Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Rankins "Superbowl or Bust"
He loved the vibe as soon as he got into the building. It seems like the Bengals made the right choice in signing this upbeat, positive minded DT to the club.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/cincinnati-bengals-sheldon-rankins-free-agent-offseason/60996821

Quote:CINCINNATI —
The Cincinnati Bengals are continuing offseason workouts this week and recently welcomed a new face to the facility.

Defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins, an eight-year NFL veteran, arrived for his first offseason as a member of the Bengals, fresh off signing a two-year, $26 million deal in March.

Discussing his first impression of his new home in Cincinnati and the culture around the Bengals' locker room, Rankins explained his sky-high expectations for the 2024 season.

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

"It's Super Bowl or bust," Rankins said Tuesday. "I think that was part of my decision to come here, understanding that my football age is getting up there and to be a part of something special, to be a part of truly going for it all, be a part of doing something different with an organization like this was a big reason for being here."

The 29-year-old Rankins has spent time with three different organizations, including the New Orleans Saints, who drafted him in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

A former Louisville Cardinal, Rankins was with the Saints from 2016 through 2020, starting each game in 2017 and 2018 before injuries limited him to 24 games combined the next two seasons.

After moving on from the Saints, Rankins played two seasons with the New York Jets in 2021 and 2022, totaling six sacks and 75 total tackles during his time in New York.

Rankins signed a one-year deal with the Houston Texans in 2023, totaling six sacks and a fumble recovery in 15 games for the playoff-bound Texans.

Now with his fourth NFL organization, Rankins is impressed by what he sees inside the walls of Paycor Stadium as the Bengals chase down their elusive first Super Bowl ring.

"First class all the way around and just everything is geared toward playing in February in New Orleans," Rankins said.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Loving some of the interior defensive line weapons we have. He had 3 solo tackles in the playoffs against the Ravens last year which is a solid enough contribution. Here's hoping he only gets better against them while seeing them twice a year.

Reply/Quote
I pee'd a little.

Reply/Quote
Damn rights, really love Sheldon's attitude and yeah, this team is in the Superbowl or bust mantra for sure.

If they stay healthy I am seeing a lot of players having their best season this year, Burrow, Chase, Rankins, Moss, Chase Brown, Hubbard, Wilson etc.

And hopefully this is on to a Superbowl victory in New Orleans.
Reply/Quote
I liked this little tidbit from the mothership.
https://www.bengals.com/_mobileview/news/sheldon-rankins-senses-super-bowl-or-bust-paycor-vibe-joe-burrow-s-day-off?hidebanner=true&adobe_mc=TS%3D1717619390%7CMCMID%3D81057938713997962301852430414046571539%7CMCAID%3D2F0767CC8515A2C0-400007A47202EDB4%7CMCORGID%3DF75C3025512D2C1D0A490D44%40AdobeOrg

“Which would be a neat full circle for Rankins, a 2016 first-round pick of the Saints out of Louisville. Nearly ten years ago, but he says he's got plenty left for a defense that lost its Pro Bowl-caliber nose tackle DJ Reader and believes he's a "dominant three-down," player who can be more than a factor against the run.
Last year, he played 59% of the snaps for the Texans' sixth-ranked run defense.
"At this point in my career, 100 percent. No doubt about it," Rankins said. "I have zero doubt in myself to be a dominant three-down guy. Go play against the run, and on third down make money as a pass rusher. Zero doubt in anything I can do at this point in my career."”

Might allow some of the “we are doomed, Reader left, OMG NT” people step back from the ledge.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 05:32 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I liked this little tidbit from the mothership.
https://www.bengals.com/_mobileview/news/sheldon-rankins-senses-super-bowl-or-bust-paycor-vibe-joe-burrow-s-day-off?hidebanner=true&adobe_mc=TS%3D1717619390%7CMCMID%3D81057938713997962301852430414046571539%7CMCAID%3D2F0767CC8515A2C0-400007A47202EDB4%7CMCORGID%3DF75C3025512D2C1D0A490D44%40AdobeOrg

“Which would be a neat full circle for Rankins, a 2016 first-round pick of the Saints out of Louisville. Nearly ten years ago, but he says he's got plenty left for a defense that lost its Pro Bowl-caliber nose tackle DJ Reader and believes he's a "dominant three-down," player who can be more than a factor against the run.
Last year, he played 59% of the snaps for the Texans' sixth-ranked run defense.
"At this point in my career, 100 percent. No doubt about it," Rankins said. "I have zero doubt in myself to be a dominant three-down guy. Go play against the run, and on third down make money as a pass rusher. Zero doubt in anything I can do at this point in my career."”

Might allow some of the “we are doomed, Reader left, OMG NT” people step back from the ledge.

He had a 38.2 PFF run grade last season and a 34.4 PFF run grade in 2021. He did have a PFF run grade of 67.4 in 2022.

His pass rush is nice with a 76.4 last year and he was top 10 in pass rush win rate for DTs last year according to ESPN. Furthermore he was 10th on true pass rush set with an 84.6 grade.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 08:26 PM)J24 Wrote: He had a 38.2 PFF run grade last season and a 34.4 PFF run grade in 2021. He did have a PFF run grade of 67.4 in 2022.

His pass rush is nice with a 76.4 last year and he was top 10 in pass rush win rate for DTs last year according to ESPN. Furthermore he was 10th on true pass rush set  with an 84.6 grade.

Pfft! PFF and their unexplainable metrics that everybody loves when it favors their player and hate when it shows negatively...

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 08:33 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pfft! PFF and their unexplainable metrics that everybody loves when it favors their player and hate when it shows negatively...

Don't shoot the messenger here.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 08:35 PM)J24 Wrote: Don't shoot the messenger here.

I'm not pointing at you specifically (other than this instance) but people love PFF when they say good things about their players and absolutely hate that service when they rate them negatively. Nobody can give a simple explanation of their grading system, and some have called into question their methodology of the play by play grading, as they don't know the play called or assignments issued prior to the snap.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I would note that PFF also rated the other Texan D inside linemen low against the run (Collins 44.5, Hinish 47.5, Davis at 60.7). But somehow the Texans had the third lowest allowed YPC in the NFL and even PFF rated their RDEF as 63.1. Meanwhile we were 31st in the NFL in YPC but PFF only rated us less than 2 pts worse than Houston (61.8). So go figure - stuff like this is why PFF synthetic ratings are not trusted by lots of fans.
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 09:52 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I pee'd a little.

Bad dog!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 11:35 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Bad dog!

LOL

Nicely done.

Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not pointing at you specifically (other than this instance) but people love PFF when they say good things about their players and absolutely hate that service when they rate them negatively. Nobody can give a simple explanation of their grading system, and some have called into question their methodology of the play by play grading, as they don't know the play called or assignments issued prior to the snap.

Spot on Sunset. All I know is Rankins was damn good as a run stopper with the Jets when that was asked of him and they were the best 
run stopping Defense in the league. Also Joelist's numbers show why you shouldn't put much stock in PFF at times. They were the 3rd best
run stopping Defense and all the interior DL had bad grades, how the hell can that be?

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 12:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on Sunset. All I know is Rankins was damn good as a run stopper with the Jets when that was asked of him and they were the best 
run stopping Defense in the league. Also Joelist's numbers show why you shouldn't put much stock in PFF at times. They were the 3rd best
run stopping Defense and all the interior DL had bad grades, how the hell can that be?

Hilarious

Who knows, maybe PFF is basing their ratings partly off of jersey sales numbers?  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 09:55 PM)Joelist Wrote: I would note that PFF also rated the other Texan D inside linemen low against the run (Collins 44.5, Hinish 47.5, Davis at 60.7). But somehow the Texans had the third lowest allowed YPC in the NFL and even PFF rated their RDEF as 63.1. Meanwhile we were 31st in the NFL in YPC but PFF only rated us less than 2 pts worse than Houston (61.8). So go figure - stuff like this is why PFF synthetic ratings are not trusted by lots of fans.
 They had 2 LBers that were top 15 in run defense(Perrymen and Cashman) last season and a top 20 Edge defender against the run in Anderson. 

Also both Collins and Rankins were not re-signed by the team. Maybe their FO didn't like them because of the lack of run defense?
(06-06-2024, 12:23 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Spot on Sunset. All I know is Rankins was damn good as a run stopper with the Jets when that was asked of him and they were the best 

Hilarious

So we should only pay attention to PFF when it favors our players in a positive light? Don't get me wrong I don't think PFF is perfect  but it is still a pretty reliable source.

Also PFF is high on Rankins as a pass rusher!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-05-2024, 08:59 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not pointing at you specifically (other than this instance) but people love PFF when they say good things about their players and absolutely hate that service when they rate them negatively. Nobody can give a simple explanation of their grading system, and some have called into question their methodology of the play by play grading, as they don't know the play called or assignments issued prior to the snap.

(06-06-2024, 02:17 PM)J24 Wrote:  They had 2 LBers that were top 15 in run defense(Perrymen and Cashman) last season and a top 20 Edge defender against the run in Anderson. 

Also both Collins and Rankins were not re-signed by the team. Maybe their FO didn't like them because of the lack of run defense?

So we should only pay attention to PFF when it favors our players in a positive light? Don't get me wrong I don't think PFF is perfect  but it is still a pretty reliable source.

PFF is only useful for counting stats and physical data.

Anything that uses any of their metrics or opinions should be steered clear of
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Who knows, maybe PFF is basing their ratings partly off of jersey sales numbers?  Ninja

Maybe lol

(06-06-2024, 02:17 PM)J24 Wrote:  They had 2 LBers that were top 15 in run defense(Perrymen and Cashman) last season and a top 20 Edge defender against the run in Anderson. 

That is the thing, we all are saying it is a bit in between. You have to go back and watch the film to really see who was doing what
and try and see what the player's assignment was in order to truly judge. It is somewhere in between I am sure, Rankins is a better
run stopper than the PFF grades say as that was a top 3 run stopping Defense with him on it. Linebackers and Ends are not there to 
free up the rest of the Defense to make tackles in the run game, that is the DT's job.

Rankins was very good at stopping the run in his other years when he was asked to do so. Rankins was asked to be a pass rusher 
last year for the Texans and did a great job. We will see.

(06-06-2024, 02:55 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: PFF is only useful for counting stats and physical data.

Anything that uses any of their metrics or opinions should be steered clear of

Also depends on the position, Linebackers are particularly hard to judge with PFF.
Reply/Quote

We were in a competition with Houston for Rankins, thus his high price tag.  They wanted him back, but we were desperate.

Reply/Quote