Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things Guitar
(02-02-2016, 03:13 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He does. Back when he was on Late Night on NBC, he often played guitar for skits (I could tell that he was actually strumming chords). 

Adam Sandler obviously plays guitar. So does his wanna-be Jimmy Fallon.

Check out Steven Seagal and his band some time.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:39 PM)McC Wrote: Check out Steven Seagal and his band some time.

Just watched him on youtube. He's pretty damn good, but he sings like he talks. LOL

So weird how he plays with his thumb though. I thought I was weird for using my fingernail (on my forefinger) as a pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm looking for a good delay for less than $100. Anybody have a suggestion?

I'm kinda looking for that clean, shimmery Cure sound.

At that price point I would suggest you consider the playability and comfort level before anything else.  So if you dig the feel of Strat or a Tele or a Les Paul stick with that feel.  And I would also suggest actually playing them if you can.  Just find something that plays somewhat decent and worry about tone later.

A few other things:

1.) I wouldn't probably consider future upgrades to a guitar at that price.  As much as I love hot rod'ing Epiphones and Squires, I see too many people dropping 100-200 on a guitar, on later to drop a 150 in upgrades in it, when they would have been better initially just spending  250-350 on the model level up.

2.) I've hearing awesome things about the "Classic Vibe" series of Squiers.  Not the Vintage Modified.  Supposedly the factory they use for these is really, really good.  I think they're priced around 350 but you may be able to find one used for less.

3.) The Epiphone stuff is outstandind  Can't say enough good things.  But I'm not sure how they quality is towards the bottom of the line.  I do think, just like the Squier, you can get an amazing guitar for around 300 bucks.

4.) If you ever see anything that says "MIJ" take note.  It means Made in Japan.  A lot of the import stuff came from there in the late 70's through late 80's.  Even the MIJ squiers are great.  A lot of good brands:  Aria, Edwards, Tokai, Samick, Electra.  Sometimes you can score this stuff cheap.  It's awesome.

5.) If you really lucky, and you can save a little more, you may come across a Mexican Fender for under 300.  If you can afford it buy it.  Same exact body and neck as the American.  They do good work there too.  The electronics and bridge aren't as good but they're decent. 

6.) Every guitar player will end up preferring a nice playing cheaper guitar than a poor playing expensive guitar.  I see way to many guys value specs over comfort.  I've seen guys drop a lot of coin on a dud of Gibson or Fender, that plays like shit, over buying a Epiphone or Mexican that plays like a dream.  By the time you factor in your amp, affects, string choice, pick choice and your hand-tone (the way you play) not that much comes from the guitar.  And what does is usually the pickups, which can be changed later.  Value comfort above all else.

Honestly Shake, here's what I would do if I were you:

If you have a guitar already, just make do and save up some more money.  I would try to shoot for something in the 300-500 range used.  You will get a lot of guitar for that money.  A whole lot.  Enough so that you could easily gig with it and it may be the only piece you need.  You'll also open up a world of options at this price point.

If you don't have a guitar right now, find the body style you're most familiar with (Strat, Les Paul, Ibanez) and just snag something that's playable as cheap as possible.  You could probably get a Squier or Yamaha Pacifica for around 50 bucks on Craigslist.  Make due with and still do the above.  Save up some cash and just unload the other one for close to what you paid.  (Better to take a $10 loss on a cheap piece than $50 on a model up.)

If you want any help trying to determine what is the best value on any of this let me know. (You decide you want  a Tel can spend 300 or if this 50 dollar piece is better than that, etc.)  I'd be happy to help.
Reply/Quote
Wes, I was talking about a delay pedal, not a guitar. Smirk

These are a couple I'm looking at:

[Image: $_1.JPG]

[Image: modtone_mt_ad.jpg]

Fwiw, I agree with you on guitars though. I've had some really good epiphones and squiers (I had a standard series Jagmaster that was excellent for only $250).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Here, Shake. Something like this is what I mean:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/msg/5418919378.html

I don't know where you're at, but you can find this stuff all day. The Samick stuff is decent and that's not even an entry level model. With that flame top I would guess that used to sell for around 299 to 349. Guy wants 80 but probably would take 50. Snag something like that and save your money. ThumbsUp

Also, if you look at anything on Craigslist bring someone with you or meet in public. There's a lot of WhoDeyWho's out there.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 04:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Wes, I was talking about a delay pedal, not a guitar.  Smirk

These are a couple I'm looking at:

[Image: $_1.JPG]

[Image: modtone_mt_ad.jpg]

Well, I just wasted a whole bunch of time. Facepalm  I read "delay" as "deal".  Whoops. 

Well, everything I just wrote applies to anyone look for a guitar. Hilarious

For delays, I'll have to do my research a little.  I know Joyo pedals can be had for really cheap (About 30) and it's a Chinese clone.  People love them.

We brought in Modtone back in the day when they first started and I was not impressed.  

