Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Am I Unrealistically Excited?!
I'm usually an optimistic, but realistic, fan of this team.

I'm always hoping and cheering but I've never been this optimistic for the team.

My main reason for such high optimism this season is Joe Burrow, but more specifically the offensive line, because he led us to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game with a shitty offensive line, which now rankings have our line in the top ten or top fifteen. Karras might be a weak spot but I'd rather the weak spot be one at center than our tackles where speed rushers can get to Burrow. I'm excited for Cappa and Brown.

Burrow has had injuries, but he appears to be healthy, so won't he rip the league apart?

At running back, we had Mixon and Perine and it wasn't too impressive. Now, we have Moss and Brown, which I've said a lot that I think Brown's underrated and Moss is also better than he's given credit for.

At receiver, we might not be as good, but we still have Chase and Higgins (hopefully), and teams will have to sell-out to stop Chase, especially with the line giving Burrow time to throw, so any receiver will be able to produce with less coverage and a better running game. I've also voiced my optimism about Burton.

Gesicki and Hurst might be a wash, but I like that Gesicki's 6'6 and I think Burrow will look for him a lot in the red zone and on third downs.

On the defensive line, we have Hubbard and Hendrickson at ends, with Sample, Murphy and Ossai backing them up, which is pretty much the same.

At tackle, we did have Reader, Hill, and Carter, and now we have Rankins, Hill, Jenkins, and Carter, so I feel like that's an improvement.

At backer, we're pretty much the same (I think?).

At corner, we had Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers, and now we have CTB, Turner, and Hilton, and I think Dax could be taking over the slot position, which I like, so I feel like that's also a wash.

At safety, we had Bell, Bates, Thomas, and Dax, and now we have Bell, Stone, and Battle, so I feel like that's a wash.

The only position I think that we might be weaker is receiver, but Burrow can make anyone look good, especially with Chase out there, and we improved GREATLY on the position group that kept us from winning the title in our first two playoff runs, the offensive line, so am I wrong for being this optimistic?

What am I missing? Why are people in the football world not higher on us?
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 05:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm usually an optimistic, but realistic, fan of this team.

I'm always hoping and cheering but I've never been this optimistic for the team.

My main reason for such high optimism this season is Joe Burrow, but more specifically the offensive line, because he led us to the Super Bowl and AFC Championship Game with a shitty offensive line, which now rankings have our line in the top ten or top fifteen. Karras might be a weak spot but I'd rather the weak spot be one at center than our tackles where speed rushers can get to Burrow. I'm excited for Cappa and Brown.

Burrow has had injuries, but he appears to be healthy, so won't he rip the league apart?

At running back, we had Mixon and Perine and it wasn't too impressive. Now, we have Moss and Brown, which I've said a lot that I think Brown's underrated and Moss is also better than he's given credit for.

At receiver, we might not be as good, but we still have Chase and Higgins (hopefully), and teams will have to sell-out to stop Chase, especially with the line giving Burrow time to throw, so any receiver will be able to produce with less coverage and a better running game.

Gesicki and Hurst might be a wash, but I like that Gesicki's 6'6 and I think Burrow will look for him a lot in the red zone and on third downs.

On the defensive line, we have Hubbard and Hendrickson at ends, with Sample, Murphy and Ossai backing them up, which is pretty much the same.

At tackle, we did have Reader, Hill, and Carter, and now we have Rankins, Hill, Jenkins, and Carter, so I feel like that's an improvement.

At corner, we had Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers, and now we have CTB, Turner, and Hilton, so I feel like that's also a wash.

At safety, we had Bell, Bates, Thomas, and Dax, and now we have Bell, Stone, Battle, and Dax, so I feel like that's a wash.

The only position I think that we might be weaker is receiver, but Burrow can make anyone look good, especially with Chase out there, and we improved GREATLY on the position group that kept us from winning the title in our first two playoff runs, the offensive line, so am I wrong for being this optimistic?

