Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anderson and Munoz say draft Sewell if there
In the end I suspect the dialogue will be moot. The Bengals are much more likely to take Chase than Sewell if both are available. Whatever we may think as fans (and I am extremely torn), it would probably behoove us to come to terms with that now. They've all but tipped their hands already, and I don't think it's smoke and mirrors. They're very likely to take Chase, could take Sewell if Atlanta takes Chase, and are highly unlikely to take Pitts at all.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 01:19 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: In the end I suspect the dialogue will be moot. The Bengals are much more likely to take Chase than Sewell if both are available. Whatever we may think as fans (and I am extremely torn), it would probably behoove us to come to terms with that now. They've all but tipped their hands already, and I don't think it's smoke and mirrors. They're very likely to take Chase, could take Sewell if Atlanta takes Chase, and are highly unlikely to take Pitts at all.

Sorry, but I missed where they tipped their hands . . . link?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 02:54 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Sorry, but I missed where they tipped their hands . . . link?

The most glaring example is probably Duke Tobin’s open appreciation for the depth of OL in the draft:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/gm-report/duke-tobin-on-wide-receiver-offensive-tackle-depth-2021-nfl-draft

If you take Malik Wright seriously, he has also projected a strong inclination by the team to pursue Chase. I would take that with a grain of salt, but there’s no denying that he’s been clued in so far this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 05:23 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The most glaring example is probably Duke Tobin’s open appreciation for the depth of OL in the draft:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/bengals/.amp/gm-report/duke-tobin-on-wide-receiver-offensive-tackle-depth-2021-nfl-draft

If you take Malik Wright seriously, he has also projected a strong inclination by the team to pursue Chase. I would take that with a grain of salt, but there’s no denying that he’s been clued in so far this offseason.

So you believe what teams say before a draft? I didn't hear a lot there but you do know that more teams put out smokescreens before that draft than actually tell the truth of who or what they are looking for, right?
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 05:23 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: The most glaring example is probably Duke Tobin’s open appreciation for the depth of OL in the draft:

I don't think acknowledging the strengths and weaknesses of a draft class is tipping their hand. 

I would think he made it obvious Sewell is the pick.

"It's a position that we're gonna focus on, we'll evaluate it at every pick we make to see if the best guy for us is an offensive lineman."

Everyone in the world knows the best guy for them is an OL to protect their franchise player.
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:48 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If all it cost is a single 3rd from next year I would trade back up to grab a Vera Tucker or a Darrisaw in a heartbeat.

Kinda my thoughts, and I'm firmly in the Sewell camp, but if we don't take him, I feel like we should do what it takes to get the next best....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting tidbit from Schrager's nfl.com mock where he has Sewell going to the Bengals:
Quote:I keep hearing the same line from those in the know: Protecting Burrow in the trenches is the priority. Insert Sewell.

Does this imply Schrager has inside info and the Bengals are leaning toward Sewell or has Schrager just Googled Bengals news online and pieced together this anecdote without any real insider info?
Reply/Quote
(04-19-2021, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: If they do take Chase, which I'm fine with although I prefer Pitts and then Sewell...I would love to see them be aggressive and go up for Vera-Tucker if he's somehow still on the board at say 25 or later. He's a guy that can play G at a high level, and give you solid play at T if needed. He would become an instant starter, immediate upgrade and excellent scheme fit.

I'm game ....just make sure you get someone that can come in and play from the jump.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 11:05 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Interesting tidbit from Schrager's nfl.com mock where he has Sewell going to the Bengals:

Does this imply Schrager has inside info and the Bengals are leaning toward Sewell or has Schrager just Googled Bengals news online and pieced together this anecdote without any real insider info?

Schrags doesn't break news all too often (if at all), but he definitely has a beat on things and has his ear to the ground, like DJ, Garofalo, Rapaport etc.; those NFLN guys know quite a bit about the goings-on in the league.

EDIT* Did want to say though, any and all rumblings/rumours/etc. by anyone at this time, should be taken with a grain of salt (and that includes Malik Wright). There are maybe c. 30 people on the planet that know whom the Bengals are taking with their pick (or rather, who they want to, should the cards fall their way) and unless one of them comes out and blatantly states the pick they are making, we won't know until the name is announced. Period.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 07:43 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: So you believe what teams say before a draft? I didn't hear a lot there but you do know that more teams put out smokescreens before that draft than actually tell the truth of who or what they are looking for, right?

That’s one of those things that fans and analysts like to talk about (the prevalence of pre-draft “smokescreens”) that I don’t think really reflects what actually happens.

