Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All of these “New HC” threads...
While I don't think the Brown family will ever go all in to win a SB, I don't think they want to be outside the playoffs. I don't think they'll go for more of the same.

Not saying they're gonna up and go both feet into FA or hire a bunch of new scouts. But I think it's very possible they go for a coach with a new approach. It's not like the last one ended up working. And God knows, it was given enough time.

I think the Bengals team that hits the field next September might look very different.

Personally, I will wait to see what happens on the field Game One before I lose my shit. Or at least until TC. Definitely not before this season even ends.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 01:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, although Wyche played here, I don't think he coached here before.

Some will argue that Wyche was previously associated with the team.  However, what many fail to realize that a large part of being selected as HC of a pro team isn't necessarily all about Xs and Os of the game, as much as relationships and ability to work well in coordination with the Management.

So, until our Management decides to change some of their fundamental philosophies, there is little chance of any coaching candidate truly being able to take this team to long term success.  Isn't that what many of us have been complaining about, for the last 27 years?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 09:54 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: What's it hurt to speculate? Yes you're probably right we won't get the coach we want but it is interesting enough to talk about.

This. I always used to participate in FA threads saying "we should sign player x" knowing full damn well it would never happen.

Sometimes people are well aware of the circumstances...they just want to have fun like other fan bases do.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 01:18 AM)McC Wrote: While I don't think the Brown family will ever go all in to win a SB, I don't think they want to be outside the playoffs.  I don't think they'll go for more of the same.

Not saying they're gonna up and go both feet into FA or hire a bunch of new scouts.  But I think it's very possible they go for a coach with a new approach.  It's not like the last one ended up working.  

Here's the thing, though, I don't think Brown thinks the last approach didn't work. I think he'll look at all the playoff appearances Merv had (recently, not overall) and think that it DID work. I'm sure he'll come up with the requisite excuses for why Merv lost (Green and Dalton were rookies, injuries, etc) but I think he views Merv's tenure here as a generally successful one.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-23-2017, 12:20 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Here's the thing, though, I don't think Brown thinks the last approach didn't work. I think he'll look at all the playoff appearances Merv had (recently, not overall) and think that it DID work. I'm sure he'll come up with the requisite excuses for why Merv lost (Green and Dalton were rookies, injuries, etc) but I think he views Merv's tenure here as a generally successful one.

I don't think he'll take the playoff appearances lightly, but I don't think he'll take the last two seasons lightly either or the utterly lifeless team out there the last two weeks.   It worked, to a point, and then it stopped working even a little bit.

This is the edge of the abyss.  Walk carefully.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote