st rounders aside from Kolton Miller haven't lived up to their draft status.
Leatherwood played 1104 snaps last season (847 at RG), and he had 14 penalties, 8 sacks, 17 hits, 65 pressures.
Clelin Ferrell hasn't had more than 5 sacks in a season and is now a rotational guy due to Crosby and Ngakoue.

I believe Kolton Miller was drafted the year before Mayock and Gruden lol. Since then Josh Jacobs has been their best first rounder and he is a running back with continuous shoulder issues. Maxx Crosby was a steal and Hunter Renfrow solid... other than that I can't think of one drafted player that's had an substantial impact for the Raiders. My guy Divine Deablo showed a little last year but thats about it.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:53 PM)Synric Wrote: I believe Kolton Miller was drafted the year before Mayock and Gruden lol. Since then Josh Jacobs has been their best first rounder and he is a running back with continuous shoulder issues. Maxx Crosby was a steal and Hunter Renfrow solid... other than that I can't think of one drafted player that's had an substantial impact for the Raiders. My guy Divine Deablo showed a little last year but thats about it.

Gruden was the HC in 2018, which is the year Kolton Miller was drafted.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 01:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Gruden was the HC in 2018, which is the year Kolton Miller was drafted.

Ah ok I though Mayock and Gruden came in the same year. I believe Tom Cable came in with Gruden.

About the OP: Honestly I'd rather take a shot at Isaiah Wynn over Leatherwood. While injuries have hurt Wynns career he has shown to be a very good lineman.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 10:27 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Rumored to be on the trade block, or possibly even cut. He might be worth a late round pick to see if a change of scenery can salvage him.

Worse Case he should be Better Depth than our Current Depth
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 12:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What I felt a lot with the Raiders picks while Mayock and Gruden were there was they reached...A LOT.

Were they really a reach?

If he was telling us they were first round picks on NFLN leading up to the draft in his prior role we may have felt differently. He risked his whole reputation taking that GM job. We'll never believe him again.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2022, 01:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: Were they really a reach?

If he was telling us they were first round picks on NFLN leading up to the draft in his prior role we may have felt differently. He risked his whole reputation taking that GM job. We'll never believe him again.

Going back to the projected rankings for these drafts, here's where most had Miller, Ferrell, Leatherwood, and Ruggs.

Miller - 31st by Mayock himself (this was the last year before Mayock became GM apparently). Most sites had Miller as a late 1st rounder. Raiders took him 15th. He's turned out to be a good pick, but still somewhat higher than people expected him to go.

Ferrell - mid to late 1st rounder. Raiders took him 4th overall. This was Mayock's first draft as GM.

Ruggs - mid 1st rounder. Raiders took him 12th overall. This wasn't a reach by projection standpoint, but Ruggs was more projected on athletic profile compared to the likes of Jerry Jeudy and CeeDee Lamb.

Leatherwood - early 2nd rounder by many. Raiders took him 17th overall. Billy Price-level reach.

What do all of these guys have in common?
Elite athletic profiles with projected high ceilings.
Definitely still some room for improvement though, risk of being a good starter from Day 1.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote