Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alex Van Pelt
(01-12-2018, 11:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: If ML wasn't still running the show, we wouldn't be getting these coaches....it would be some other combination of assistants.

Everybody loves job security. There isnt much of it in the NFL. 

Marvin isnt the one signing the paychecks.

We got zimmer we got gruden back when marvin supposedly didnt have as much power
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 11:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: If ML wasn't still running the show, we wouldn't be getting these coaches....it would be some other combination of assistants.

(01-13-2018, 12:01 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Rep. This all but proves Marv is respected around the league. Say what we will about him, the coaches want to work with him. I guess will eat some crow...

Yup the only one I wished we had gotten was Fangio. But I think the bears screwed that up and the raiders making the push for Auston forced our hand. We got a great DC, but fangio would have been lights out.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:03 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Austin was on the other side of town, think 40 min away. So yeah, you're onto something here, Shake.

Jon Hayes is from Pittsburgh. So is Austin, Van Pelt, Haslett and a couple others. That's not even counting a couple guys that played or coached for the Steelers.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 07:45 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Marvin Lewis must have been given total power over hiring his staff. Alex Van Pelt is a terrific hire! You can’t argue his success with Aaron Rodgers.

Yup. We now have the guy that worked with the best QB in the league, and the guy that worked with the best O-line in the league. Obviously we don’t have quite the talent they had on their old teams, but you have to give Marvin credit when it’s due. These are exciting hires.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 01:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Jon Hayes is from Pittsburgh. So is Austin, Van Pelt, Haslett and a couple others. That's not even counting a couple guys that played or coached for the Steelers.

That's a lot of Pittsburgh guys on one staff.    Shocked
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 01:48 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's a lot of Pittsburgh guys on one staff.    Shocked

The Steelers have guys "on the inside". No wonder we always lose to them.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I just wonder why good coaches like this are let go in the first place. Most of the time the opposite happens and they get promotions.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 07:53 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: I just wonder why good coaches like this are let go in the first place. Most of the time the opposite happens and they get promotions.

Sometimes coaches move due to reasons besides ability. Sometimes there may be personalities that don't match....or they may simply feel they have gotten as far as they can with their current organization and want to move to open up other opportunities. An owner may let them pursue those opportunities out of respect. Kinda like what we did with Zimmer, I don't think anyone on the Bengals wanted him to leave, or thought his coaching was sub par, they let him move because they respected him and allowed him to pursue other opportunities for himself.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Everybody loves job security. There isnt much of it in the NFL. 

We got zimmer we got gruden back when marvin supposedly didnt have as much power

But Gruden and Zimmer were ML choices to bring in. Remember Zimmer was with I think ATL at the time, but we got him because he had worked with ML in the past. But there were other assistants on the staff that ML was forced to inherit. He only got to choose replacements as those coaches moved on. It seems like now he is getting to assemble an entire staff. I am getting excited to see the difference it makes. The next best thing to a fresh face as a head coach is a fresh group of assistants that bring new ideas and coaching techniques to the players.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:15 PM)Beaker Wrote: But Gruden and Zimmer were ML choices to bring in. Remember Zimmer was with I think ATL at the time, but we got him because he had worked with ML in the past. But there were other assistants on the staff that ML was forced to inherit. He only got to choose replacements as those coaches moved on. It seems like now he is getting to assemble an entire staff. I am getting excited to see the difference it makes. The next best thing to a fresh face as a head coach is a fresh group of assistants that bring new ideas and coaching techniques to the players.

Agree
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 11:14 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yes, but as you yourself once pointed out, Andy doesn't need to be a global arsonist to beat the Browns Smirk

Seems like a good hire, though I know everyone seemed to want Kitna to be hired for the job.

Mind you I'm not in any way knocking the new hire..  I think he'll probably help Andy quite a bit.. 
But there's more than just a little space between Rogers and Hundley talentwise.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:37 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Everybody loves job security. There isnt much of it in the NFL. 

Most of the old board hated when Zimmer and Gruden were hired.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
Awesome. I did want Kitna but this guy has the experience and coached Rodgers for heck sake.

The thing is Rodgers is so talented he would make any QB coach look like gold.

The more impressive thing to me is what Fred showed, how he worked with guys like Trent Edwards and
Josh Freeman and when he wasn't their coach they sucked ballz.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:11 PM)Beaker Wrote: Sometimes coaches move due to reasons besides ability. Sometimes there may be personalities that don't match....or they may simply feel they have gotten as far as they can with their current organization and want to move to open up other opportunities. An owner may let them pursue those opportunities out of respect. Kinda like what we did with Zimmer, I don't think anyone on the Bengals wanted him to leave, or thought his coaching was sub par, they let him move because they respected him and allowed him to pursue other opportunities for himself.

Zimmer left because he got a HC gig. That is completely different than what I'm talking about.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 02:37 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Zimmer left because he got a HC gig. That is completely different than what I'm talking about.

Doesn't change my point that not all assistants are let go because they aren't performing well. Sometimes a lateral move change of scenery with different opportunities for advancement is needed.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Aaron Rodgers supposed to be a free agent right now? (something about GB screwing up their roster towards the end of the season)
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 05:05 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Isn't Aaron Rodgers supposed to be a free agent right now? (something about GB screwing up their roster towards the end of the season)

That ain’t happening.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 05:05 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Isn't  Aaron Rodgers supposed to be a free agent right now? (something about GB screwing up their roster towards the end of the season)

This is great.  If we could sign Rodgers to be Andy's back up then that would allow us to trade McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 05:05 PM)PacMan Fever Wrote: Isn't  Aaron Rodgers supposed to be a free agent right now? (something about GB screwing up their roster towards the end of the season)

The league announced it would not enforce the rule.  It rarely enforces it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2018, 12:01 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Rep. This all but proves Marv is respected around the league. Say what we will about him, the coaches want to work with him. I guess will eat some crow...

They want to work with him or they see him as on the way out and maybe they could be HC candidates?

Remember how Coslet suddenly looked like he was a world beater once he got the job and they let go of Shula?  I can't help but wonder if he wasn't sabotaging the career of Shula for his own gain.
Reply/Quote