Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All things considered the defense took a big step forward today..
I know we lost d.j after arguably his best game,
but the defense as a whole did a very good job today against one of the most explosive offenses in the league today..

I'm from Baltimore and watched the game with alot of ravens fans and they was giving our defense props for the tight man coverage and the way we got after Lamar and the offense..They gave our revamped linebacker core big props saying we would be problems for them whenever we aquire speed on offense and a oline which I agree with..

Big props to lou and the defense today it actually makes me feel like we will be fine moving forward if zac and the O can find their way..
Reply/Quote
It was nice to see the Defense bring it today. I said in another thread that if you told me before the game we would only give up only 20 points up on defense and shut down Lamar. I would have thought we won the game. Offense let us down today.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 12:53 AM)J24 Wrote: It was nice to see the Defense bring it today. I said in another thread that if you told me before the game we would only give up only 20 points up on defense and shut down Lamar. I would have thought we won the game. Offense let us down today.

Definitely I would have never thought that the offense would play this bad,that gameplan was absolutely horrendous..
Reply/Quote
I agree, Lamar usually runs all over us, not today, the lanes just weren't there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Lamar obviously wasn’t 100%

He’ll run wild our next game vs them.

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Lamar obviously wasn’t 100%

It wasn't just us.
Lamar hasn't looked like last year in almost every other game, maybe the NFL is just figuring them out.
Reply/Quote

I actually disagree;I thought the defensive gameplan was very unique in the sense of what lou was actually doing..he took 3 defensive tackles and lined them up in the middle..He used Bynes and Wilson to man the a&b gaps with a combination of pratt and Lawson and or Dunlap to set the edge with the secondary playing straight man while lining up 5 to 7 yards off the ball..The whole in this game plan was not bumping or doubling andrews which they started doing after the ravens fourth drive..

I personally think that Lamar had rush lanes only a few times and whenever lou brought added pressure it got home and forced Lamar to throw off his back foot or throw it away completely very good game plan by the defense..
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:38 AM)CorpusChristiBengal Wrote: It wasn't just us.
Lamar hasn't looked like last year in almost every other game, maybe the NFL is just figuring them out.

He played well against what looks like a very good Browns team. And honestly as bad as he was today he was a Jesse Bates tipped pass away from a 3 TD day.

Reply/Quote
Remember we had 1 INT and if we were better at catching INTs should have had 2-3 more.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:42 AM)Joelist Wrote: Remember we had 1 INT and if we were better at catching INTs should have had 2-3 more.

The one ADG dropped was a killer.

Reply/Quote

Idk.  Tennessee gave the rest of the league a blueprint to beat him.  KC used it, too.  Use a staggered rush to contain, then force him to throw.  He still scores, and your offense has to keep up, but he doesn't get the same huge plays.

He is going through an adapting phase right now.  He has to show teams, particularly good ones, that he can beat them with his arm alone.  If we had any offensive competence today, this would have been a ballgame.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He played well against what looks like a very good Browns team. And honestly as bad as he was today he was a Jesse Bates tipped pass away from a 3 TD day.

And i believe  2 to 3 drops from 3 Ints....  he is not playing at the caliber of last year but still hell to game plan for
Reply/Quote
The defense has improved as a whole... offense is not helping them out very well.. they can get any big plays and inconsistent. Losing Reader is going to hurt. hope Atkins is in playing shape soon we will need him
Reply/Quote
Lou Anarumo had the defense ready to face the Ravens and on that side of the ball the Bengals played well enough to win. The linebackers played an outstanding game and the pass defense from the secondary was the best I’ve seen in years. Containing Lamar Jackson isn’t easy but Lou cooked up a scheme that did it!
Reply/Quote
The D played decent, but I think everyone is thinking they played better than they did because we watched that putrid offense do nothing against them. They gave up 6.7 YPC and almost 50% 3rd down conversion. They also applied 6 QB hits while converting one sack and 3 TFL. They played really well on pass D. The second half I'll concede they played a lot better, but by and large still had issues with stopping the run and third down conversions for the game.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Defense wasn't the issue yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 09:36 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The D played decent, but I think everyone is thinking they played better than they did because we watched that putrid offense do nothing against them. They gave up 6.7 YPC and almost 50% 3rd down conversion. They also applied 6 QB hits while converting one sack and 3 TFL. They played really well on pass D. The second half I'll concede they played a lot better, but by and large still had issues with stopping the run and third down conversions for the game.

Really they had issues on two running plays, the reverse to Duverney and the Dobbins carry, outside of that they had 22 attempts where they held them to an average of 3.8 YPC which is solid against that rushing attack. 

The 3rd down issues were a real problem.

Honestly though, if you told me going in we'd turn in that kind of defensive performance I would have never believed we'd lose that game by 24 points.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: Really they had issues on two running plays, the reverse to Duverney and the Dobbins carry, outside of that they had 22 attempts where they held them to an average of 3.8 YPC which is solid against that rushing attack. 

The 3rd down issues were a real problem.

Honestly though, if you told me going in we'd turn in that kind of defensive performance I would have never believed we'd lose that game by 24 points.

Very true. I'd add covering Andrews was a real problem (stop me if this sounds familiar lol). Just looked and KC gave up 7.5 to them, but of course they have a far better offense to keep pace. Getting pressure & 3rd down conversions are the achilles heal for this D.

I do really like how this staff seems to make good second half adjustments to, especially the defense yesterday.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 10:08 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Very true. I'd add covering Andrews was a real problem (stop me if this sounds familiar lol). Just looked and KC gave up 7.5 to them, but of course they have a far better offense to keep pace. Getting pressure & 3rd down conversions are the achilles heal for this D.

I do really like how this staff seems to make good second half adjustments to, especially the defense yesterday.

I heard Gannon mention we "doubled" Andrews at one point and he still caught it, which was actually false. We were in a cover 1 with Bates playing "robber", he came down into his hook zone and passed Andrews for the more likely throw underneath. It was actually a good call on Bates part but Lamar decided to get a little greedy and take the more difficult pass over the top. We played him decently, but frankly, a lot of his catches were good throws and solid ball placement. Guys like that are going to get you a couple of times, but all things considered, they didn't play him horribly as 6 for 56 and a TD isn't a backbreaker by a receiving option. 
Reply/Quote
If someone had told me that we would lose both Reader and Hubbard during this game, Geno would be back but only sparingly, we would not have Waynes  or  Alexander, and we'd still hold the Ravens to 27 points, I would have had a hard time believing that. Anarumo has this defense playing well, with young guys out there balling out. And, Simmons again has ST's playing really well. We HAVE to get an oline.
Reply/Quote