I personally use this, and I bought it new on Ebay for 119 bucks:

[Image: mxr-carbon-copy-bright.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Looks like he (Robert Smith?) used a DD3 for awhile. Here's one for 75:

https://reverb.com/p/boss-dd-3-digital-delay?_aid=pla&currency=USD&hfid=1634150&gclid=CMfLyonl2coCFYU-aQod9kMNRg

The Ibanez DE7 and the Dan-Echo both got a lot of votes for best delay under 100 on the guitar forum I use. I used to own a Dan-Echo. Real nice warm sound.
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just watched him on youtube. He's pretty damn good, but he sings like he talks. LOL

So weird how he plays with his thumb though. I thought I was weird for using my fingernail (on my forefinger) as a pick.

A lot of guys will use a thumb and a finger or two.  Gives a certain kind of plucky sound which I, for one, like.  Mark Knopfler uses his fingers.  So does Lindsey Buckingham, who I've always considered very underrated.  I think Duane Allman did too.  You get a great slide sound using fingers.

When I played, I used my thumb a lot.  I tended to pound too hard with a pick.  I was never more than a shitty rhythm player so it didn't matter all that much.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 03:53 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Just watched him on youtube. He's pretty damn good, but he sings like he talks. LOL

I don't know why but, for some reason, I was shocked that he played.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 04:17 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Looks like he (Robert Smith?) used a DD3 for awhile.  Here's one for 75:

https://reverb.com/p/boss-dd-3-digital-delay?_aid=pla&currency=USD&hfid=1634150&gclid=CMfLyonl2coCFYU-aQod9kMNRg

The Ibanez DE7 and the Dan-Echo both got a lot of votes for best delay under 100 on the guitar forum I use.  I used to own a Dan-Echo.  Real nice warm sound.

Thanks. I'm always surprised when a rock star uses affordable equipment.

(02-02-2016, 04:23 PM)McC Wrote: I don't know why but, for some reason, I was shocked that he played.

During the video, I was fully expecting him to start kicking ass after his set was over.  LMAO
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 05:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Thanks. I'm always surprised when a rock star uses affordable equipment.

During the video, I was fully expecting him to start kicking ass after his set was over.  LMAO

LOL.  Right.  He could do some serious damage with the ax alone.

Reply/Quote
Here's a pic of my electrics, minus a Frankenstrat that is in pieces right now.

[Image: 0131162114_zps1kes3ack.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I have a Fender Telecaster (left handed) and a Seagull S-Series acoustic (lefty).

Bout to restring my telecaster and get some new pickups on it for my late late Xmas gift lol.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
Ive been thinking about picking mine up and trying to learn again... Has anyone used the Rocksmith game/learning thing is it a good teacher?

(basically i believe its kinda like guitar hero but uses a real guitar and cords)
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 12:17 PM)McC Wrote: Discovered by accident today that Steven Seagal is a guitar player.  Also has a pretty decent singing voice too.  Any other names of people you didn't know were guitar players?

I saw on TV today that Jeff Daniels is a musician.  You might even like his stuff.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 12:40 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I saw on TV today that Jeff Daniels is a musician.  You might even like his stuff.

Cool.  Some nice pickin'.  Hot Tuna-ish.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2016, 04:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Well, I just wasted a whole bunch of time. Facepalm  I read "delay" as "deal".  Whoops. 

Well, everything I just wrote applies to anyone look for a guitar. Hilarious

For delays, I'll have to do my research a little.  I know Joyo pedals can be had for really cheap (About 30) and it's a Chinese clone.  People love them.

We brought in Modtone back in the day when they first started and I was not impressed.  

I personally use this, and I bought it new on Ebay for 119 bucks:

[Image: mxr-carbon-copy-bright.jpg]

Wes,  I have the Joyo Ultimate Drive OCD clone that you mentioned earlier.  Dude,  the pedal is made very well,  no cheap plastic,  and it sounds just like the Fulltone OCD.  Joyo makes a carbon copy of the MXR Carbon Copy.  It is like $30. I cannot say ebough about the Joyo pedals.  I am a tone snob,  so check em out if you have an extra $30 lying around. They make amps now too!
Reply/Quote
Check out Luca Stricagnoli people.

Seriously this guy is a great guitar player.

He does Sweet Child of Mine, Last of the Mohicans, Braveheart, Thunderstruck etc.

Plays multiple guitars at the same time, crazy shit.
Reply/Quote
Bump.

Kelly Valleau is another really great guitarist. Does "Fade to Black" by Metallica and lots of other great songs.

More a classical guitarist.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2016, 02:43 PM)CharvelPlaya Wrote: Wes,  I have the Joyo Ultimate Drive OCD clone that you mentioned earlier.  Dude,  the pedal is made very well,  no cheap plastic,  and it sounds just like the Fulltone OCD.  Joyo makes a carbon copy of the MXR Carbon Copy.  It is like $30. I cannot say ebough about the Joyo pedals.  I am a tone snob,  so check em out if you have an extra $30 lying around. They make amps now too!

I actually own a OCD and Carbon Copy.  I heard about Joyo shortly after I bought them (on a guitar forum) and immediately thought of this scene:

Reply/Quote