I think we will be much better this season with pass catchers.  Burton adds an element Boyd couldn't offer, and Gesicki is a stretch TE we haven't had. 

Also, pretty sure Dax is playing CB this season.    

Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers were tiers better than CTB, Turner, and Hilton.  We will see what Dax can do and if Turner can take the next step, especially in man coverage.

Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 05:36 PM)casear2727 Wrote:  I think we will be much better this season with pass catchers.  Burton adds an element Boyd couldn't offer, and Gesicki is a stretch TE we haven't had. 

Also, pretty sure Dax is playing CB this season.    

Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers were tiers better than CTB, Turner, and Hilton.  We will see what Dax can do and if Turner can take the next step, especially in man coverage.

Fixed it because you're right about Dax and I've already mentioned that I like that move, and I've also posted how excited I am about Burton. 

I was in a hurry when I typed most of that, so I guess that's why I forgot to mention them.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 05:31 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'm usually an optimistic, but realistic, fan of this team.

At receiver, we might not be as good, but we still have Chase and Higgins (hopefully), and teams will have to sell-out to stop Chase, especially with the line giving Burrow time to throw, so any receiver will be able to produce with less coverage and a better running game. I've also voiced my optimism about Burton.

At corner, we had Apple, Awuzie, Hilton, and Flowers, and now we have CTB, Turner, and Hilton, and I think Dax could be taking over the slot position, which I like, so I feel like that's also a wash.

At safety, we had Bell, Bates, Thomas, and Dax, and now we have Bell, Stone, and Battle, so I feel like that's a wash.

Not sure how you are saying not high on bengals, we are mentioned as top tier in afc, other teams also have alot of positives, the team I think that moved the bar most in AFC is Houston,  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Receiver we are much better. Gesicki more athletic and a threat than Hurst. Burton and Isovias more athletic and a threat than Boyd. Didn’t say better than Boyd in ‘21. But more a threat and matchup problem. IMO if Isovias & Burton emerge we don’t replace Tee next year. But we are faster and more athletic than ‘21. And I expect Isovias to blossom big time.

OL is better but we’ve been saying that each year. I think we will run the ball better.

We aren’t better at running back than ‘21 with Mixon and Perine was a bull and was at the Jets game and they kept pounding him running out the clock. Mixon was a tough runner and good in the passing game. But if Brown strengths are utilized they will be. There’s no denying his explosiveness. If they can just open some holes. I don’t think Moss is better than Mixon and I think Mixon will show that at Houston. Oh the board will say where was that guy? The Houston OL says hi to Cincy.They paid him a lot of money.

DL we aren’t replacing the immovable D J Reader or his disruptiveness. But we will have a better inside pass rush.

Secondary will be improved but corner the scariest position on the team. Turner or Dax have to emerge.

I think the offense will be improved and defense. I think 12 wins is very possible depending on Joe’s health.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Ummmm, I believe you have. If I remember correctly, You've had other threads like this. If so, you've had every right to be a little more optimistic than the previous year. We are doing better in the FO and Zac is also learning. Joey B will be better than past years as he learns more and more about this next level game, and he won't stop. He lives to win and lives to study the competition. He is one of the best competitors on the field. Plus, his dedication to the game stands alone. That kind of attitude rubs off on others. We have many great leaders on this team and that didn't happen overnight. 
Reply/Quote
Probably buts that OK! We are on a Bengals message board for crying out loud!

