Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All three T-giving games have Bengals' connection
So, the first one is Minnesota at Detroit with the coach that should have taken over for Marvin.

The second is Washington at Dallas with the former Bengal's OC coordinator who also could have, should have taken over for Marvin.

And the third is Pittsburgh playing somebody and no comment needed there. I don't like Indy or Andrew Luck but as a Bengal's fan I hope they beat the snot out of the Steelers tonight.
Reply/Quote
Also... MARVIN JONESSSSS
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:14 PM)TreasureCoastBenGal Wrote: So, the first one is Minnesota at Detroit with the coach that should have taken over for Marvin.

The second is Washington at Dallas with the former Bengal's OC coordinator who also could have, should have taken over for Marvin.

And the third is Pittsburgh playing somebody and no comment needed there. I don't like Indy or Andrew Luck but as a Bengal's fan I hope they beat the snot out of the Steelers tonight.
At the time i don't think ANYONE was clamoring for Jay Gruden to take over for Marvin ,but since hindsight is always the ace in the hole and always works out in our favor we'll go with that one . 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:19 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Also... MARVIN JONESSSSS

Good luck spotting him. He has 2 catches for like 18 yards in the last 2 games and have averaged 32 yards over the last 6 weeks. Bet Detroit regrets signing him for $9 million per.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:14 PM)TreasureCoastBenGal Wrote: So, the first one is Minnesota at Detroit with the coach that should have taken over for Marvin.

Andrew luck isn't even playing tonight so that's an easy win for the Steelers
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 02:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Good luck spotting him. He has 2 catches for like 18 yards in the last 2 games and have averaged 32 yards over the last 6 weeks. Bet Detroit regrets signing him for $9 million per.

He fizzled out but im pretty sure it is partially due to injury. Pretty sure his foot injury flared up again. Looked good before that.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 03:40 PM)Trademark Wrote: Andrew luck isn't even playing tonight so that's an easy win for the Steelers

Mike Tomlin has a habit of losing to the worst teams in the league... I'll wait and see what happens.
Reply/Quote
The Lions are the new cardiac cats, that had to hurt ole Zim.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 03:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He fizzled out but im pretty sure it is partially due to injury. Pretty sure his foot injury flared up again. Looked good before that.

Not saying this is untrue, but rotoworld is usually good about mentioning injuries, and I haven't seen anything. Just says that he's taking a backseat to Tate and possibly Boldin and Ebron as well. He had a couple good games early and has disappeared. Honestly, he was often like that in Cincy as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 03:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mike Tomlin has a habit of losing to the worst teams in the league... I'll wait and see what happens.

? but we hardly ever beat them Ninja
Reply/Quote
Marvin got that contract over 1 game the 5 TD Jets game. He honestly isn't that good, maybe if Megatron was still there getting doubled Like AJ did for him here...
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 03:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Mike Tomlin has a habit of losing to the worst teams in the league... I'll wait and see what happens.

Yup and it's on the road. That's where Tomlin fails the hardest.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 08:23 PM)ANTHONY Wrote: Marvin got that contract over 1 game the 5 TD Jets game. He honestly isn't that good, maybe if Megatron was still there getting doubled Like AJ did for him here...

He's better than LaFell, so unless we are cap strapped or Mike Brown is sending us all a check for the money saved I don't see the point in getting smug about the money saved.

We are 3-6, May as well pull a Browns and can everyone who makes more than the league minimum.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 08:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's better than LaFell, so unless we are cap strapped or Mike Brown is sending us all a check for the money saved I don't see the point in getting smug about the money saved.

We are 3-6, May as well pull a Browns and can everyone who makes more than the league minimum.

According to Houshmenzada, Bengals offered basically same deal to keep Jones, because TJ was saying he wished he could have gotten to talk to Jones before he left because if you get the same offer from the team you are on and it's a competitive team, its' better to stay with that team and the system you know.
He went on to say that he left like that and his career took a dump.
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 03:40 PM)Trademark Wrote: Andrew luck isn't even playing tonight so that's an easy win for the Steelers

Not like we have a snowballs chance in Hawaii anyway. A victory for the Steelers means a better draft pick for the Bengals next year (although he may not see game time till 2020).

