Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Things Guitar
I have a new guitar coming tomorrow. A Fender Classic Player 60's Strat. I bought through Sweetwater, who I highly recommend. They even let me choose by serial number with weights, which is bad ass.

Here's what I'm getting:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/classic-player-60s-stratocaster/0141100372.html
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I have a new guitar coming tomorrow.  A Fender Classic Player 60's Strat.  I bought through Sweetwater, who I highly recommend.  They even let me choose by serial number with weights, which is bad ass.

Here's what I'm getting:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/classic-player-60s-stratocaster/0141100372.html

Looks like a beautiful guitar! Let us know how she sounds.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 01:47 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I have a new guitar coming tomorrow.  A Fender Classic Player 60's Strat.  I bought through Sweetwater, who I highly recommend.  They even let me choose by serial number with weights, which is bad ass.

Here's what I'm getting:

very nice choice!!

You know what gets people talking? When they see you playing a guitar like this!

[Image: BWB-7-2.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 05:07 AM)magikod Wrote: Looks like a beautiful guitar! Let us know how she sounds.

I really, really dig it.  It's a great guitar for the money.  It was designed by the Custom Shop, but it's made in Mexico, and it has US pickups (Fender Custom Shop 69's) and upgraded hardware.  It's one step up (I think) from the old Mexi Deluxe's.

Anybody on a budget who doesn't want to go to the price of a Standard or Deluxe or Elite whatever they're calling it nowadays, these are great for the money.  Street price is $799 but you can probably get them brand new for around 700 even by haggling.  And you can find them used in the 600's.

Great feeling neck, really nice pickups, all in all very good player.  Just a basic, vintage looking strat.  I'd say this and the American Specials are both really good buys.  I'll post some pics of it here in a second.  Almost looks more Olympic White than Sonic Blue.
Reply/Quote
Here's the new strat:

[Image: 0309161452_zpsky1kjgk3.jpg]
Reply/Quote
And I'm selling the Epiphone I posted earlier in this thread, because I just snagged this bad boy, an Edwards E-LP-130ALS Slash model. Ducan pickups, nitro finish, CTS pots. MIJ Les Paul.

[Image: IMG_20160322_225626_zpskhux5uzh.jpg]

I've been making moves. Lol. I had not bought a new guitar in close to a decade up until 2015 and I've snagged 5 just this past year. Although, I sold 3 of my old ones to pay for them.

I'm cutting myself off for quite awhile. Tele, Strat, LP and a Wolfgang. What else do I really need?
Reply/Quote
Okay so here's a hidden gem of a musician.

There was a band back in the late 80s that was very pop rock but had a smokin' guitar player in it.

They were called Diving For Pearls.

Anyway I looked up recently who played on that CD and found out the guy's name was Yul Vazquez.

The guy is now an actor and actually played Bob the gay Hispanic thug on Seinfeld.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M5e553a9f7d5f8d3517d9e86a6b9ca...=300&h=300]

He's actually in Ryan Cranston's new flick The Infiltrator.

Here's a clip of him test driving a Dean Gordon guitar.

[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Guitar related incident here...

I met Billy Morris (Quiet Riot/Warrant) a couple weeks ago.
Really nice guy.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 11:48 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Okay so here's a hidden gem of a musician.

There was a band back in the late 80s that was very pop rock but had a smokin' guitar player in it.

They were called Diving For Pearls.

Anyway I looked up recently who played on that CD and found out the guy's name was Yul Vazquez.

The guy is now an actor and actually played Bob the gay Hispanic thug on Seinfeld.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M5e553a9f7d5f8d3517d9e86a6b9ca...=300&h=300]

He's actually in Ryan Cranston's new flick The Infiltrator.

Here's a clip of him test driving a Dean Gordon guitar.

Haha. I remember that character from Seinfeld.  Not too shabby, I'll have to look for some of his guitar stuff.
Reply/Quote
A buddy of mine turned me on to this guy recently. I thought some of you might dig it:

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 04:59 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Guitar related incident here...

I met Billy Morris (Quiet Riot/Warrant) a couple weeks ago.
Really nice guy.

Nice!  Was it a totally random meeting or was it something planned?
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 05:49 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Nice!  Was it a totally random meeting or was it something planned?
His band (Sunset Strip) was playing at Mr Ed's, at Put-In-Bay.
We BS'ed on their break (he socialized with several in the crowd) and we hung out/drank with the band for an hour after closing.
He's a cool, funny guy that really knows how to work the crowd.

Here's a pic of him and my wife.
 [Image: 20160712_013709_zpsxjtznzq0.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2016, 05:44 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: A buddy of mine turned me on to this guy recently.  I thought some of you might dig it:

I can dig it !

That's pretty f'n cool man.

The guy can play, but man that's some showmanship. 

He makes playing in the rain look easy too...  believe me it ain't.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 09:18 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm cutting myself off for quite awhile. Tele, Strat, LP and a Wolfgang.  What else do I really need?

A Dobro?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Any of you guys follow Scotty Bratcher?

This guy is from Ohio and he's damn good.

Reply/Quote
More Scotty Bratcher...

Reply/Quote
Any of you guitar guys play or tried a Hughes & Kettner amp?

I'm looking into the new Grandmeister 40 Deluxe amp with a H&K 2x12 cab.

The amp has a lot of built in effects controlled by a midi pedal and it's all tube with a built in power soak & noise gate.

The other side of things I'm also looking at a Mesa Boogie Mark v 35 watt.

Great sounding versatile amp but I gotta run some effect pedals with it. It's a tad noisy(hiss)which is typical of a tube amp.

I'm really not a Marshall guy, so that's not an option.

I just don't know a whole lot about H & K but want a tube amp with effects that don't require a lot of stand alone pedals.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2016, 02:54 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Any of you guitar guys play or tried a Hughes & Kettner amp?

I'm looking into the new Grandmeister 40 Deluxe amp with a H&K 2x12 cab.

The amp has a lot of built in effects controlled by a midi pedal and it's all tube with a built in power soak & noise gate.

The other side of things I'm also looking at a Mesa Boogie Mark v 35 watt.

Great sounding versatile amp but I gotta run some effect pedals with it. It's a tad noisy(hiss)which is typical of a tube amp.

I'm really not a Marshall guy, so that's not an option.

I just don't know a whole lot about H & K but want a tube amp with effects that don't require a lot of stand alone pedals.

I know that H&K amp was/is pretty popular on the guitar forums.  I seem to recall a lot of different people using them.  I've never personally played one myself.

Just a couple of thoughts:

I would suggest trying one of the Fender Mustang Amps.  Don't be fooled by the price, they're really great.  You can edit all of your patches online and save them to the amp.  Or you can download other users stuff.  You can run a four button switch that will allow to have banks, and turn different effect off and on.

Another option could be just running a modeler or pre-amp with built in effects.  I know a lot of guys go nuts over these:

http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/

They're supposed to sound unbelievable.  You can run them direct into the board or you run them into the affects loop of an amp or into a powered speaker.

Or of course you can just run into a whatever tube amp you dig, rock a tubescreamer, a delay, a phase 90, and a wah. And fwiw, I love a lot of the Mesa stuff too. I used to use a little Boogie Subway Rocket for years. I wish I never sold it.

Whatever you do get post a review.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 01:13 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I know that H&K amp was/is pretty popular on the guitar forums.  I seem to recall a lot of different people using them.  I've never personally played one myself.

Just a couple of thoughts:

I would suggest trying one of the Fender Mustang Amps.  Don't be fooled by the price, they're really great.  You can edit all of your patches online and save them to the amp.  Or you can download other users stuff.  You can run a four button switch that will allow to have banks, and turn different effect off and on.

Another option could be just running a modeler or pre-amp with built in effects.  I know a lot of guys go nuts over these:

http://atomicamps.com/amplifire-pedal/

They're supposed to sound unbelievable.  You can run them direct into the board or you run them into the affects loop of an amp or into a powered speaker.

Or of course you can just run into a whatever tube amp you dig, rock a tubescreamer, a delay, a phase 90, and a wah.  And fwiw, I love a lot of the Mesa stuff too.  I used to use a little Boogie Subway Rocket for years.  I wish I never sold it.  

Whatever you do get post a review.
That's too funny Wes! The Fender Mustang VI is what I currently use.  You're right.  It isn't a bad amp. Actually the cleans are great. The lead sounds I'm getting are decent too.  It's the clarity of the crunch and distorted sounds that I'm a little disappointed in. It gets muddy sometimes. I know it's not the guitar because I use a Fender strat deluxe with noiseless pickups.  I do have to say that this setup is the most noise free one I have ever used.  Even back in the day I used noise gates for cleaner set ups. I really don't care for amps that hiss or hum when not being played. That is why I stuck to solid state over tubes. Tube amps rule in tone though.  Mesa amps are probably the best of those in the market. I love pedals but don't want to lug them around to shows all of the time. If it was just for home use I wouldn't care so much.

I'll keep you posted if I get something and my review on it.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2016, 06:04 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's too funny Wes! The Fender Mustang VI is what I currently use.  You're right.  It isn't a bad amp. Actually the cleans are great. The lead sounds I'm getting are decent too.  It's the clarity of the crunch and distorted sounds that I'm a little disappointed in. It gets muddy sometimes. I know it's not the guitar because I use a Fender strat deluxe with noiseless pickups.  I do have to say that this setup is the most noise free one I have ever used.  Even back in the day I used noise gates for cleaner set ups. I really don't care for amps that hiss or hum when not being played. That is why I stuck to solid state over tubes. Tube amps rule in tone though.  Mesa amps are probably the best of those in the market. I love pedals but don't want to lug them around to shows all of the time. If it was just for home use I wouldn't care so much.

I'll keep you posted if I get something and my review on it.

You know what's great if you're getting a lot of noise out of your Tele or Strat?  A Les Paul.   Big Grin

Yeah, I'm using a Mustang III right now.  It's great for what I do with it (Just jamming out the house).  I've played around a lot over the last year with just a bedroom setup and it's been my favorite.  I used a Blues Jr for a little while, and just ran an overdrive, delay, wah in front it.  (Sounded great but I missed having a lot of different options). I tried a POD HD5000 floor unit. (Did not care for it) I still have an Eleven Rack, with is really cool, but I still use the Mustang the most.

Sansamp makes some really cool Pre-Amps that are great to run with a tube amp, if you want some more versatility.  I think they do a Californian (Fender), a British (Vox) and a High Gain (Marshall) or something.  They're around 200 bucks each.  And there is a Chinese company that makes clones of them for next to nothing.  Great price but I'm not sure I can recommend them stealing Tech 21's work.

Fwiw, the next thing I have my eye guitar wise is that J Mascis Squier Jazzmaster.  They're supposed to be great for the money ($499).  I'm just gonna drop about $100 in upgrades and it should be pretty sweet.  Perfect for someone who doesn't want to spend a ton on an offset.
Reply/Quote