Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Male Squads performed better
(09-14-2015, 09:21 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: No I do not, however I don't see how that is truly relevant to the discussion,

You're discussing the benefits of military experience, yet you don't have any military experience.  Furthermore, you don't see how military experience is relevent to the benefits of military experience?  Really?  I thought that would be common sense.

Quote:as I was not the first to suggest it, nor the last to agree with it and I don't see you asking any of them about their military experience. I'm pretty sure you intend to use my answer as an ad hominem attack. So here's your chance to prove me wrong.

I know you're not the first to suggest it.  I was the first to suggest it. As I wrote earlier, I'm torn on military conscription.  Most of the people here (and else where) who complain about everything haven't done a god damn thing for this country.  So I would love for them to get up off their asses and actually do something.  On the other hand, there's no doubt in my military mind Blutarsky is a hot mess without any integrity.  It's difficult enough to lead men who volunteered for the military.  I spent way too much time being a damn baby sitter which detracted from training.  Baby sitting guys like Blutarsky who don't want to be there would make that problem even worse.  So while I would love for guys like Blutarsky to actually do something for this country, I suspect their only contribution in the military would be as a training distraction.

Quote:I would've had no problems going into the military. I was being recruited by both the Navy and the Air Force. I was informed (based on my ASFAB scores) that I would be a great candidate for Intelligence.

A great candidate for Intelligence, yet you don't understand how military experience is relevant when discussing the benefits of military experience.  

Quote:However, I decided to pay my own way thru college instead.

So they service members who joined the military didn't pay their own way through college?
(09-16-2015, 05:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You're discussing the benefits of military experience, yet you don't have any military experience.  Furthermore, you don't see how military experience is relevent to the benefits of military experience?  Really?  I thought that would be common sense.

I know you're not the first to suggest it.  I was the first to suggest it. As I wrote earlier, I'm torn on military conscription.  Most of the people here (and else where) who complain about everything haven't done a god damn thing for this country.  So I would love for them to get up off their asses and actually do something.  On the other hand, there's no doubt in my military mind Blutarsky is a hot mess without any integrity.  It's difficult enough to lead men who volunteered for the military.  I spent way too much time being a damn baby sitter which detracted from training.  Baby sitting guys like Blutarsky who don't want to be there would make that problem even worse.  So while I would love for guys like Blutarsky to actually do something for this country, I suspect their only contribution in the military would be as a training distraction.

A great candidate for Intelligence, yet you don't understand how military experience is relevant when discussing the benefits of military experience.  

So they service members who joined the military didn't pay their own way through college?

I appreciate the time you've spent in service of our country.

Your response went pretty much the way I figured it would. You assumed too much.

My family is littered with retired/currently serving military personnel from all branches and Tinker was less than 30 minutes away from where I grew up at.  They are mainly from the Air Force and Navy, with a couple from the Marine and Army. My step dad was in the Army (Nam). Only one branch that I don't know/have relatives from is the Coast Guard. 

So it is possible that someone doesn't actually have to have been in the military to understand how it can benefit someone? 

As far as training distractions go. I'm sure something could be done that could help get them on the right track. It'd be tough in the beginning, but eventually it'd get figured out. If worse came to worse, there's always a dishonorable discharge. Once a generation has gone thru the training, they would not look very favorably upon someone that got one.

I never said that no one from the military couldn't pay their own way. My line of thinking when I typed it was that I was planning to use it to help me pay for mine, but eventually I got enough in scholarships/grants to where I could make it affordable to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-17-2015, 01:20 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I appreciate the time you've spent in service of our country.

Your response went pretty much the way I figured it would. You assumed too much.

My family is littered with retired/currently serving military personnel from all branches and Tinker was less than 30 minutes away from where I grew up at.  They are mainly from the Air Force and Navy, with a couple from the Marine and Army. My step dad was in the Army (Nam). Only one branch that I don't know/have relatives from is the Coast Guard. 

So it is possible that someone doesn't actually have to have been in the military to understand how it can benefit someone? 

As far as training distractions go. I'm sure something could be done that could help get them on the right track. It'd be tough in the beginning, but eventually it'd get figured out. If worse came to worse, there's always a dishonorable discharge. Once a generation has gone thru the training, they would not look very favorably upon someone that got one.

I never said that no one from the military couldn't pay their own way. My line of thinking when I typed it was that I was planning to use it to help me pay for mine, but eventually I got enough in scholarships/grants to where I could make it affordable to me.

I asked a question.  Do you have military service?  Show me what assumption I made about you.  Would you say your family members with military experience have a greater understanding of the military based upon their experience compared to you?  Would you say your family members with military experience have a greater understanding of the day to day challenges of military conscription?  As a person with military experience, I can tell you the answer to both those questions is an unequivocal, "Yes." 

Sure something can be done, at the expense of training.  Correcting one turd can take more of your time than actually training the good soldiers.  A dishonorable discharge is basically reserved for criminals.  A bad soldier won't get a dishonorable discharge.  Something you would understand with military experience.  A soldier who can't meet the standards would more than likely receive a general discharge.  However, while assigned to the 101st I had 3 soldiers in my weapons squad who should have already been chaptered out of the Army, but were given "rehabilitative transfers" to another brigade rather than follow the Army's own rules to get rid of them. So it was my job to salvage three military careers at the same time.  That's what happens when people start making decisions who don't understand NCO business. :angry:

I like Roto's idea of national service, but not necessarily military service.  Some people just aren't meant for the military which is fine.  Plenty of other ways to serve.