Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All of these “New HC” threads...
Remind me of free agency every year around here. We all come up with our wish lists and discuss the pros and cons of each candidate. But deep down, we know even the fa’s that make the most sense aren’t going to be here for any number of reasons.

There’s lots of good coaching candidates, and talking about them is certainly fun. However, I’m just going to go ahead and assume they’ll hire someone that will make us all shake our heads in disgust.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:35 PM)wcu Wrote: Remind me of free agency every year around here. We all come up with our wish lists and discuss the pros and cons of each candidate. But deep down, we know even the fa’s that make the most sense aren’t going to be here for any number of reasons.

There’s lots of good coaching candidates, and talking about them is certainly fun. However, I’m just going to go ahead and assume they’ll hire someone that will make us all shake our heads in disgust.

Expect Mike Brown to disappoint you and you'll never be disappointed. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Highly likely. And this will be the doom of NFL football in Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:35 PM)wcu Wrote: Remind me of free agency every year around here. We all come up with our wish lists and discuss the pros and cons of each candidate. But deep down, we know even the fa’s that make the most sense aren’t going to be here for any number of reasons.

IDK man...part of me remembers the last time they had an opening and how they interviewed some quality candidates - and hired one of them- from the outside, and thinks they may take the same approach this time as well.

But, then there's the other part that thinks they may just want to promote Guenther or Simmons and call it a day.  

Of course, there's also the possibility that we aren't talking about so much lately...that Marvin actually comes back.  Sick
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK man...part of me remembers the last time they had an opening and how they interviewed some quality candidates - and hired one of them- from the outside, and thinks they may take the same approach this time as well.

But, then there's the other part that thinks they may just want to promote Guenther or Simmons and call it a day.  

Of course, there's also the possibility that we aren't talking about so much lately...that Marvin actually comes back.  Sick

Reading your post got me to thinking.  15 years ago, Mike Brown was a lot younger, and wanted to make a "last push" to field a winning team.  He did the right thing, by holding interviews with quality candidates.  Part of me thinks that Mike is going to retire, and wants to turn the team over to Katie and Co., as a blank slate.

Not only has Marvin not been extended, but none of the current staff are contracted past this season, either.  I just have a little feeling in my gut that tells me that the Bengals are going to be going through more than just a Head Coaching change, but a total change of regime and the way they do things.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 12:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: IDK man...part of me remembers the last time they had an opening and how they interviewed some quality candidates - and hired one of them- from the outside, and thinks they may take the same approach this time as well.

Personally, I think this has a better than Vegas odds of actually happening.  Just my two cents.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Hope we get a quality coach and toss him the keys.

One hand you think they would not coach for MB.

Yet on other hand he MB loyal to his coaches and a paycheck could be available for many years.

So there is a chance.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Truly believe Marvin is done here or MB probably would hire him back.

Think not letting him draft who he wanted and the fans riding his ass at stadium has pushed him over the edge.

Believe he will be HC elsewhere, or on Zimmers staff somewhere if HC job does not get offered.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Reading your post got me to thinking.  15 years ago, Mike Brown was a lot younger, and wanted to make a "last push" to field a winning team.  He did the right thing, by holding interviews with quality candidates.  Part of me thinks that Mike is going to retire, and wants to turn the team over to Katie and Co., as a blank slate.

Not only has Marvin not been extended, but none of the current staff are contracted past this season, either.  I just have a little feeling in my gut that tells me that the Bengals are going to be going through more than just a Head Coaching change, but a total change of regime and the way they do things.

I've had the same thoughts over the course of the season. I'm hoping it's not just wishful thinking on my part.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Yeah...the thing is Coughlin wasn't coming here. He interviewed but they had unresolved issues about the 'Personnel Department' meaning he wanted to be the GM or he wanted a GM.

His friends said he wouldn't take a job that he didn't think he could win at.

It's like free agency. We'll kick the tires. But we'll likely hire someone associated to the franchise in some way...past or present.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah...the thing is Coughlin wasn't coming here. He interviewed but they had unresolved issues about the 'Personnel Department' meaning he wanted to be the GM or he wanted a GM.

His friends said he wouldn't take a job that he didn't think he could win at.

It's like free agency. We'll kick the tires. But we'll likely hire someone associated to the franchise in some way...past or present.

It's simply not true that Coughlin didn't want to come here or didn't think he could win here.