This offense is going to be a generational offense. I'm talking 98 Vikings, 99 Rams, 07 Patriots, and 13 Broncos level offense. The defense on the other hand I have worry abouts. Specifically, when it comes to the middle of the field(Dts, LBs, NB, and S positions). We're either average or old at those positions and that worries me.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 06:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure how you are saying not high on bengals, we are mentioned as top tier in afc, other teams also have alot of positives, the team I think that moved the bar most in AFC is Houston,  

I'm not worried about Houston. Not yet, but I will be.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 06:07 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Not sure how you are saying not high on bengals, we are mentioned as top tier in afc, other teams also have alot of positives, the team I think that moved the bar most in AFC is Houston,  
We're mentioned in the top tier in some online rankings but I don't think we're spoken of highly enough or given enough credit for our roster. I feel like we're mentioned in the top ten in some rankings but I don't think I have seem anyone that is objectively excited about our talent. 
(06-11-2024, 07:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Ummmm, I believe you have. If I remember correctly, You've had other threads like this. If so, you've had every right to be a little more optimistic than the previous year. We are doing better in the FO and Zac is also learning. Joey B will be better than past years as he learns more and more about this next level game, and he won't stop. He lives to win and lives to study the competition. He is one of the best competitors on the field. Plus, his dedication to the game stands alone. That kind of attitude rubs off on others. We have many great leaders on this team and that didn't happen overnight. 
I have been excited but not this excited and it hasn't been as unbiased or based on as many positive things.

Since Burrow got here, I have been excited but I have always been worried about the line, and this looks to be the best line we've had blocking for him, which is why I don't understand why people aren't more excited.
(06-11-2024, 07:24 PM)J24 Wrote: Probably buts that OK! We are  on a Bengals message board for crying out loud!

This offense is going to be a generational offense. I'm talking 98 Vikings, 99 Rams, 07 Patriots, and  13 Broncos level offense. The defense on the other hand I have worry abouts. Specifically, when it comes to the middle of the field(Dts, LBs, NB, and S positions). We're either average or old at those positions and that worries me.

LOVE IT!

I remember loving watching the '98 Vikings live and on NFL PrimeTime and watching Cunningham just launch bombs to Moss and Carter!

I don't know if we'll be as good as any of those offenses, but I agree that we have the potential and it all relies on just protecting Burrow.

The defense will be good enough to at least slow down opposing offenses so Burrow can outscore them.
Reply/Quote
Unrealistically excited? Have you been spending too much time in the archives watching Holic's old Kate Upton .gif??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 06:21 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Receiver we are much better. Gesicki more athletic and a threat than Hurst. Burton and Isovias more athletic and a threat than Boyd. Didn’t say better than Boyd in ‘21. But more a threat and matchup problem. IMO if Isovias & Burton emerge we don’t replace Tee next year. But we are faster and more athletic than ‘21. And I expect Isovias to blossom big time.

OL is better but we’ve been saying that each year. I think we will run the ball better.

We aren’t better at running back than ‘21 with Mixon and Perine was a bull and was at the Jets game and they kept pounding him running out the clock. Mixon was a tough runner and good in the passing game. But if Brown strengths are utilized they will be. There’s no denying his explosiveness. If they can just open some holes. I don’t think Moss is better than Mixon and I think Mixon will show that at Houston. Oh the board will say where was that guy? The Houston OL says hi to Cincy.They paid him a lot of money.

DL we aren’t replacing the immovable D J Reader or his disruptiveness. But we will have a better inside pass rush.

Secondary will be improved but corner the scariest position on the team. Turner or Dax have to emerge.

I think the offense will be improved and defense. I think 12 wins is very possible depending on Joe’s health.

Yes, I'm looking forward to the new offensive game plan. It's the defense that has a lot of proving to do. Everyone knew that the defense would fall to shit when Bates and Bell left in the same offseason, now they have a chance to pick up the pieces and make their own name.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Burrow. It ultimately comes down to one man. He stays upright and all the other pieces look good.
Reply/Quote
This might surprise most people, but I think our DL is going to shock us all. You don't replace DJ, singularly, but we added some players. Great rotation and I think we will be in the top 10 by season's end!
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2024, 08:12 PM)wanga Wrote: Burrow. It ultimately comes down to one man. He stays upright and all the other pieces look good.

in long term no doubt but the one positive is how Browning performed last year if we assume our team is better now around Burrow, that also means it is better around Browning, good feeling knowing we can win without Joe if needed for a few games. Last year also showed without a decent defense even with a healthy Joe, we will have a tough time making it to AFC finals again.
Reply/Quote
I like the OL better this year, and I think Dan Pitcher will be great for designing plays.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
It's easy to be optimistic because of the players added that we have only seen from their previous teams.
However, it's important to be cautious because a player may not end up performing as well with this team like they performed on their previous team(s).

