Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
And so it begins...
The "Patriot Party" has officially formed.
I'm saying that they'll reap 30% of the GOP voters, if they put the work in and clear all the ballot access laws.
The ballot access laws are SO challenging to third parties though.
What say you ?

[Image: Ebg7NZLI0P2AslU_HUGVR15qmxLDClSLKx-h4N0A...authuser=0]
Reply/Quote
I hadn't heard this. I wouldn't be surprised to see a good chunk of dens migrate there too.

Ultimately, though, I think you hit the nail on the head. Election laws,fundraising laws,etc will probably be the biggest hurdle to them having any kind of impact. It doesn't matter if they have significant support by voters, if they can't navigate getting on ballots, they're just wasting time.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Another problem will be how much Trump and his grifter family takes from the money collected.

And if they get caught.  Because there is no way they will understand or follow election laws.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
I feel like I said not long ago this would happen. Donald Trump will be a thorn in the side of the Republican party for the next four years. I think the timing of this, like most things Trump does, is completely botched. Doing this before the Senate trial isn't winning him any friends and you got to think he is doing it as part of his claim he'd try to primary any Republican who supported impeachment.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 03:41 PM)Au165 Wrote: I feel like I said not long ago this would happen. Donald Trump will be a thorn in the side of the Republican party for the next four years. I think the timing of this, like most things Trump does, is completely botched. Doing this before the Senate trial isn't winning him any friends and you got to think he is doing it as part of his claim he'd try to primary any Republican who supported impeachment.

It could be done with the timing in mind.
I know ballot access laws are an incredible hurdle, but does a party have to have ballot access in a state for a Rep or Senator to change affiliation to that party ?
If not, those who support Trump in Congress could change affiliation and grandstand to have people call their Senators to vote against conviction.

Now, that might not be the only defectors of their party.
Rumor is that Justin Amash has talked a few into joining the Libertarian Party.
Reply/Quote
It will be interesting to see how many Trump supporting GOPers are going to have the nerve to move to a 3rd party. My guess is they will talk about it, but the fear of helping an evil democrat get elected will be too much for them to handle on election day and they'll stick with a "party that can win."
Reply/Quote
From what I read, some people tried to capitalize on the name and have created PACs and groups, but the Trump campaign is officially distancing themselves. If Trump wants to remain relevant, he has to work within the GOP. He has to have Trump aligned populists win close primaries, especially in heavy red districts.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 05:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It will be interesting to see how many Trump supporting GOPers are going to have the nerve to move to a 3rd party.  My guess is they will talk about it, but the fear of helping an evil democrat get elected will be too much for them to handle on election day and they'll stick with a "party that can win."

If half of the amount that claim loyalty to Trump over the GOP move to the Patriot Party, Democrats will dominate for quite some time. 
Many will probably donate, but fail to switch. 
I kind of wish we could just eliminate parties and adopt ranked choice voting.
Reply/Quote
I don't know why anybody would want to join any political party. Just try to educate yourself about the issues & pull the lever that closest resembles your ideology.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2021, 05:24 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: If half of the amount that claim loyalty to Trump over the GOP move to the Patriot Party, Democrats will dominate for quite some time. 
Many will probably donate, but fail to switch. 
I kind of wish we could just eliminate parties and adopt ranked choice voting.

I'd wager a 3rd party messing up the GOP's chances would be what it takes to actually change things up.  I can't help but feel like Ross Perot being allowed to debate and have exposure in 1992 leading to him helping Clinton seal the win (though, I guess that is up for debate) is what led to the elimination of 3rd party exposure/debates.

Trump is a strong wild card because he doesn't need national exposure to get a following and support.  I still think republicans are going to be too afraid of democrats winning to throw their votes at him, though.  
Reply/Quote