Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analyze our Roster
Interesting tidbit I noticed, we kept 6 LB's with 3 being rookies. Of course we get Burfict back in week #4, but have we ever kept 3 rookie LB's?

I love it as all 3 seem to be very good athletes and Lawson may be a bit of a hybrid. Should we a veteran LB off waivers to help this young group?

What are your thoughts on our roster or interesting tidbits you noticed?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Interesting tidbit I noticed, we kept 6 LB's with 3 being rookies. Of course we get Burfict back in week #4, but have we ever kept 3 rookie LB's?

I love it as all 3 seem to be very good athletes and Lawson may be a bit of a hybrid. Should we a veteran LB off waivers to help this young group?

What are your thoughts on our roster or interesting tidbits you noticed?

We had at least 2 in 04 and '05, with Pollack being a hybrid as well...
Reply/Quote
Interesting tidbit, and legit question, from Dehner:

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Interesting tidbit from Dehner:

We are young, but for some reason I have thrilled because I love our vets kept and think the influx of young and fast talent could change this team. I am especially excited for our defense and our running game with Mixon.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Essentially keeping 5 TEs. Eifert again dealing with a new injury issue. Could be looking to the future with no Eifert next year.

Who do you extend Burfict one hit away from a year long suspension? Eifert another year older with another injury before even playing in real games? Or the piano mans boy who has been playing below average C for years now?

You know we are looking to extend someone. We have cash to spend. I hope its Burfict but fear it may be Bodine. I dont think you can invest long term in Imhurt.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 12:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: We had at least 2 in 04 and '05, with Pollack being a hybrid as well...

I forgot we got Pollack and Thurman in same year right? Thurman could have been a stud if not for being a moron off the field.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I forgot we got Pollack and Thurman in same year right? Thurman could have been a stud if not for being a moron off the field.
Yup.  And Landor Johnson and Calleb Miller were both from the '04 draft.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:00 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Interesting tidbit, and legit question, from Dehner:

I maybe wrong, but I am confident this coaching staff and FO is trying to win in 2017. I know rookie mistakes and guys with no NFL snaps could be a concern until you look at their preseason tapes. I can't recall a more impressive rookie preseason ever and our first pick was injured and did little to nothing. I am hopeful John Ross comes back quickly and these rookies infuse talent and enthusiasm creating a winning combination quickly.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:20 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Yup.  And Landor Johnson and Calleb Miller were both from the '04 draft.

I met Miller at a Bengals radio show Lapham was doing in Fairfield years ago.  I have to say, the guy had small calves and was just small in general for a LB. He looked more like a safety than a LB so not surprised he did not make it in the NFL.

Landon Johnson was a decent, but not great player for us. I will take Lawson, Evans and Nickerson all day long over the 2 in the "04" draft.

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:03 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Essentially keeping 5 TEs. Eifert again dealing with a new injury issue. Could be looking to the future with no Eifert next year.

Who do you extend Burfict one hit away from a year long suspension? Eifert another year older with another injury before even playing in real games? Or the piano mans boy who has been playing below average C for years now?

You know we are looking to extend someone. We have cash to spend. I hope its Burfict but fear it may be Bodine. I dont think you can invest long term in Imhurt.

If only Eifert's health could have been predicted and a proper contingency been put in place (early round TE instead of 2 WRs)...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I forgot we got Pollack and Thurman in same year right? Thurman could have been a stud if not for being a moron off the field.

Yea, Pollack 1st, Thurman 2nd, and even Henry 3rd RD 05 draft. Those 3 could have been awesome.
Reply/Quote

Didn't Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller come in the same draft too?
Reply/Quote
Yes the Bengals got young...but they needed to get younger and faster. IMO they got rid of the correct deadwood vets and replaced them with younger faster players with upside.
Reply/Quote
Just looking at the roster right now and realizing I have no idea who Cethan Carter is. Did my attention lapse enough the preseason that completely missed an up and coming player? Can he block?

Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 01:42 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I met Miller at a Bengals radio show Lapham was doing in Fairfield years ago.  I have to say, the guy had small calves and was just small in general for a LB. He looked more like a safety than a LB so not surprised he did not make it in the NFL.

Landon Johnson was a decent, but not great player for us. I will take Lawson, Evans and Nickerson all day long over the 2 in the "04" draft.

Caleb Miller can show his kids that he made the cover of Sports Illustrated, and looked good doing so in knocking down a future Hall of Famer.

[Image: SPR20061002.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The roster for 2017 looks young, built for speed, and a definite departure from the previous iteration of the Cincinnati Bengals under Marvin Lewis. I think the coordinators on both sides of the ball had significant input during free agency and during the draft so that, given correct coaching, a team can play together for several years without losing any pieces.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:22 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The roster for 2017 looks young, built for speed, and a definite departure from the previous iteration of the Cincinnati Bengals under Marvin Lewis. I think the coordinators on both sides of the ball had significant input during free agency and during the draft so that, given correct coaching, a team can play together for several years without losing any pieces.

So, are you thinking that this is a sort of "mini rebuild"?  Because that is what it seems like, to me.  Let's just look at the OL as an isolated example.  They chose to allow arguably their two best OL to go to FA, without signing any suitable replacements, other than the often injured Andre Smith. (take that for what you will)  Then, they draft one sorry guy, in a late round, that was injured most of last season, and then proceed to cut him. 

So now, we are left to the demise of a pair of underperforming, and seriously over drafted OTs, and a scrap heap RG that finally stayed healthy through a preseason.  Meanwhile, our only real backup to either unimpressive OT, is an often injured, streaky at best, chronic over eater.  That offense had one (1) good drive in all of preseason, the first drive versus Washington.  After that, the Redskins quickly dialed in on the predictable play calling and proceeded to shut things down.   Meanwhile, they keep lauding the youth and speed movement on a defense that has looked less than overwhelming in preseason.  Does any of that say that the Bengals are looking to win anything this year, to you?  Me either.

I kept waiting, and waiting for the Bengals to pull off some sort of deal to bring in a capable veteran or two on the OL, to at least give the illusion that they want to give the offense a fighting chance.  Crickets...

As of now, this team is a couple of missed blocks away from a 3-13 season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 06:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, are you thinking that this is a sort of "mini rebuild"?  Because that is what it seems like, to me.  Let's just look at the OL as an isolated example.  They chose to allow arguably their two best OL to go to FA, without signing any suitable replacements, other than the often injured Andre Smith. (take that for what you will)  Then, they draft one sorry guy, in a late round, that was injured most of last season, and then proceed to cut him. 

So now, we are left to the demise of a pair of underperforming, and seriously over drafted OTs, and a scrap heap RG that finally stayed healthy through a preseason.  Meanwhile, our only real backup to either unimpressive OT, is an often injured, streaky at best, chronic over eater.  That offense had one (1) good drive in all of preseason, the first drive versus Washington.  After that, the Redskins quickly dialed in on the predictable play calling and proceeded to shut things down.   Meanwhile, they keep lauding the youth and speed movement on a defense that has looked less than overwhelming in preseason.  Does any of that say that the Bengals are looking to win anything this year, to you?  Me either.

I kept waiting, and waiting for the Bengals to pull off some sort of deal to bring in a capable veteran or two on the OL, to at least give the illusion that they want to give the offense a fighting chance.  Crickets...

As of now, this team is a couple of missed blocks away from a 3-13 season.

I have lots of respect for you, but I think your 3-13 prediction will look really foolish within 6 weeks of the season. They had a plan by drafting the 2 OT's 2 years ago and getting them ready. You feel they are not ready, I disagree. Zeitler signed a great contract for a good but not great OG so goodbye and great job by FO in my opinion to match that offer.

I think to base a prediction on preseason is not real bright. But we will see if you were right or just pessimistic in the end because they did not do it your way..

Reply/Quote
3-13 I just can't see that happening either
Reply/Quote
I see a roster that if anything got faster especially with 2nd and 3rd guys on the depth chart.
I see a healthy offense with Bernard and Eifert return.
Bernard was the only RB for awhile that could make guys miss in space .
Now Mixon can do that and gIve you power between the tackles.
If anything Mixon and Ross can create big plays out of routine plays. AJ and Tyler were about the only 2 that could do that before
I think after awhile Trey Hopkins might be the X factor on offense
Zeitler was good but overpaid by the Browns .and too boot Zeitler had a very average preseason in 2017.
Hopkins IMO is stronger than Zeitler he just needs game experience
Theres alot to get excited about on defense
Young pass rushers that can come in waves. Guys that can have fresh legs in the 4th q.
The lb ers are faster and not slow prodding I.e Rey Karlos.
Vontaze is lighter more explosive
The seconday is now cohesive in its 2nd yr under Coyle.
The combination of health.. coaches having another yr under their belt ....just faster players can only be good for a team that lost 3 of its best playmakers for 18 games in 2016 and a kicker that cost us 3 4 games
Reply/Quote