Reply/Quote

Did you notice how clean the pocket was for both QBs? Somebody on both teams can draft good O linemen. Oh well, it was a fun (kind of  0-7)) ride while it lasted. Sad
Reply/Quote
(11-24-2016, 08:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He's better than LaFell, so unless we are cap strapped or Mike Brown is sending us all a check for the money saved I don't see the point in getting smug about the money saved.

Do you think Marv Jones keeps this team from being 3-6-1 this year though? I don't. Personally, I'm glad Jones is having 1 catch games elsewhere for 8 million per. Now the FO can use that money toward fixing this abysmal o-line, which has played a much bigger role in our fall than a #2 WR.

I get it, Mike Brown doesn't always spend to cap, therefore you think "why not keep Jones". The thing is though, what if Mike signed Jones to that fat contract and still decided not to spend to cap over the next 5 years? Either way, if they'd signed Jones, there would be less $ to fix the real problems on this team, and there are plenty. #2 WR would be like 17th on that list.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 02:39 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Do you think Marv Jones keeps this team from being 3-6-1 this year though? I don't. Personally, I'm glad Jones is having 1 catch games elsewhere for 8 million per. Now the FO can use that money toward fixing this abysmal o-line, which has played a much bigger role in our fall than a #2 WR.

I get it, Mike Brown doesn't always spend to cap, therefore you think "why not keep Jones". The thing is though, what if Mike signed Jones to that fat contract and still decided not to spend to cap over the next 5 years? Either way, if they'd signed Jones, there would be less $ to fix the real problems on this team, and there are plenty. #2 WR would be like 17th on that list.

Well, I wouldn't say ol' Marvin Jones would be saving our season but I also must say we've been yucking it up at the Lions for signing the guy and they are leading their division and we have more money to "fix what is wrong."  Such is life.  

I was never of the mindset that we needed to keep Jones, but I had a feeling going through so many changes on offense wouldn't shake out well.  I'm more one to discuss people's mindsets and perceptions of situations than the situation itself, really.  Someone also mentioned Housh leaving and then falling off a cliff, so which Bengals players went from starting here (during the Marvin Lewis era) and left to do anything noteworthy for another team? Palmer? J Joe?

I always found it a bit odd that Bengals fans would laugh when their starters go to other NFL teams and do nothing.  I suppose you could say it makes it look like we know when to get rid of a guy, but it also makes it seem like we start a lot of guys who would sit the bench elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(11-25-2016, 11:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well, I wouldn't say ol' Marvin Jones would be saving our season but I also must say we've been yucking it up at the Lions for signing the guy and they are leading their division and we have more money to "fix what is wrong."  Such is life.  

I was never of the mindset that we needed to keep Jones, but I had a feeling going through so many changes on offense wouldn't shake out well.  I'm more one to discuss people's mindsets and perceptions of situations than the situation itself, really.  Someone also mentioned Housh leaving and then falling off a cliff, so which Bengals players went from starting here (during the Marvin Lewis era) and left to do anything noteworthy for another team?  Palmer?  J Joe?

I always found it a bit odd that Bengals fans would laugh when their starters go to other NFL teams and do nothing.  I suppose you could say it makes it look like we know when to get rid of a guy, but it also makes it seem like we start a lot of guys who would sit the bench elsewhere.

Obviously I think we made the right non-move there, and I don't see Jones as the difference between our record and Detroit's (they had just as many offensive changes). I'm willing to admit that LaFell has been mildly disappointing based on my own expectations though. Again, the biggest issue by far this year - IMO - is the o-line. I just don't see any way to link Jones' departure to that. As for the Lions, I want to say they are around 14-6 since promoting Jim Bob Cooter to OC last year.

Fair question on the players after they leave. I know Simmons, Benson, Housh, Rudi, Chad, Nelson, and Leon were all on the wrong side of 30. Justin Smith was great elsewhere. Newman has played well. Frostee played at the same level for the Cards. Phat Sims had moments for the Raiders. Then there's JJo and Palmer. I'm struggling to think of anyone else.

I'd say that's at least partially a product of the Bengals signing their own and also being overly loyal. They sign 90% of their good players to long term deals, and rarely let go until that player is washed up either through age or injury.
Reply/Quote