Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-17-2021, 11:17 PM)Benton Wrote: We definitely need someone dependable at tackle. You feel comfortable with a one year vet and a guy who played half a season in two years? There's plenty of wide receiver help in the draft and already on the roster.

Mellow

Yes. I feel better about the T position than I have since about 2015. Now G otoh...

But we can get one of the best G’s in the draft at 38.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:17 PM)Benton Wrote: We definitely need someone dependable at tackle. You feel comfortable with a one year vet and a guy who played half a season in two years? There's plenty of wide receiver help in the draft and already on the roster.

Mellow

While I prefer Sewell, if the Bengals do take Chase in the 1st...they could possibly have their pick of Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Davis, Radunz, Humphrey or Dickerson in the 2nd. 

If they take Sewell in the 1st, you're hoping Bateman or Marshall falls. If not, then you probably have to reach a little for Dyami Brown. Remember, they're wanting someone that can be a 'true outside receiver' and be a vertical threat. 
Reply/Quote
I would rate receiver as a pretty low priority, especially since Bengals are not 1 player away from being Super Bowl contenders. We need to build a good foundation of a team before we add the playmakers. We have an injury prone OT and another OT that is on a 1 year deal. You can have a good team without great receivers you cannot have a good team with a non-functioning offensive line. Even if you think Chase will help us more do you really want to risk having Joe Burrow get injured again because of a shaky offensive line?
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If the Bengals take Chase in the 1st...they could possibly have their pick of Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Davis, Radunz, Humphrey or Dickerson in the 2nd. 

If they take Sewell in the 1st, you're hoping Bateman or Marshall falls. If not, then you probably have to reach a little for Dyami Brown. Remember, they're wanting someone that can be a 'true outside receiver' and be a vertical threat. 

Would you give up a 3rd next year to move from 38 to 28-30th this year to get the guy you want? That's about what it would cost, @120 points on the trade chart to move back into the first. I would have no issue with this. Be a bit aggressive this year and don't take the scraps that fall to you. 

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 10:42 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yep. I agree. 

I would say having an elite LT is tied for the 2nd most valuable position with elite pass rusher (the most valuable position being an elite QB).

I would be thrilled to grab the elite LT. If we had a chance at an elite WR or an elite pass rusher next year, I'd chose the elite pass rusher. WR fits in there closely after LT/pass rusher in my value chart. QB highest. Elite corner/safety/WR are in that high mid tier of value.

We already have 2 really good wideouts. It's easy to build off of that. It's not easy to build an offense behind a shaky offensive line. It's not easy to defend an elite offense without a pass rush either. These are the most critical components to success in my mind. You can win with an average QB if you have an elite offensive line and pass rush. You can't win jack with great weapons with no blocking help.

THIS!!!  I agree.  Thank you!
TIER 1 (QB, T, Edge) > TIER 2 (WR, DT, DB, LB, G, C) > TIER 3 (TE, S, RB)

Btw, seems like many former Bengal greats that care about the organization seem to lean towards Sewell. Takes players to know what's best. I trust those 2 legends.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:54 PM)Burma Wrote: Would you give up a 3rd next year to move from 38 to 28-30th this year to get the guy you want? That's about what it would cost, @120 points on the trade chart to move back into the first. I would have no issue with this. Be a bit aggressive this year and don't take the scraps that fall to you. 

If they take Chase, I would absolutely move up for a guy like Vera-Tucker.

If they take Sewell, I would have no issue with moving up for Bateman or Marshall.

In both situations, you're solidifying 2 positions of need with extremely talented players.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 12:36 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they take Chase, I would absolutely move up for a guy like Vera-Tucker.

If they take Sewell, I would have no issue with moving up for Bateman or Marshall.

In both situations, you're solidifying 2 positions of need with extremely talented players.

I would also do a 3rd to move up for these players.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 10:26 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don;t see that way at all.. I see much depth in Wr also and we don;t know the run on tackles or wrs how that will go plus others like me are strong on the believe we have control at #5 we don;t have that control in 2nd round and I think we all can agree Oline is still the most need position so why risk the unknown in 2nd round if Sewell is there.... I don;t see people saying people are idiots that want Chase over Sewell I think they are trying to show the Chase lovers that reality is Oline is still the most need and we for sure can pick the best prospect in Sewell at 5.. if you asked me if i be happy ending up with few of those players on your list as our first Oline with only picking up Reiff in FA.. I would say no way. 

I recommend rereading the threads - the only thing missing is the literal word "idiot". 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yes. I feel better about the T position than I have since about 2015. Now G otoh...

But we can get one of the best G’s in the draft at 38.

I'd disagree.

A 32 year old who was the best mid-level tackle after the big free agent names and a guy who hasn't played a full season in his first two years combined. That's what we're hoping is going to protect burrow for the next year?

Personally, I feel better about our receiver corps than I have in a few years. We're not just hoping aj green comes back like superman. We were moving the ball with no running game and a bad line. Imagine what it would be like with a decent line and a running game.

(04-17-2021, 11:42 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: While I prefer Sewell, f the Bengals do take Chase in the 1st...they could possibly have their pick of Cosmi, Eichenberg, Leatherwood, Davis, Radunz, Humphrey or Dickerson in the 2nd. 

I'll be surprised if leatherwood is there. I like cosmi and eichenberg, but if we're talking contributing next season, neither one is much better at this point than what's on the roster. Honestly, if that was the plan, we should've kept hart. Dude wasn't good and had a horrible attitude, but I'd love to see the odds of jonah and reiff both playing a full season.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 09:56 PM)Joelist Wrote: I guess what I am wondering about is why some in the Sewell camp on this forum have been condescending and borderline insulting to other forum members and outright insulting to players on the team. All this even while a LOT of the Chase camp want us to go OL in both 2 and 3.

Remember the draft is longer than one round and the OL class a a lot deeper than just Sewell.

Alijah Vera Tucker
Rashawn Slater
Christian Darrisaw
Alex Leatherwood
Jaylen Mayfield
Wyatt Davis
Aaron Banks
Landon Dickerson

ALL of these prospects are considered by most scouts to be plug and play. I could list more.

I would guess because of PTSD caused by the negligent abuse many witnessed our franchise QB take last year. It was traumatizing and has caused some to lash out. We watched our red headed QB come in like gang busters and lead us to the playoffs year after year until the OL fell apart and our perennial playoff QB turned into a scrub because he had no protection. Then our shiny new franchises best hope comes in and instantly gets the shit beat out of him and suffers an injury that not long ago would have probably ended his career.

You got a shot at taking the first Samoan to win the Outland and first Sophomore OL to win the Outland who garnered Heisman hype as an OL. And we are talking about taking a WR over him... in the same offseason that our last top 10 WR moved along quietly in free agency after being a mega bust.

Sure any pick could bust. But only one will serve as a bodyguard to our franchise QB if he doesn’t bust. The other if he doesn’t bust will be wide open by himself because the defense is in the backfield celebrating a sack
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:11 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I would guess because of PTSD caused by the negligent abuse many witnessed our franchise QB take last year. It was traumatizing and has caused some to lash out. We watched our red headed QB come in like gang busters and lead us to the playoffs year after year until the OL fell apart and our perennial playoff QB turned into a scrub because he had no protection. Then our shiny new franchises best hope comes in and instantly gets the shit beat out of him and suffers an injury that not long ago would have probably ended his career.

You got a shot at taking the first Samoan to win the Outland and first Sophomore OL to win the Outland who garnered Heisman hype as an OL. And we are talking about taking a WR over him... in the same offseason that our last top 10 WR moved along quietly in free agency after being a mega bust.

Sure any pick could bust. But only one will serve as a bodyguard to our franchise QB if he doesn’t bust. The other if he doesn’t bust will be wide open by himself because the defense is in the backfield celebrating a sack

PTSD doesn't justify the behavior. It is possible to disagree without animosity. 

Me, I figure whether we go Chase or Sewell we are getting a top flight prospect. I understand the Sewell camp reasoning even if I think they tend to undersell some of our players - which I think is unneeded. You can like Jonah and Reiff AND still want Sewell. In the same vein you can like Boyd and Higgins AND still want Chase. 
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:05 AM)Benton Wrote: I'd disagree.

A 32 year old who was the best mid-level tackle after the big free agent names and a guy who hasn't played a full season in his first two years combined. That's what we're hoping is going to protect burrow for the next year?

Personally, I feel better about our receiver corps than I have in a few years. We're not just hoping aj green comes back like superman. We were moving the ball with no running game and a bad line. Imagine what it would be like with a decent line and a running game.

I'll be surprised if leatherwood is there. I like cosmi and eichenberg, but if we're talking contributing next season, neither one is much better at this point than what's on the roster. Honestly, if that was the plan, we should've kept hart. Dude wasn't good and had a horrible attitude, but I'd love to see the odds of jonah and reiff both playing a full season.

I do agree with him on one thing, this is a deep draft on o-line. With all of the FA money spent on defense, I'd love to see them draft OT in the first, G in the 2nd, C or G in the 3rd and C or G in the 4th. Fix the o-line for years to come without having to over pay for a FA lineman. Let them grow as Mixon finally gets a chance to earn his money.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 10:42 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: Yep. I agree. 

I would say having an elite LT is tied for the 2nd most valuable position with elite pass rusher (the most valuable position being an elite QB).

I would be thrilled to grab the elite LT. If we had a chance at an elite WR or an elite pass rusher next year, I'd chose the elite pass rusher. WR fits in there closely after LT/pass rusher in my value chart. QB highest. Elite corner/safety/WR are in that high mid tier of value.

We already have 2 really good wideouts. It's easy to build off of that. It's not easy to build an offense behind a shaky offensive line. It's not easy to defend an elite offense without a pass rush either. These are the most critical components to success in my mind. You can win with an average QB if you have an elite offensive line and pass rush. You can't win jack with great weapons with no blocking help.

I used to be in this line of thinking, but analytics say otherwise.  WR's are second only to QB's in Wins Above Replacement, followed by DB's and TE's.  The highest graded WR in WAR last season was over double the highest graded LT.  

It makes sense when you think about it, too.  There's a number of different ways a DC can circumvent an elite LT.  He can run stunts, blitzes, and/or change where guys line up to get his best pass rushers better matchups.  An elite WR, however, he's forced to assign his best CB to and/or assign multiple players to.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 02:51 AM)Joelist Wrote: PTSD doesn't justify the behavior. It is possible to disagree without animosity. 

Me, I figure whether we go Chase or Sewell we are getting a top flight prospect. I understand the Sewell camp reasoning even if I think they tend to undersell some of our players - which I think is unneeded. You can like Jonah and Reiff AND still want Sewell. In the same vein you can like Boyd and Higgins AND still want Chase. 

I honestly feel like some of the Team Sewell posters think they can change the Bengals' mind as to the pick, as if they really care what we think.  Therefore, Team Chase and Team Pitts need to be stamped out in order to present a unified front.  

It's weird because I've never seen so many people get worked up over the prospect of taking a guy that almost everyone acknowledges will be a great player.  
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 12:36 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they take Chase, I would absolutely move up for a guy like Vera-Tucker.

This is the most sensible post on the boards.

I just wish we'd all agree and move on.

Hopefully the Front Office goes this route because it makes the most sense for value and needs.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 11:54 PM)Burma Wrote: Would you give up a 3rd next year to move from 38 to 28-30th this year to get the guy you want? That's about what it would cost, @120 points on the trade chart to move back into the first. I would have no issue with this. Be a bit aggressive this year and don't take the scraps that fall to you. 
Yep.  Because being aggressive this year is worth giving up draft capital next draft.  It all leads to further develop Burrow and see if they need to fire Zac if he's incompetent on offense.  Load his offense and let it go.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I’ve been Team Chase, but honestly that’s because we haven’t had the ability to beat anyone deep since AJ got hurt. However, I do think Sewell is the safer and smarter move.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 07:36 PM)wanga Wrote: Just 2 guys airing their opinions like everyone else.
Albeit 2 legendary guys who know the inside and outs of the frontline of the gridiron battle like very few of us other opinion expressers.
There appears to be a definite leaning, real or imagined, from Bengaldom itself towards Chase. Are they now capable of smokescreens and mirrors?
They’ve seemed to be a ‘show your hand’ organisation but perhaps times are a changing.

No, as far as Munoz you may want to read up in his involvement with Sewell...Munoz runs a camp and Sewell attended his camp coming out of HS and Munoz said that he was the best prospect he ever saw coming out....This is not someone "airing their opinion"....this is the only HOF player in the history of the Bengals, that played the position and has worked with Sewell face to face.  His opinion should mean a ton and his opinion should be taken to heart....this line is atrocious and needs to be improved for years to come....Sewell, if there, should be the only thought.....run to the podium with the card in hand....This is as easy as taking Burrow last year....Paul Brown's first ever pick was an OL....you know why?   Because that is where you build a team.
Reply/Quote
I certainly believe Sewell would help the team more when it's third or fourth and goal from the one yard line, or short yardage situations generally. I think too much emphasis is being placed on padding Burrow's passing stats. The best way to help an offense, and by extension the QB, is to be good at both running and passing the pig.

And if Sewell is as advertised, he's certainly more of a "unicorn" than Chase. Since he's so big maybe we should refer to him as a magic dragon.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 09:39 PM)Beaker Wrote: Sewell is the smoke screen. Gotta keep people convinced we want him so nobody jumps up to #4 and takes Chase ahead of us. We will get the best non QB player available, and address the OL on days 2 and 3.

Agree, and that's the best move drafting in the top 5.  

Once upon a time running backs were considered valuable high draft choices.  Not the case anymore.  Top picks should be reserved for game changing players.  I like Sewell but he just doesn't offer that game in and game out.

Frank Pollack is the X factor.  Give him a couple good OL in RD2 and maybe R3 and let him do his thing.
Reply/Quote