We’ll see anyway. Clearly whatever happens plenty of folks will be upset.
Reply/Quote
I don't think they're putting up any smokescreens. This team doesn't do that. I think they've made up their mind, for better or worse. The draft industry is just milking us like cows at this point. Because they do do that.

For a draftnik like myself, I'm not even enjoying this anymore. I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that they've made their decision and turn my focus to the other rounds. So many compelling "down-ballot" players I'd love to add to our team who aren't getting any play because of this mind-numbing debate. For example, abundance of R3-quality among the R4s (and even R5s) this year.

I'm tempted to take myself off the grid until Day 2... wake me up, tell me what happened and we'll go from there lol.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 02:37 PM)Burma Wrote: What is mind boggling is how viturally everyone "in the know" is saying to take Sewell yet the Bengals are leaning towards Chase (possibly a smoke screen).  When everyone in the room is disagreeing with you, you have to stop and think, "is it I who am wrong?" Unless you know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are the smartest person in that room there is a good chance you are wrong. I have zero confidence that the Bengals front office is ever the smartest person in any room, contrary to their own perceptions.

if someone really wants chase it will increase the chances of a deal being presented 
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2021, 05:02 PM)Destro Wrote: Just draft a punter. None of us deserve to be happy.

Why fix it if it ain't broken, eh? We've relished in out misery so long why go for happiness now? I know..some of you want HA-Penis, but really...isn't misery just as important? Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-20-2021, 05:23 PM)grampahol Wrote: Why fix it if it ain't broken, eh? We've relished in out misery so long why go for happiness now? I know..some of you want HA-Penis, but really...isn't misery just as important? Nervous

Huh, what?
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2021, 03:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Willie Anderson wants Sewell, but he also said 'it's going to be hard to not take Chase' and he would 'understand the decision to pick Chase'. He referred to the decision as the 'chicken or the egg', saying 'the QB could use a new shiny toy, but you better hope you protect him'. 

He's had probably the most reasonable responses I've heard so far, because he can make legitimate arguments for both sides, even though he prefers one over the other.

As someone else has said on here, he's been pretty adamant on Sewell on his Twitter. Probably gave in to peer pressure a bit on the Podcast.

And tbh, I don't think reasonable should always be associated with the people who waffle and don't take a firm stance. In my mind, it's unreasonable to NOT be firm about this, when considering all factors...which include Burrow's knee, the similar talent level between Sewell/Chase, us objectively needing more bodies on the line than at WR, needing Mixon's production to match his contract, etc.

Yes, Chase is a fantastic prospect, and sure we could use him. But beyond that, there is a clear correct decision in my book, and the book of every Bengals legend who has spoken on this topic.

(04-18-2021, 03:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: For me it's been clear that the best OL at the top of the draft is the way to go.  It makes the statement of, "We have our franchise QB, now it's time to build around him.".  Protecting Joe means more than just holding off edge rushers 50-60 times per game, it's also building a rushing attack so that Joe has confidence that he can also hand the ball off 45-50% of the time, and get positive production as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if 3rd and 2 wasn't automatically a passing situation?  Sure, adding one extremely talented OT isn't going to fix all of what's been wrong with the OL, but a physical, aggressive player like Sewell is a great place to start.  I also see the need to strengthen the interior of the OL, which is why I've been fully on board with the Bengals using their 3rd or even 2nd pick on the best Guard available that fits the outside zone run blocking scheme.  I say 2nd or 3rd pick, because I also feel like the Bengals have a strong need for adding another pass rusher to the DL.

While I do see the point of surrounding your franchise QB with weapons, I also feel like Joe is good enough to elevate the weapons provided to him.  I mean, you don't draft a man who's eventually going to cost you over 20% of your yearly salary cap without having the confidence in him to elevate the players around him.  That is why it is painfully obvious to me that if you want to see this team start winning, you must build through the trenches, and give your franchise QB a fighting chance.

Preach! When you look at the elite QBs over the years (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc) how many elite WRs have those guys had?? Really that's all that needs said.

Those teams let their elite QBs improve the guys around them. They draft linemen and defense. They don't sign WRs to monster contracts. Seems every one of those guys had a new #1 every few years because their team would just let guys like Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Welker etc walk.

People aren't trying to hear that though.

(04-18-2021, 08:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I wanted to touch on this real quick too, because I've seen more people saying it. It's not so much that they need a 'speedy' receiver. There are a lot of speedy guys in this draft, but a lot of them are best suited for the slot. The Bengals need a legit outside receiver, who is also fast enough to at least make defenses respect his vertical game. They don't currently have a true outside receiver to play opposite Higgins. With the amount of 11 personnel that Zac will likely be running again, that's a problem. 

Sure, technically we need a starter who is fast...but the production is already there with Higgins and Boyd. A guy like Terrence Marshall (or someone else) could step in, provide - at a bare minimum - what we need.

Which is roughly 80 targets, 50 catches and be a deep threat. If that player develops into more than that, great! But we really don't NEED more than that. On the line, we definitely need some elite talent.

That's why I'm all in on Sewell, even though I think Chase is great. I also factor in lots of other factors like viewing Burrow as an elite QB in the making, and not wanting to pay massive contracts to a QB and a WR... ala the Falcons. Who haven't achieved much since those contracts were inked.

(04-19-2021, 08:00 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Wasn't there a couple former WRs saying take the lineman? Ninja

Yep. Housh and Tim McGee are firmly on team Sewell.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Preach! When you look at the elite QBs over the years (Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben, etc) how many elite WRs have those guys had?? Really that's all that needs said.

Those teams let their elite QBs improve the guys around them. They draft linemen and defense. They don't sign WRs to monster contracts. Seems every one of those guys had a new #1 every few years because their team would just let guys like Wallace, Santonio Holmes, Welker etc walk.

People aren't trying to hear that though.

Brees had Thomas, Rodgers has Adams, Ben for years had Brown, and Brady had Gronk. They all have had elite catching talents with them.

Granted its true they had great OL but how many players have they drafted in the 1st for the past 10 years?

Pats 2 (1 no longer on team)
Strollers 2 (1 retired)
GB 2 (Neither still on team, 1 was a bust)
NO 3

Of note, most of those picks were 8-10 years ago so they don't spend many picks on OL either.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 01:15 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Brees had Thomas, Rodgers has Adams, Ben for years had Brown, and Brady had Gronk. They all have had elite catching talents with them.

Granted its true they had great OL but how many players have they drafted in the 1st for the past 10 years?

Strollers 2 (1 retired)
NO 3

Of note, most of those picks were 8-10 years ago so they don't spend many picks on OL either.

.....and Burrow has Tee, and Boyd...and Joe Mixon. What he doesn't have is good talent up front.

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 01:15 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Brees had Thomas, Rodgers has Adams, Ben for years had Brown, and Brady had Gronk. They all have had elite catching talents with them.

Strollers 2 (1 retired)
NO 3

I didn't say none of those guys ever had a top notch WR.

I said that their teams rarely pay WRs and usually cycle them in and out. The Steelers moved on from Santonio Holmes. They moved on from Mike Wallace. The Steelers only paid Antonio Brown big money for 2 years...11.9 million and 13.6 million. Then they again moved on. They didn't want to pay Juju, either. They let him test the market.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 03:45 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I didn't say none of those guys ever had a top notch WR.

I said that their teams rarely pay WRs and usually cycle them in and out. The Steelers moved on from Santonio Holmes. They moved on from Mike Wallace. The Steelers only paid Antonio Brown big money for 2 years...11.9 million and 13.6 million. Then they again moved on. They didn't want to pay Juju, either. They let him test the market.

I just don't understand how anyone on this board who watched a single game last season can say WR is a bigger need then OL and be serious. WR is a need but we need a #3 guy after our top 2.

I also will never understand this, why anyone who posts on this board thinks they know more about the Bengals and the NFL and what it takes to succeed in the NFL, then Munoz, Willie Anderson, Tim McGee or Dave Lapham. 

Anyone who is saying we need to draft Chase, is also point blank saying "I know more about the NFL and what the Bengals need and what it takes to win then a Hall of Fame player." 

Let that sink in all you pro-Chase people.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-22-2021, 12:43 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: As someone else has said on here, he's been pretty adamant on Sewell on his Twitter. Probably gave in to peer pressure a bit on the Podcast.

And tbh, I don't think reasonable should always be associated with the people who waffle and don't take a firm stance. In my mind, it's unreasonable to NOT be firm about this, when considering all factors...which include Burrow's knee, the similar talent level between Sewell/Chase, us objectively needing more bodies on the line than at WR, needing Mixon's production to match his contract, etc.

So, the Bengals will have great options to chose from but I definitely feel it's reasonable to think that any of them will not only make the team instantly better, but provide more help for Burrow in one way or another? I'm not sure how picking a side changes that fact. I know everyone has their own preference or idea about what the 'right choice' is, but that's all it is, IMO. It they take Sewell, they'll be able to find a weapon or 2 after the 1st round. If they take Chase or Pitts, they'll be able to find linemen after the 1st round. I just don't see it as an either/or thing like some do. Jerry
Reply/Quote