He came in for a second interview, and Coughlin himself said "This is a job that's very attractive to me, without a doubt. I think the team is talented and is a team that can win."

There were reports that Coughlin didn't get the job because he wanted control over player personnel, but Coughlin's agent said, "There was absolutely no conflict" in that regard.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's simply not true that Coughlin didn't want to come here or didn't think he could win here.

He came in for a second interview, and Coughlin himself said "This is a job that's very attractive to me, without a doubt. I think the team is talented and is a team that can win."

There were reports that Coughlin didn't get the job because he wanted control over player personnel, but Coughlin's agent said, "There was absolutely no conflict" in that regard.

Another false narrative shot down.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:34 PM)McC Wrote: Another false narrative shot down.

Does it really shoot it down?  Coughlin said "I think I can win here, but I want/need this" and Mike Brown, an owner/GM who was on his 12th non-winning season in 12 years said "Nope" and Coughlin went off elsewhere to win 2 SBs.  Sure, maybe Coughlin didn't say "I can't win in Cincinnati" but his actions speak for themselves.

12 years into the Mike Brown era it had to be pretty clear to an astute NFL mind that Mike Brown was going to have to cede some control in order to win.
Reply/Quote

If they promote from within I'm really looking forward to seeing how many season tickets aren't renewed. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I remember the candidates being Coughlin, Marv, Denny Green (rip) and Mike Mularky. I heard that Marvin was Katie's choice. Mularky wound up washing out in Buffalo and Green flopped in Arizona. I'd hope Katie is heavily involved in the next search. If we settle for "continuity", then we'll know Mike had a heavy hand in it. I gotta say I'm very disappointed in the rumors that this is all Marv's choice to step down.

Hopefully that's just the FO letting him keep some dignity. He's earned the pink slip.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 01:32 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: It's simply not true that Coughlin didn't want to come here or didn't think he could win here.

At the time, I really thought Coughlin was the best fit for our team and was disappointed we/he went in another direction.  Meanwhile, he goes on to win 2 SBs with the NYG and we have yet to win a playoff game...sigh.

TBH, I was both surprised and encouraged when Marvin got us to 8-8 in his first year as HC.  I still think Coughlin was the better choice, though, no use in wishing for something that didn't happen.  How would we feel if Marvin went to the NYG and won 2 SBs?  We'd be lamenting our choice of Coughlin...lol
Reply/Quote
I fully expect a inside hire or Mike Brown will beg some owner for jay or hue,which I think are all bad decisions. But atleast we wouldn't have stupid Marvin so I'd have a glimmer of hope for maybe a playoff win. I've been listening to Twitter James rapien and lance mccalister,both like Brian kelly,and they convinced me he'd be a optimistic choice,he's won everywhere he's been.i like the idea of a college coach more then coordinator. But I'm thinking maybe shurmer or the pats oc, the pats oc atleast challenged tom Brady, we don't even have anyone challenging dalton.
Reply/Quote
I was told the other day, though I haven't seen the numbers myself, that the Bengals were dead last in ticket sales this year. I think that pretty much guarantees ML is not extended again. If it was bad this year, MB has to know announcing Merv is extended will kill what is left of tickets buyers... I'm betting it is either Simmons, or an outside hire. I don't think anyone else on the current staff would be looked at....
Reply/Quote
I've seen many speculate that this is Mike Brown's last chance to change his legacy, which, as it stands now, is one with zero playoff wins and years of disappointment.

The only other silver lining I can find is that when they hired Marvin Lewis, he was the "hot" defensive coordinator and someone from outside of the organization. Maybe we'll be surprised. Maybe not. I think the team is well aware that they need to hire someone that will invigorate the fans or else that stadium will be even more empty next year than it has been this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:28 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I remember the candidates being Coughlin, Marv, Denny Green (rip) and Mike Mularky. I heard that Marvin was Katie's choice. Mularky wound up washing out in Buffalo and Green flopped in Arizona. I'd hope Katie is heavily involved in the next search. If we settle for "continuity", then we'll know Mike had a heavy hand in it. I gotta say I'm very disappointed in the rumors that this is all Marv's choice to step down.

Hopefully that's just the FO letting him keep some dignity. He's earned the pink slip.

There were reports at the time that they had interest in Green, but nothing ever came of it. 

Lewis, Coughlin, Mularkey, Duffner and Jim Anderson were the guys who had interviews.
Reply/Quote