Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
(04-17-2021, 02:52 PM)Burma Wrote: Exactly, You can raise up a player without degrading another. It's not a zero-sum game here. Chase it awesome, Pitts is awesome, and Sewell is awesome. Tie breaker goes to need.

This....and what you said earlier too.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 03:02 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: That's fair.

Did you also question if AJ was adding anything as an x WR?

I mean... the FO did tag the guy.  Was there not some intended value for his position?

He had target #s as well.

I'm not sure on Green anymore after the rumor of "he just didn't wanna run those routes" and didn't like the offense. If he tears it up, we'll know. Still a mistake, if dude's not happy in your offense, you should trade him. But on the physical side, if he was just bagging it last season, they made the right call retaining him from the health side of the coin.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 03:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Are former players really "in the know" I doubt they have spent their free time watching film on draft prospects.

Alot draft analysts like Zeirlein, DJ, and Brugler have Chase rsted higher than Sewell and I know at the very least those 3 guys have watched a ton of tape on each prospect.

Maybe not Munoz...does a little announcing, don't know of anything else. However, doesn't Willie run a camp for college kids coming to the league? I'd say he might be more in in that kinda thing than one would think.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 07:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not sure on Green anymore after the rumor of "he just didn't wanna run those routes" and didn't like the offense. If he tears it up, we'll know. Still a mistake, if dude's not happy in your offense, you should trade him. But on the physical side, if he was just bagging it last season, they made the right call retaining him from the health side of the coin.

I never liked the tag.  Way too much to pay AJ.

They could've used that towards O-line and we wouldn't even be talking about Sewell or Burrow's knee...  probably. LOL

After all we're cursed.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 09:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This.

Obviously it’s interesting to hear former players opinions, but let’s be honest, they’re merely arguing off position in most cases, rather than actually preferring one particular prospect over the other.

Wasn't there a couple former WRs saying take the lineman? Ninja

Reply/Quote
Folks I'd be happy if they picked up a handful of O-linemen in this draft.

As long as they improve the blocking. Whether it be at #5 or not.

Chase & Pitts are talented but I'm not gonna cry if they pass on them.
Reply/Quote
I really don’t care what former players say, as much as I may respect them. The game is fundamentally different now to such an extent that wide receivers may seriously add more winning value than offensive tackles. I’d have never said that 15 years ago.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 07:59 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I never liked the tag.  Way too much to pay AJ.

They could've used that towards O-line and we wouldn't even be talking about Sewell or Burrow's knee...  probably. LOL

After all we're cursed.

True...and I believe he should've been traded regardless...but I can get the logic if they thought he was truly healthy, and he just kinda said eff it without going nuclear like Dunlap.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Wasn't there a couple former WRs saying take the lineman? Ninja

I meant that they just want OL, not necessarily big on Sewell himself.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I meant that they just want OL, not necessarily big on Sewell himself.

Ah...I misunderstood...seemed some others were kinda hinting at that. If they take Chase, what I'd like to see em do, is maybe trade up into the first with future picks, and make sure they get one of the top OTs left if that's what it takes. I'd be for Pitts too. I just want them to take the next maybe can't miss OT in the draft rather than hoping one falls, or taking a guy that probably can't start day 1 later on. I just believe it's time to solidify the line for the foreseeable future. FA tackles, and sometimes guards, can cost a lot of money.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:42 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Ah...I misunderstood...seemed some others were kinda hinting at that. If they take Chase, what I'd like to see em do, is maybe trade up into the first with future picks, and make sure they get one of the top OTs left if that's what it takes. I'd be for Pitts too. I just want them to take the next maybe can't miss OT in the draft then hoping one falls, or taking a guy that probably can't start day 1 later on. I just believe it's time to solidify the line for the foreseeable future. FA tackles, and sometimes guards, can cost a lot of money.

If all it cost is a single 3rd from next year I would trade back up to grab a Vera Tucker or a Darrisaw in a heartbeat.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If all it cost is a single 3rd from next year I would trade back up to grab a Vera Tucker or a Darrisaw in a heartbeat.

Same thing for Marshall if they should pick Sewell at 5 in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ah...I misunderstood...seemed some others were kinda hinting at that. If they take Chase, what I'd like to see em do, is maybe trade up into the first with future picks, and make sure they get one of the top OTs left if that's what it takes. I'd be for Pitts too. I just want them to take the next maybe can't miss OT in the draft then hoping one falls, or taking a guy that probably can't start day 1 later on. I just believe it's time to solidify the line for the foreseeable future. FA tackles, and sometimes guards, can cost a lot of money.

If they do take Chase, which I'm fine with although I prefer Pitts and then Sewell...I would love to see them be aggressive and go up for Vera-Tucker if he's somehow still on the board at say 25 or later. He's a guy that can play G at a high level, and give you solid play at T if needed. He would become an instant starter, immediate upgrade and excellent scheme fit.
Reply/Quote
I’m not that high on Marshall - he is not plug and play as he needs a LOT of work on running routes and playing the WR position. Vera Tucker is both plug and play and an EXTREMELY high level interior lineman. I’d trade back up for him almost regardless.
Reply/Quote
No worries!!! We can run more goaline power formations, clock running, and double tightend sets with all of our 3 new shiny receivers all on the field together!!! Oh wait.....
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 09:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: I’m not that high on Marshall - he is not plug and play as he needs a LOT of work on running routes and playing the WR position. Vera Tucker is both plug and play and an EXTREMELY high level interior lineman. I’d trade back up for him almost regardless.

Not sure about all that. He’s pretty easily the best WR in this class after Chase and the Alabama guys, imo.

Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 09:12 PM)Joelist Wrote: I’m not that high on Marshall - he is not plug and play as he needs a LOT of work on running routes and playing the WR position. Vera Tucker is both plug and play and an EXTREMELY high level interior lineman. I’d trade back up for him almost regardless.

Recent memory tells me alot of LSU WRs drafted high are plug and play talents. Much like Clemson. Tee Higgins was a plug
And play talent. And Higgins and Marshalls talents are in The same conversation.
Reply/Quote

Vera Tucker played in the Pac 12 with Sewell so the lack of competition means he might not be plug and play....  Whatever

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Mario Cristobal, head coach at Oregon, member of a two time national championship Miami team, member of the Broncos Super bowl team, coach at Alabama for 5 years, said Sewell is the best football player he has ever seen.
Protect the crown jewel, any other opinion is asinine.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:11 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I really don’t care what former players say, as much as I may respect them. The game is fundamentally different now to such an extent that wide receivers may seriously add more winning value than offensive tackles. I’d have never said that 15 years ago.

I've heard this point made before that WRs are so much more valuable than in the past. The counter point to that is that you can find them in a lot of different rounds in the draft (we've been really successful in the 2nd, Pitt. in every round but the 1st, etc.), and that there are a lot more good wide receivers out there than there are good offensive lineman. 

Edit:

Tight ends on the other hand, are quite rare. But they are risky as they get injured more often it seems. A 1st round TE can be a bit of a gamble in my mind. Who knows which TE will be the next Kelce that never gets injured and dominates. Is it Pitts?

We have 3 really good options. I'd be happy with any of them. I'd like Chase just because he's had so much success with Burrow. Pitts could be elite. And Sewell could be a lockdown tackle for 10+ years for us. To me it's easier to get the WR later in the draft. TE is a bit of a gamble. And a cornerstone LT is just more valuable than the other two. That's what I would do when our offensive line is in dire need of improvement. You really don't know what's going to be available in the 2nd round for lineman until the 2nd round. So take the LT now, and go BPA in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote