Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I the Only One Who Misses Salad Bars in Grocery Stores?
This is kind of a weird thread, I know. But I'm just curious if anyone else is waiting for these to open back up. Will they ever open back up?

Just in case somehow anyone isn't aware what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the types of salad bars you'd see in a Kroger. They have about a million different options and you can just make up your own salad. You pay by the overall weight, regardless of the ingredients.

Of course once Covid started away they went, which makes total sense. And I suppose it still makes sense they're not opened just yet. But what's a little strange is that in the two Krogers I go to that section has been removed entirely. The "bar" itself is gone and they've redesigned the floor space. They now have some pre-packaged salads but that's not at all near the same.

Fwiw, I never was much of a salad guy outside if it coming with a meal. But I started trying to eat a lot healthier a few years back and was amazed at how many different options these things now had. You can add cherry tomatos, you add egg whites, you can add raisins, you add peppers, you can add sunflower seeds. You get the idea. It was no longer just lettuce, shredded carrots and some dressing packets.

I'm sure most people know this, but's it near impossible to buy the ingridents you prefer in a salad and just make it yourself. At least not from a planining perspective. Lettuce starts going shitty in a just a couple of days, as do a lot of the ingredients. Plus you'll find yourself saving no money, or losing money by having throw stuff away, and spending way too much time.

I'd really like these to come back. I could get a great lunch and have enough leftover for another meal the next day for around 7 bucks, with little to no effort.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 02:30 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: This is kind of a weird thread, I know.  But I'm just curious if anyone else is waiting for these to open back up.  Will they ever open back up?

Just in case somehow anyone isn't aware what I'm talking about, I'm referring to the types of salad bars you'd see in a Kroger.  They have about a million different options and you can just make up your own salad.  You pay by the overall weight, regardless of the ingredients.

Of course once Covid started away they went, which makes total sense.  And I suppose it still makes sense they're not opened just yet.  But what's a little strange is that in the two Krogers I go to that section has been removed entirely.  The "bar" itself is gone and they've redesigned the floor space.  They now have some pre-packaged salads but that's not at all near the same.

Fwiw, I never was much of a salad guy outside if it coming with a meal.  But I started trying to eat a lot healthier a few years back and was amazed at how many different options these things now had.  You can add cherry tomatos, you add egg whites, you can add raisins, you add peppers, you can add sunflower seeds.  You get the idea.  It was no longer just lettuce, shredded carrots and some dressing packets.

I'm sure most people know this, but's it near impossible to buy the ingridents you prefer in a salad and just make it yourself.  At least not from a planining perspective.  Lettuce starts going shitty in a just a couple of days, as do a lot of the ingredients.  Plus you'll find yourself saving no money, or losing money by having throw stuff away, and spending way too much time.

I'd really like these to come back.  I could get a great lunch and have enough leftover for another meal the next day for around 7 bucks, with little to no effort.

can always run to frisches right?
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 03:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: can always run to frisches right?

I would assume theirs is closed as well.

Been a long time since Ive been inside a Frisches but I would guess their salad bar pales in comparison.  The bigger Kroger by me had a salad bar that probably had 50 different ingredients to choose from.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2021, 03:43 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I would assume theirs is closed as well.

Been a long time since Ive been inside a Frisches but I would guess their salad bar pales in comparison.  The bigger Kroger by me had a salad bar that probably had 50 different ingredients to choose from.

they have a good selection but they are also probly closed for dining at the moment idk. 

i just know when i wanted a salad i went to frisches lol (been a while now since i had a salad i think )

But i have used those Kroger ones before mainly to grab one of those full already cooked chickens they have/had
Reply/Quote
You are not alone.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Krogers down here did away with the salad bars long before Covid hit. They haven't been around in a long time. I used to like them as well.
Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 08:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The Krogers down here did away with the salad bars long before Covid hit. They haven't been around in a long time. I used to like them as well.

Really....that sucks! Ours was still going strong when the Covid dropped. It's still there, so hopefully it eventually comes back. I would think they could do it, just require disposable plastic gloves, and maybe an extended sneeze guard. It sure is handy when you don't pack your lunch to work to go grab a quick salad and still eat healthy. I sure miss it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 09:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Really....that sucks! Ours was still going strong when the Covid dropped. It's still there, so hopefully it eventually comes back. I would think they could do it, just require disposable plastic gloves, and maybe an extended sneeze guard. It sure is handy when you don't pack your lunch to work to go grab a quick salad and still eat healthy. I sure miss it.

does everyone elses krogers have a beer growler refill station/ Bar inside the store?
Reply/Quote
I've never been a fan of salad bars or restaurants where customers serve themselves simply because i don't trust many people to not be filthy about it. I've seen just too many people pick food up off floors, scratch their asses, pick their noses, etc., around food. I'm still state certified on food safety and sanitation even though I wouldn't work in a restaurant for love or money again, but having seen too many filthy habits by customers and employees alike I REALLY don't trust those kinds of setups.. I'm definitely no fan of picking up someone else's viruses.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 12:08 PM)grampahol Wrote: I've never been a fan of salad bars or restaurants where customers serve themselves simply because i don't trust many people to not be filthy about it. I've seen just too many people pick food up off floors, scratch their asses, pick their noses, etc., around food. I'm still state certified on food safety and sanitation even though I wouldn't work in a restaurant for love or money again, but having seen too many filthy habits by customers and employees alike I REALLY don't trust those kinds of setups.. I'm definitely no fan of picking up someone else's viruses.

Ughh, don't remind of this stuff. LOL.  Now the next I actually get to go to one I'm going to think of someone with poop hands grabbing the spoon or touching the containers.

One plus for me though I always go to the salad bar in the morning.  It's also in a nicer store.  Hopefully that helps me avoid the nastiness somewhat.
Reply/Quote
I miss the Wendy's Superbar

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 06:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I miss the Wendy's Superbar

I'm wondering if I forgot these existed or if the Wendy's I went to just didn't have one.

I remember their salad bar but I definitely don't remember you being able to get pasta and tacos and shit.

PS Gotta love those old schools prices.  All you can eat for $3.69?!?!?!?  Could you imagine how big Andre Smith's tits would have been if these existed a decade later?
Reply/Quote
I remember Wendy's commercial for their salad bar..It was some robotic looking bimbo who looked really stoned waving back and forth at nothing in particular saying, "I t ' s  t h e  g a r d e n  s p o t  o f  A m e r i c a a a a.." Pretty sure she was ODed on valium at the time.. LOL Every time I see a salad bar I say that to my wife.. "It's the garden spot of America!"..You gotta say is real slow like you've become a zombie..
Remember that the next time you go to a salad bar ..It IS the garden spot of America..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-03-2021, 10:16 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: I'm wondering if I forgot these existed or if the Wendy's I went to just didn't have one.

I remember their salad bar but I definitely don't remember you being able to get pasta and tacos and shit.

PS Gotta love those old schools prices.  All you can eat for $3.69?!?!?!?  Could you imagine how big Andre Smith's tits would have been if these existed a decade later?

When i Worked at wendys we had one of these....    It made for a lot of extra work.
Reply/Quote
42 years on this planet, I've never been to a grocery with a salad bar. That seems weird.

On the other hand, one of the best places in my town to get sushi is the sushi bar in Kroger.
Reply/Quote