What we don't know:
- Will the offense change under Pitcher? If so, how much?
- Will Gesicki be more like his 2021 season where he was a great contributor in the passing game, or will he be more like he was in 2022-2023 where he averaged just 300 yards a season those 2 years?
- Who steps up into that WR3 spot with Boyd gone?
- What will the running game look like with Mixon gone and expected more RBBC?
- What will the run defense look like with Reader gone?
- Will the safety additions result in better pass coverage this year and look more like 2021-2022?
- Will Trent Brown (and/or Amarius Mims) truly upgrade the OL this year compared to the past couple years?

I'm cautiously optimistic but there are a lot of unknowns with all these changes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2024, 10:52 AM)ochocincos Wrote: It's easy to be optimistic because of the players added that we have only seen from their previous teams.
However, it's important to be cautious because a player may not end up performing as well with this team like they performed on their previous team(s).

What we don't know:
- Will the offense change under Pitcher? If so, how much?
- Will Gesicki be more like his 2021 season where he was a great contributor in the passing game, or will he be more like he was in 2022-2023 where he averaged just 300 yards a season those 2 years?
- Who steps up into that WR3 spot with Boyd gone?
- What will the running game look like with Mixon gone and expected more RBBC?
- What will the run defense look like with Reader gone?
- Will the safety additions result in better pass coverage this year and look more like 2021-2022?
- Will Trent Brown (and/or Amarius Mims) truly upgrade the OL this year compared to the past couple years?

I'm cautiously optimistic but there are a lot of unknowns with all these changes.

You absolutely nailed it. Perfect but I’ll add:
Will DJ Turner or Dax Hill come thru at CB?
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2024, 11:28 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You absolutely nailed it. Perfect but I’ll add:
Will DJ Turner or Dax Hill come thru at CB?

I thought about adding that, but I decided not to since it was already a pain point last year. I can't see that spot getting worse this year.
But yes, there is some uncertainty there. Also have to factor in rookie Josh Newton into the mix.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2024, 11:48 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I thought about adding that, but I decided not to since it was already a pain point last year. I can't see that spot getting worse this year.
But yes, there is some uncertainty there. Also have to factor in rookie Josh Newton into the mix.

But which of those do you feel will work out?

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2024, 11:52 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: But which of those do you feel will work out?

From CB perspective, I lean toward DJ Turner.
Some people had unrealistic expectations for a rookie to come in and be great immediately. That was unfair to Turner.

While Turner didn't have any INTs last year, he did have 7 PDs and 50 tackles in 829 defensive snaps.
Maybe surprising to some, that's right about what Eli Apple (who many wanted back as insurance last year) did each of his 2 years as a Bengal:
2021 - 10 PDs, 49 tackles in 979 defensive snaps
2022 - 8 PDs, 49 tackles in 908 snaps

Given Apple was a former Top 10 pick, was an experienced veteran, and was right in the prime of his career those 2 years, I think Turner's floor is Apple and his ceiling is even higher.

Some might say, "Well, you're talking stats...what about the mishaps in the games that aren't reflected in stats?!"
And while true there were some mishaps that people remember, people should expect a rookie to have some gaffes. At least that's my opinion.
Leon Hall got whooped a pretty good amount as a rookie (I'll always remember Braylon Edwards beating him over and over in that CLE game in 2007), but turned into a really damn good CB within a couple years after. Gotta give players some time.

I think Hill will act as a versatile piece this year before taking over for Hilton next year.
While I thought the team gave up too quickly on him at FS, I hope he finds a spot by next year so it's not a bust of a pick.

Newton I think will be a CB4 kinda guy who plays across multiple spots and spot starts.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote