Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Elite D-line in 2 picks - 1st round Jonathan Allen DT, 2nd round Jordan Willis DE
(04-14-2017, 01:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I'm not a fan of Willis at all.    I've watched some more tape of the guy recently    .  Don't like his game at all.   He appears to have a lack of instincts.    Doesn't seem to have many moves either.  Looks stiff out there .    The more I watched him the more I hated his game tape.   Looks the part but deosnt play it.

This puzzles me.  Did you know that he played mostly LDE in college and had to first read the handoff from a large number of zone-read offenses in the Big 12?  He unselfishly executed his assignment, and held up against the run while setting the edge on that side.  On obvious passing downs, that is where he made his money.  He would show strength in not getting pushed wide, and had a solid number of pass-rushing maneuvers.  

To generate the kind of TFL and sack numbers he did as a LDE was more than impressive.  He also virtually never gets tossed aside, a la Myles Garrett.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-16-2017, 08:47 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This puzzles me.  Did you know that he played mostly LDE in college and had to first read the handoff from a large number of zone-read offenses in the Big 12?  He unselfishly executed his assignment, and held up against the run while setting the edge on that side.  On obvious passing downs, that is where he made his money.  He would show strength in not getting pushed wide, and had a solid number of pass-rushing maneuvers.  

To generate the kind of TFL and sack numbers he did as a LDE was more than impressive.  He also virtually never gets tossed aside, a la Myles Garrett.  

What gets my attention with Jordan Willis is his Combine 40 time of 4.53 at around 6 foot 4 and 255 pounds.
Myles Garrett posted a 4.64 at 6 foot 4 1/2 272 pounds at the Combine.
Von Miller posted a 4.53 at his Combine at around 6 foot 3 and 246 pounds then a 4.49 at his Pro Day.
I seriously doubt Jordan Willis will be in Von Miller's league but the Bengals could use some speed on the D-line.
Reply/Quote
Every year I hope for DL in 1. I spend a lot of drafts drinking.

I would have no issue taking DL in the first two rounds. Hell, I'd write Marvin a 'thank you' card as opposed to cursing him for drafting at positions we've got too many people to play.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 12:51 PM)depthchart Wrote: What gets my attention with Jordan Willis is his Combine 40 time of 4.53 at around 6 foot 4 and 255 pounds.
Myles Garrett posted a 4.64 at 6 foot 4 1/2 272 pounds at the Combine.
Von Miller posted a 4.53 at his Combine at around 6 foot 3 and 246 pounds then a 4.49 at his Pro Day.
I seriously doubt Jordan Willis will be in Von Miller's league but the Bengals could use some speed on the D-line.

Yeah, i agree he probably won't be in Von Miller's league, but still, Willis would help us immensely with his
speed to go along with pass rush ability and run stopping ability. Barnett is a fine pass rusher but he is not
near as physical as Willis and we could get Willis in the 2nd round most likely.

To me, Willis is more of a value pick than Barnett which would open up that first pick to BPA.
Reply/Quote
Willis is stiff as hell. Not sure what game tape your watching. He's not a pass rushing RDE which we desperately need. Watch a entire game tape not just his Highlights
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 10:57 AM)Au165 Wrote: Allen is a 3 technique meaning he and Geno won't see the field together unless they are in together on passing downs. We may eventually kick Allen outside on early downs, but that probably wouldn't be next year. I like Willis, but I am not so much a fan of doubling up on D line in the first two rounds.

with several things we'll want.. I very doubt we double down on D-line, but Allen won't last to #9 anyhow.
Reply/Quote
Our defensive line hasn't been able to get pressure from the front 4 for the past 2-3 seasons. This was what made our defense.

Couple that with LB's who aren't good pass rushers and you have an issue.

It would be great to get a LB that can rush the passer too at some point.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2017, 07:55 PM)redwood Wrote: with several things we'll want.. I very doubt we double down on D-line, but Allen won't last to #9 anyhow.

Yeah...and hopefully Billings has some pass rushing potential. I feel like we'll get more production out of the DT next to Atkins this year...whereas Peko just occupied space and lineman.
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 01:14 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I'm not a fan of Willis at all.    I've watched some more tape of the guy recently    .  Don't like his game at all.   He appears to have a lack of instincts.    Doesn't seem to have many moves either.  Looks stiff out there .    The more I watched him the more I hated his game tape.   Looks the part but deosnt play it.

i've seen several mocks showing Willis coming off the board at the bottom of rd #1 so I doubt he'll be there for our 2rd rd pick anyway.....
better option at #2 imo is Mixon....he's a 1st rd talent & we need an upgrade at RB anyway...he's BPA too at this point
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2017, 07:02 PM)Benton Wrote: Every year I hope for DL in 1. I spend a lot of drafts drinking.

I would have no issue taking DL in the first two rounds. Hell, I'd write Marvin a 'thank you' card as opposed to cursing him for drafting at positions we've got too many people to play.

I understand your "D"-line love but.....
we need to go BPA

& at pick #9 that's probably not a D-line player....

probably TE Howard, LB Foster or a WR

at our rd #2 BPA could be RB Mixon....

& if that's how it plays out I say go w/ it....don't reach for a DE just b/c we need one...
Reply/Quote
(04-14-2017, 12:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Want a better defensive line?  Get a better free safety.

I was going to say improve the LBs (run stopping especially but also pass coverage) but yeah, this also works. 

Reply/Quote
Yeah the Bengals haven't really adjusted some of their personnel to the passing league that the NFL is. Our LB's aren't really pass rushers or TE coverage guys and our safeties are more run stoppers.

Our defense is built to play in the AFC North from 10 years ago.

Replacing Maualuga with Minter will help.
Reply/Quote