Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I nuts to think oline isn't all that big of a 'need' anymore?
(11-18-2020, 06:46 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Yes we gave up sacks last week but running the ball against Pitts at 5 per carry is hopeful.

Two sacks on Four total hits versus a front seven of the caliber of Pittsburgh is a great performance, given they are a patchwork OL unit.

(11-18-2020, 06:49 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Im not so sure he's not better than Hart when you factor in his youth and how well he's handled getting thrown to the wolves.  I mean Pitts front is no joke and he more than held his own.  Also no preseason,  I really think he could end up an excellent tackle in this league.  Hart has improved but we've all seen what he can do when he decides to take a play or 2 off (get Joe smacked). 

I agree that they have decent bodies playing OL right now.  What they really need, in order to become a formidable unit is continuity and reps together.  They opened holes for the RB2 and RB3 to average 5/carry, as well as two significant TD runs that were called back for penalty, one of them very tick-tack.  

I completely agree that the primary focus is and should be on improving the pass rush.  Not saying that they need to ignore improving OL via free agent or draft, but it's not the biggest problem anymore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
It's a good Oline draft. I think we still load up. We don't have enough picks to fix everything so another position is going to have to wait (wideout?) until next year. Not a great dline draft unfortunately.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Pass rush and O line is still 1A and 1B. IMO we could use speed at WR and CB.

But a really good pass rush will solve the majority of the problems on defense
(11-18-2020, 08:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: It's a good Oline draft. I think we still load up. We don't have enough picks to fix everything so another position is going to have to wait (wideout?) until next year. Not a great dline draft unfortunately.

I’m ok with this if that is the case. The league has morphed into one where having a great offense can win you games despite a subpar defense. I’ve seen KC win games 45-42 and it works because their offense is just that high powered.

Let’s fix the line and get one of those high powered offenses going!
There's a saying I used to say back when we had AD at the helm:

A QB makes an oline

An oline makes a RB

We might want to start looking at how good our current/future Olinemen can run block and let JB do his thing.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-18-2020, 08:45 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Pass rush and O line is still 1A and 1B. IMO we could use speed at WR and CB.

But a really good pass rush will solve the majority of the time sues of n defense

Wut??  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(11-18-2020, 08:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I’m ok with this if that is the case. The league has morphed into one where having a great offense can win you games despite a subpar defense. I’ve seen KC win games 45-42 and it works because their offense is just that high powered.

Let’s fix the line and get one of those high powered offenses going!

That's an EXTREMELY high powered offense though, like near best of a generation type of offense. But yeah, if the draft isn't looking good for pass rushers, gotta spend in FA most likely.
(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit. We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit. Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5? I don't see that as an awful oline anymore. Do I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/

I would agree completely. This team has been much better in terms of scoring so the issue is not as much on the offensive end. Could they be upgraded? Yes, but really I think the need falls in the d-line now. The lack of pressure on oppsing QBs is glaring. I can think of at minimum three games we would have won if we had a good d line: philly/colts/2nd Browns game. I think this needs addressed first and foremost.
(11-18-2020, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wut??  

Sorry toddler typo
My $.02 is that it all depends on three things. If we can get Spain under contract for the future, prove that one of Jonah and Adeniji can be a legit at each tackle position (since they are both LTs), and prove that Price and/or Jordan can reliably step into all 3 interior spots (or Finney) off the bench.

Do those things, and we have a solid line with flexibility in the event of injury. In that regard, the Oline would be far from a need, and we would only be looking for guys for development and depth.
(11-18-2020, 07:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: You mean like Marvin Lewis?

Marv was a 4-3 guy and a 4-3 guy only.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Yes....

Sent from my BV9600 using Tapatalk
(11-18-2020, 10:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Marv was a 4-3 guy and a 4-3 guy only.

Also wasn't a very good 4-3 guy when he didn't have Ray Lewis and company.

Bengals Scoring Defense...
2003: 28th
2004: 21st
2005: 22nd
2006: 17th
2007: 24th

Bengals didn't get a good defense until Zimmer came and took over (24th to 19th his first year, and then 19th to 6th his second year.)

(Lewis also took Washington's 2001 13th scoring defense and turned it into the 2002 21st scoring defense in his sole year there.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Don't take this the wrong way ( an attack on Burrow's arm) but we don't need a speed receiver. Burrow isn't that type of bombs away qb. We need good route runners and receivers who won't outrun play action. You don't need to fly off the ball full speed ahead in this offense. That's why offenses like SF have a bunch of receivers who run good routes and are good in space. This isn't a shot at Burrow, but he wasn't drafted for the deep threat offense.

I actually think he'll make star wide receivers out of 3rd day picks.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(11-19-2020, 12:08 AM)jj22 Wrote: Don't take this the wrong way ( an attack on Burrow's arm) but we don't need a speed receiver. Burrow isn't that type of bombs away qb. We need good route runners and receivers who won't outrun play action. You don't need to fly off the ball full speed ahead in this offense. That's why offenses like SF have a bunch of receivers who run good routes and are good in space. This isn't a shot at Burrow, but he wasn't drafted for the deep threat offense.

I actually think he'll make star wide receivers out of 3rd day picks.

Watch a couple of these deep balls to Ja’Marr Chase and see if it changes your mind...

https://youtu.be/ggx0WBn90xE

https://www.secsports.com/video/28197217/burrow-finds-chase-stride-78-yard-td

(11-18-2020, 10:15 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Marv was a 4-3 guy and a 4-3 guy only.

Zimmer mixed in a little bit of hybrid front, Guenther mixed in some more.  His defenses weren't Schwartz level vanilla where it was either rush four or bring the house on a zero blitz.
(11-18-2020, 06:49 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Im not so sure he's not better than Hart when you factor in his youth and how well he's handled getting thrown to the wolves.  I mean Pitts front is no joke and he more than held his own.  Also no preseason,  I really think he could end up an excellent tackle in this league.  Hart has improved but we've all seen what he can do when he decides to take a play or 2 off (get Joe smacked). 

Nah, there ain't going to be no more of that. The oline starters have been placed on notice by their backups that they are ready to take their jobs. Jordan said in his interview he slept through the game with colitis, but when he watched the tape he saw Spain play his position after being here a day, and then last week watched him move to RT and handle Watt most of the game. I think just about every player that starts on this o-line has to be a little uncomfortable with how good the players behind them filled in. They will all be upping their games.....

I think you are confusing long-term potential with where they are right now.
And you may be right that long-term he may end up better than Hart, but right now I don't see him better. Hart has played better than some people are willing to admit, and I have been one of Hart's biggest critics.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit.  We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit.  Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5?  I don't see that as an awful oline anymore.  Do  I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/

You aren't nuts, the O-line has gotten better as the year went on especially with the Spain pick up and Adeniji being a very
good pick. Jonah was playing very good before he got hurt. Still think we need to pick up an O-lineman in the first 3 rounds
of the Draft or bring in a proven FA to solidify the front.

Pass rushers are what this team desperately needs, both on the edge and up the middle.
Yes the ol play improved. And yes, pass rush is a major need. If Sowell is available when the bengals are on the clock that is a no brainer pick imho. He’s considered a generational type player at the position. I don’t think the same can be said for this years crop of pass rushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk