Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I nuts to think oline isn't all that big of a 'need' anymore?
(11-19-2020, 05:55 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Yes the ol play improved.  And yes, pass rush is a major need.  If Sowell is available when the bengals are on the clock that is a no brainer pick imho.  He’s considered a generational type player at the position.  I don’t think the same can be said for this years crop of pass rushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed on Sewell. He needs to be the pick if he is there.

Go pass rushers at DE and DT in the 2nd and 3rd after.
(11-19-2020, 09:44 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Nah, there ain't going to be no more of that. The oline starters have been placed on notice by their backups that they are ready to take their jobs. Jordan said in his interview he slept through the game with colitis, but when he watched the tape he saw Spain play his position after being here a day, and then last week watched him move to RT and handle Watt most of the game. I think just about every player that starts on this o-line has to be a little uncomfortable with how good the players behind them filled in. They will all be upping their games.....

So you honestly believe that all those O-linemen could have been playing better if they wanted to?

I call BS on that.  If they didn't mind being embarrassed on the field every week early in the year then they are not going to care anymore now.
I think a lot of people are getting excited of quantity instead of quality.

For some reason a lot of people love O-linemen who have never played for us, or have played just one game. I could even bring back the threads where many fans were excited about Alex Redmond after he played one meaningless game at the end of the '17 season. Same with Christian Westerman and Fred Johnson.

Now that we have a whole bunch of new faces people are picking guys that they feel will be the answer to our problems. But while I do see a lot of new faces I don't see as many answers. I see quantity but no more quality.

I don't see the O-line "playing better". I saw Burrow have to work magic to keep from getting sacked multiple times by the worst pass rush in the league in Tennessee. Then I saw the Steelers shut our offense down with 4 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 12 pressures.
(11-18-2020, 06:55 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: If Adenejii can become a starter at RT and Spain at LG, I still say we need to get a stud at RG. I know Thuney has been thrown around. If we land him or someone like him in FA, I think the first two picks can go elsewhere, however, depth still needs to be addressed.

To be honest I think he's fine at left, Jonah should move to the right side, with Spain at the LG. 
(11-20-2020, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think a lot of people are getting excited of quantity instead of quality.

For some reason a lot of people love O-linemen who have never played for us, or have played just one game.  I could even bring back the threads where many fans were excited about Alex Redmond after he played one meaningless game at the end of the '17 season.  Same with Christian Westerman and Fred Johnson.

Now that we have a whole bunch of new faces people are picking guys that they feel will be the answer to our problems.  But while I do see a lot of new faces I don't see as many answers.  I see quantity but no more quality.

I don't see the O-line "playing better".  I saw Burrow have to work magic to keep from getting sacked multiple times by the worst pass rush in the league in Tennessee.  Then I saw the Steelers shut our offense down with 4 sacks, 9 QB hits, and 12 pressures.

Fred's a Quality RT
(11-19-2020, 06:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Agreed on Sewell. He needs to be the pick if he is there.

Go pass rushers at DE and DT in the 2nd and 3rd after.

If Adeniji and Jonah prove to be bookend Tackles down the stretch might open us up for a Much needed Passrusher rd 1
(11-18-2020, 08:32 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Two sacks on Four total hits versus a front seven of the caliber of Pittsburgh is a great performance, given they are a patchwork OL unit.

I agree that they have decent bodies playing OL right now.  What they really need, in order to become a formidable unit is continuity and reps together.  They opened holes for the RB2 and RB3 to average 5/carry, as well as two significant TD runs that were called back for penalty, one of them very tick-tack.  

I completely agree that the primary focus is and should be on improving the pass rush.  Not saying that they need to ignore improving OL via free agent or draft, but it's not the biggest problem anymore.

Agreed and them sacks maybe would of been lesser if we had a play caller who can mix the pass with the run, how you come from the rams and dont use play action. I Agree passrush is of lost importance and a true hybrid safety 
(11-20-2020, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you honestly believe that all those O-linemen could have been playing better if they wanted to?

I call BS on that.  If they didn't mind being embarrassed on the field every week early in the year then they are not going to care anymore now.

You have to read the posts you are going to argue with Fred. The assertion was that Hart would take plays off. I even bolded that.  My assertion was that with the backups breathing down their necks for playing time, they can't afford to do that.  Keep up.
(11-20-2020, 01:34 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You have to read the posts you are going to argue with Fred. The assertion was that Hart would take plays off.  My assertion was that with the backups breathing down their necks for playing time, they can't afford to do that.  Keep up.

I keep up just fine.  You are agreeing that the players already here could have played better (not taken plays off) if they just wanted to.

I still call BS on that.
We still need a good bit more IMHO.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-20-2020, 01:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I keep up just fine.  You are agreeing that the players already here could have played better (not taken plays off) if they just wanted to.

I still call BS on that.

You're calling BS on a player not having the choice to take plays off???? You don't think that's a choice a player makes??? Why is it some (Dunlap) have a reputation for doing it and some have a reputation for playing to the whistle every snap if it's not player choice? (I'm not even saying Hart did that, someone else did. All I'm saying is if he was, he likely won't if it means losing his spot)
(11-18-2020, 07:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Pass rush has become a bigger need IMO. Just absolutely zero pass rush all year. I know some pieces on the O Line have been injured...but man it's been pathetic. Especially with Geno's future up in the air and Dunlap's productivity gone.

Team needs in order now:
Pass Rush
Offensive Line
Secondary (looming loss of WJ3)

WhoDey2 If we can't land a game-changing stud LBer in FA, I feel we need to draft one before the 4th round...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

(11-20-2020, 03:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You're calling BS on a player not having the choice to take plays off???? You don't think that's a choice a player makes???

What I am saying is that if s player did not care about being embarrassed in front of hundreds of thousand of fans on TV and having opponents talk trash to him then he is not going to change at this point.  

If he did not care about keeping his job early in the year then he won't care anymore now.
(11-20-2020, 01:16 PM)Coach513 Wrote: If Adeniji and Jonah prove to be bookend Tackles down the stretch might open us up for a Much needed Passrusher rd 1

True, could be possible too. We all know Jonah could be great. Adeniji is also a sound smart technician with great feet and 
long arms. Think we got a great steal in the 6th round in Adeniji.
Respectively, you're nuts, my friend.

This O-line went from terrible to bad. An upgrade from 6-8 sacks a game to 4. Spain is the only lineman I'd keep moving forward and his tread is thinning by the seasons.

Historically, when a Bengals' offense is successful, we have a GREAT O-line at the core. Consider the shrooms from 75' to 81' to 88' to 05' to 15'. The pattern is undeniable; a top tier front five is paramount on offense.

Both groups are built from the line out. A better line makes everyone behind them better. If we create a GREAT O-line and a Great D-line, everyone succeeds. I know this current coaching staff is incapable of building and coaching such a front. If we don't focus on the lines in this offseason, then we'll be in the same boat next year.
(11-22-2020, 06:16 AM)Older Than You Too Wrote: Respectively, you're nuts, my friend.

This O-line went from terrible to bad. An upgrade from 6-8 sacks a game to 4. Spain is the only lineman I'd keep moving forward and his tread is thinning by the seasons.

Historically, when a Bengals' offense is successful, we have a GREAT O-line at the core. Consider the shrooms from 75' to 81' to 88' to 05' to 15'. The pattern is undeniable; a top tier front five is paramount on offense.

Both groups are built from the line out. A better line makes everyone behind them better. If we create a GREAT O-line and a Great D-line, everyone succeeds. I know this current coaching staff is incapable of building and coaching such a front. If we don't focus on the lines in this offseason, then we'll be in the same boat next year.

You’re ready to move on from Jonah Williams after 7 games? That’s crazy. He’s been up and down, but the potential is clearly there. Hopkins is also a perfectly serviceable center. No team has 5 Pro Bowlers all across their OL.

(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit.  We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit.  Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5?  I don't see that as an awful oline anymore.  Do  I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/
 You asked, " Am I nuts to think O Line isn't that big of a NEED anymore ?.....My answer is YES.  

Fans on here are often happy with just getting by on the O Line.  If we have enough Fat Boys to suit up, they are happy.   The real question is, Do we have a Super Bowl type O Line and the answer is NO.   We play some clunkers no other team would want. 

O Line and Defensive Front 7 have to be addressed early and often in the 2021 Draft.  Bengals are WEAK in the trenches and will NEVER win until they add real talent to the trenches. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Haven’t been here for a while and the first thing is see is that the Homer Bias is still strong. C’mon people! Jonah shows promise and might be a decent LT even if he is not pro bowl caliber. But it is all down hill from there. Because Hart has occasional good games or streaks doesn’t mean he isn’t horrible overall. He costs you games and will get Burrow killed.

Redmond sucks. Hopkins is one of the leagues worst centers. Jordan doesn’t start for another NFL team. Spain will be gone. Adenji could develop into something in a couple years and Fred could turn into a decent backup. Price was a bust.

Yes we need edge rushers, defensive tackles, corners, a WR and a TE and safety. But this line is a mess and if you want Burrow to ever have a winning season it has to be fixed.
(11-22-2020, 10:15 AM)yang Wrote: Haven’t been here for a while and the first thing is see is that the Homer Bias is still strong.  C’mon people!   Jonah shows promise and might be a decent LT even if he is not pro bowl caliber.  But it is all down hill from there.  Because Hart has occasional good games or streaks doesn’t mean he isn’t horrible overall.  He costs you games and will get Burrow killed.

Redmond sucks. Hopkins is one of the leagues worst centers.  Jordan doesn’t start for another NFL team. Spain will be gone.  Adenji could develop into something in a couple years and Fred could turn into a decent backup.  Price was a bust.

Yes we need edge rushers, defensive tackles, corners, a WR and a TE and safety. But this line is a mess and if you want Burrow to ever have a winning season it has to be fixed.

I think you're being a bit dramatic with some of your assessment, but overall I agree. We still need to invest early picks in this Oline to protect our franchise QB.
(11-18-2020, 06:24 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: Spain and Adeniji seem to be legit.  We know Hopkins and Jonah are legit.  Hart, XSF, Mike Jordan and Price figure out spot 5?  I don't see that as an awful oline anymore.  Do  I have stockholm syndrome or do ya'll agree?

If you want to see more break downs of Spain and Adeniji check out this video Lapahm made https://fb.watch/1RizPLrhAQ/

I'd say you have stockholm syndrome.

We still desperately need help/upgrades in the trenches on both sides.